Turkey Riddle Test your prowess

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Dec 22, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ok, here's a little riddle/quiz, whatever you want to call it:

One of these sentences does not belong with the others. Can you figure out which one does not belong and why?

1. Wild turkeys are native to North America.

2. Wild turkeys can fly at speeds up to 55 miles per hour.

3. Between 500-600 feathers cover the average adult turkey.

4. Benjamin Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be America's national bird.

5. Turkey hens can lay about 10-12 eggs in a season.

2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Wow, was that a speeding turkey? This is a 35 mph zone!!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

The sentence that DOES NOT belong is the last one, #5, because it refers to a Turkey Hen. All the others refer to Turkeys.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

It COULD be #4. All, except #4, state facts. #4 states an idea.?
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Does anyone eat Turkey eggs? Can you eat them? They must be HUGE? I had a friend who used to have ducks, and they ate the duck eggs. She said they were very good, better than hen eggs.
  6. rockgor

I have it on good authority that one can eat any kind of bird egg...except a chicken egg that is in the process of being dropped 50 feet.

Your answers are excellent. There are other correct answers too.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Yup, you can eat them!

When I was a kid we lived down the road from a turkey farm. We used to ride our horses by there and yell and all the turkeys would gobble. It was very funny when I was 12!

We got free turkey eggs. They are pretty big and they have a darker colored yolk than chicken eggs. When Mom baked with them she had to measure them instead of just adding two eggs.

PS I still think it's the flying one. None of the questions specify Tom turkeys versus hens so I don't think it is the egg statement.[This Message was Edited on 12/22/2006]
  8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

No idea rock,is this one o your trick questions?
    How about No. 4?
    Franklin wanted liberty,and so do the turkeys,esp at Christmas,LOL.
    Nice one rock.
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Be careful what you look for when you look up "wild turkey facts"!! I actually learned more about the whiskey than the bird!!

It's the feathers. Sorry, can't remember who answered that already but you are right!

Anyone remember the WKRP in Cincinnati episode where they dropped turkeys out of a helicopter at Thanksgiving and they fell to the ground? Even though they may be able to fly 55 mph they only do it for a very short flight. My DH always gets a little PO'd when someone tells him they can't fly!!

Hugz again,

10. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

We used to butcher a few turkeys a year 'back on the ranch' and I can tell you from personal experience (as opposed to the web) that they have mucho more feathers than 500 - 600 lol.

Wild turkeys can fly like crazy. The domesticated turkeys that we breed and raise for our consumption can hardly walk let alone fly. They can't even breed naturally but must be artificially inseminated because in our quest for bigger and better we have warped their shape so much to get the huge breast. It's pretty sad what we do to animals in the name of efficiency or even 'beauty'.

11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Howdy Rockgor,

Great to see ya. I always enjoy your creative posts. First of all, to get a bit more precise on #1, wild turkeys are actually also native to Mexico. I didn't know that until I checked it out....kinda interesting There's my new fact of the day, but I'd say that sentence still belongs with the others because it's splitting hairs.

I remember that we discussed #4 over Thanksgiving time. I didn't research sentences #2 or #3 because sentence #5 was factually incorrect according to a quick web el searcho which said the following:

How many eggs does a young turkey hen lay on an average?

Heavy Size 40 to 50 eggs per season

Medium Size 50 to 70 eggs per season

Light Size 85 to 100 eggs per season

Assuming that the source on the web is eggstra reliable (http://groups.msn.com/LimitedPoultry/basicturkeyraising.msnw), I'd have to say that sentence 5 doesn't belong!

Do I win a free turkey? Squawk squawk! :)

12. rockgor

So many eggs per season. But how long is a season?

Anyway this little test has profound implications. To solve it you must ask yourself, which sentence does not belong in the catagory.

And then you must ask yourself, what is the category. And that you can decide for yourself.

So EP was right when she picked the turkey HEN statement.

And Fight is right, because the feather statement is false. Turkeys do have thousands of feathers.

My choice was number 4. And I am also right because all the other statements are about turkeys. This sentence is about Ben Franklin.

So you are all a bunch of winners and none of you are turkeys. HAHA!

13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

everyone is right as long as they use their noodle to derive at a semi-cogent or semi-funny answer! Hey, you can make turkey noodle casserole....yummy!
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I didnt know Turkeys could fly!!!!!

15. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I didn't know they could fly either! I've never given this much thought to turkeys before. I just eat'em. :)