Turmeric, for Alzheimers, Colorectal Cancer, the list goes on

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Nov 12, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Tumeric: A Powerful, Health-Promoting Spice
    By Ben Kim, D.C.

Ounce for ounce, few spices can compete with the health-promoting effects of tumeric. Commonly used in curry sauces in South Asian cuisine, this golden yellow spice is showing up with increasing frequency in medical journals all over the world as researchers identify the many health attributes of tumeric.

Recent Findings

Curcumin, the active component of tumeric, may help the immune system eliminate protein that is suspected of accumulating to form damaging plaques in the brains of people who develop Alzheimer's disease.
    Only 1 percent of the elderly in India develop Alzheimer's disease - this is one-quarter the rate of Alzheimer's development in North America. This difference is thought to be due in part to regular consumption of curry in India.
    Daily intake of curcumin may decrease the risk of developing polyps in the colon, which in turn, decreases the risk of developing colorectal cancer.
    Regular consumption of tumeric may help to ease pain and inflammation that accompanies arthritis.
    Curcumin may be helpful in the treatment of some cases of cystic fibrosis.
    Curcumin can help to effectively treat skin cancer cells.
    Tumeric may help to prevent the spread of breast cancer cells.
    The medicinal properties of tumeric are so significant that the National Institutes of Health is currently conducting clinical trials to determine if tumeric (curcumin) should be a part of conventional treatment recommendations for Alzheimer's disease, colorectal cancer, pancreatic cancer, and multiple myeloma.

If you would like to add tumeric to your diet via curry powders and sauces, be sure that tumeric appears on the list of ingredients. Many curry powders, sauces, and recipes use cumin, which is not to be confused with curcumin or tumeric. The health-promoting effects listed in this article are attributable to curcumin found in the spice tumeric.

In addition to being a main ingredient of authentic curry powders and sauces, tumeric is also abundant in prepared mustards. When purchasing mustard, choose one that lists tumeric close to the beginning on its list of ingredients.
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Thank you for this post. Years ago my Dr. told me to eat a lot of tumeric. I don't eat enough, though, bacause I'm still am not good at making curry. How about a recipe?
    Thanks,
    Terry
  3. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

and since you seem to be interested : i found a good site just a few days ago.
    elispad, if you dont mind i post this here.
    by the way, this site i got it from is great.
    www.kitchenmedicinebook.com
    eat well
    karina

Although best known as a spice that gives a distinctive flavor and yellow color to curry powder and mustard, turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a member of the ginger family and has long been used for healing.
    Turmeric is seldom used in medicine in the West except as a coloring. However, over the last few years there has been increasing interest in turmeric and its medicinal properties, and large numbers of scientific studies have been published.

Turmeric has long been used in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory, to treat digestive disorders and liver problems and for the treatment of skin diseases and wound healing. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, which has been the subject of numerous animal studies – but as of yet, very few studies on people – demonstrating various medicinal properties. Curcumin has been shown, for example, to stimulate the production of bile and to facilitate the emptying of the gallbladder. It's also demonstrated in animals a protective effect on the liver, anti-tumor action and ability to reduce inflammation and fight certain kinds of infection. Because of the centuries-old claim that turmeric reduces inflammation (backed up by recent scientific findings) turmeric may be very well worth a try to help relieve symptoms of arthritis.

Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and other traditional medicine systems practiced in India have relied on this pungent spice for centuries, and there turmeric has been used for generations to treat indigestion, inflammation and a host of other ailments including fever, wounds, infections, dysentery, arthritis, jaundice and other liver problems. Following the lead of their near neighbors, the Chinese adopted turmeric and used it in similar fashion.

One secret of turmeric's medicinal power is the many antioxidants it contains. You'll recognize some of the more common ones, such as vitamins C and E, along with several carotenoids. It also contains lesser-known, but more effective antioxidants – specifically, curcumin and related compounds called curcuminoids. Antioxidants are also powerful preservatives, which helps explain why turmeric has long been sprinkled on food to help retain its freshness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Related book:
    How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medincine
    In this comprehensive, practical approach to combating and preventing cancer, readers can assess their risks through a screening questionnaire, learn to change their internal environment to thwart cancer... continues...
    (Concept: curcumin)
    Recently, substances called cyclo-oxygenase inhibitors have won praise as powerful miracle aspirins for blocking inflammation, especially inflammation caused by arthritis and gout, and may be of help in inflammatory ailments of the hand and wrist such as carpal tunnel syndrome. Turmeric, like its cousin ginger, contains some natural cyclo-oxygenase inhibitors. Some studies compare it to Ibuprofen. Research suggests it works almost as well and with none of the side effects.
    In India, curcumin is considered a standard anti-inflammatory medication. It appears to be most effective for acute (as opposed to chronic) inflammation. Many sources recommend curcumin for arthritis-related inflammation and pain, but the evidence showing its effectiveness for arthritis is unclear. In a 1980 study published in India, rheumatoid arthritis patients who took 1,200 milligrams of curcumin a day experienced the same reduction in stiffness and joint swelling as those who took the prescription anti-inflammatory drug phenylbutazone, which can have unpleasant side effects.

In fact, studies also suggest that turmeric can stop inflammation about half as well as a corticosteroid called cortisone. Corticosteroid medications are considered the "gold standard" for stopping inflammation. The problem with these drugs is that their potential side effects, such as fluid retention, high blood pressure, and bone damage, are nearly as impressive as their benefits, so for those wishing to avoid these, turmeric may be very well worth a try as an alternative.

Turmeric has also showed promise in lowering cholesterol levels and fighting atherosclerosis, a build-up of fatty deposits in the arteries that can lead to heart attack. Preliminary studies indicate that the curcumin in turmeric may even block the progression of multiple sclerosis (MS). The interest in the plant's potential for preventing neurological diseases, such as MS and even Alzheimer's, was spurred by the realization that elderly Indian populations that consume considerable amounts of Turmeric in their diet are far less likely than their Western counterparts to develop such ailments. Scientists conjecture that turmeric benefits such neurological illnesses by minimizing inflammation, a theory supported by recent findings that people (Westerners in this case) regularly taking anti-inflammatory remedies for arthritis are less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease. More research in this area is clearly needed before any specific recommendations can be made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Related book:
    The Inflammation Syndrome : The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
    Challem's new book hits a home run -; with the latest research on what to eat and take to defeat our real number-one cause of health problems -; inflammation. It's a message of the utmost importance.... continues...
    (Concept: inflammation)

Reinforcing one of turmeric's many ancient uses, German health authorities have declared Turmeric tea to be a valuable remedy for digestive problems. Laboratory findings support this: The curcumin in turmeric fights bacteria commonly responsible for infectious diarrhea. Clinical trials have been promising for this time-tested use as well. In a widely cited 1989 study, researchers found that 500-milligram capsules of curcumin taken four times daily were far more effective than a placebo in relieving indigestion.
    Animal studies provide evidence that turmeric can protect the liver from a number of damaging substances such as carbon tetrachloride and acetominophen (popularly known as paracetamol and used commonly for headache and pain, this can cause liver damage if taken in large quantities or in someone who drinks alcohol regularly.) Turmeric accomplishes this, in part, by helping to clear such toxins from the body and by protecting the liver from damage.

Finally, there has been a substantial amount of research on turmeric's anti-cancer potential. Evidence from laboratory and animal studies suggests that curcumin has potential in the treatment of various forms of cancer, including prostate, breast, skin, and colon. Human studies will be necessary before it's known to what extent these results may apply to people.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

5. findmind

findmind New Member

This is interesting news, but I have no idea what kind of recipies would use it! Crockpotting is my favorite way to cook right now; I use to prepare full dinners each day, but am tired of it.

Does anyone know how to use tumeric to advantage in cooking? I eat brown rice only rarely; I've heard it can be put in that, but that's all I know.

Also why is it so expensive?

findmind
  6. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

actually in ayurveda there is different ways how to use it and it depends a bit of what kind of a person you are.
    it has cooling propertys, so for someone who is allways is hot and has a lot of issues with inflammation it can be even taken just in water in the morning , one teaspoon.
    but for someone who is allways cold, it should not be used so often or in combination with ginger and other heating stuff. it is great with hot milk and ginger or ginger, black tea.

in cooking it is mainly used in rice dishes and currys.
    if you cooke long corn rice it makes a gooooood dish.
    one tea spoon ,
    one ognion,
    and rice
    cocked in a little veg. bouillon (no gluten one)
    you can put some other spices in, i like it like that and my son too. it is good for digestion.

other way is with veggis stew (my own inv.)
    zucchini small slices,
    mushroom
    red an yellow peppers
    (colifl.?)
    ognion
    small pieces of chicken
    saute in a bit with ghee or bouillon with the tumeric and add some milk or creeme just before its finish
    serve with white rice or brown.

with chicken you can make great currys, but this recip. are more complicated and if you want i can write it down for anoter time.

good apetite
    karina
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

karinaxx those sound scrumptous! I saved them and will get into it when I get moved!

Until then, my brain is mush.

Hugs,
    findmind
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thanks for the good recipe ideas. You make it sound really easy. I'm going to try them.
    Terry
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks, Elliespad and Karina, for this interesting information.

Here's another easy recipe that uses a lot of turmeric:

Dhal (Indian style split peas)

1 cup yellow split peas, soaked 1 hour
    3 cups water
    2 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Bring water to a boil and stir in the drained split yellow peas. Cover and let simmer.

Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil and fry the onion until golden. Add turmeric and cayenne pepper and fry for a minute or two. Stir into the simmering peas. Cover and continue simmering until peas are soft -- about 30 minutes. Add salt and lemon juice. Stir well.

Serve over hot, fresh rice.

Dhal is sort of like meat loaf in the US: there are lots of different recipes for it, and every cook has a favorite recipe.

This one is from "A Taste of India" by Mary S. Atwood.

You can adapt it for crockpot or pressure cooker. I use my pressure cooker. :)

Love,
    Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2006]
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

daily of regular turmeric. I purchase it cheaply through Puritan ( Puritan's Pride ) .

The benefits have been well studied related to cancer and alzheimers. It is a potent antioxidant. Turmeric has shown to have an impressive effect on tumors as documented by MD Anderson cancer hospital study , which can be found via google.
  11. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

made a mistake with the vegis-chicken rec.
    you have to add a bit of curry to it.

hope you getting that, otherwise it will taste not right.

karina