Turned Down For SS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by j9miller, Sep 7, 2002.

1. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I got my letter from SS today. "Unfavorable". I cannot believe this. I expected to be denied but when it actually happened I am so angry. FM is subjective they say. I did not complain and go to drs enough. I did not go to the hospital enough. They don't seem to get that drs do nothing for us other than give meds (sometimes) so why torture ourselves and go all the time. Judge mentioned that my weight gain may contribute to my pain - I am overweight but that has NEVER effected how, when and if I do ANYTHING. I am so livid. Now, do I fight or just quit all this stress inducing fighting and concentrate on me?

Janine
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I got my letter from SS today. "Unfavorable". I cannot believe this. I expected to be denied but when it actually happened I am so angry. FM is subjective they say. I did not complain and go to drs enough. I did not go to the hospital enough. They don't seem to get that drs do nothing for us other than give meds (sometimes) so why torture ourselves and go all the time. Judge mentioned that my weight gain may contribute to my pain - I am overweight but that has NEVER effected how, when and if I do ANYTHING. I am so livid. Now, do I fight or just quit all this stress inducing fighting and concentrate on me?

Janine
  3. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi Janine,

I know this is a stressful situation - but I really believe that you have to fight for what you need. If going to doctors and the hospital is what it takes to get you on disability, then do it! Even if fighting for disability is a potentially stressful thing to do, I think that in the long run in it will be worth it. So do what you have to, but also take it easy and (it's an easy thing to say, but...) try to keep your stress to a minimum.

I don't think that disability is available here in New Zealand for FM or CFS. I believe that the ME Society (it seems that ME is the term for CFS over here) has fought for changes in the way that Work & Income New Zealand deals with people with ME.

Alison
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You just keep fighting, but do it in a calm way not to stress yourself! Think it through, and then take action.

Believe me, your weight has nothing to do with the pain! I am thin and my pain is unreal when it starts up. My husband is way over his normal weight, and he rarely complains about back pain. He lost 40 pounds and still has about that much to lose.

That was uncalled for for that judge to even mention your weight!

You just keep trying, I don't run to doctors either, what for? They never helped me much.

Shalom, Shirl

5. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

This really angers me. From Webters Dictionary:
    Sub-jec-tive adj. Taking place within, relating to or preceding from an individual's emotions or mind.

So what is SSA saying? That FM is a psychological problem...just like so many of our doctor's have said? How can anyone win if that's their view of FM?

Janine, did you have any other diagnoses other than FM when you filed for diability?

I'm in the middle of filling out my forms now. They sent me one describing my panic attacks, and one describing my pain and how each of those diagnoses has affected my life, daily living, etc.

As I have heard from so many others, it seems to win you need another diagnosis. Depression seems to be one that gets their attention.

I still can't believe they think FM is subjective! What's wrong with those people?!?

Keep fighting. Get a lawyer. Keep fight until you win.

Good Luck,
    Regina
  6. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

every month or 2. Never give up. There are many that get turned down and my friend 3 times. Get every record on you you can and get an expert in FMS CFS to represent you.

Good Luck, Kim and Gary
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

The way to fight it without becoming quite so stressed out is with an attorney who knows what he/she is doing. I found a great one through my local support group. By having him on my side I don't have to wonder if I am doing the right things, saying the right things. He's there to guide me and read over everything before I submit it.

It is important that you see a doc regularly while you are trying to win approval. Even if you don't like doing it, it shows that you are trying everything possible to get better and it's still not helping.

Good luck to you.

Barbara
  8. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I think you are all right about my fighting. I am just worn down at this moment but I will rest and come out with all I have.

I filed my disabilty stating FM, ruptured discs in my back (spent a week in the hospital in Aug 2000 and then 3 months in a hospital bed hooked to a demerol pump in my living room), severe TMJ (have had 2 surgeries and need another). The letter stating my denial was horrible. They said my testimony was not credible. I did not complain enough etc ... I do got to the dr every 3 months, the chiro more often than that and lately my GYN for female problems every month. I take Vicodin 3x a day (2 tabs at a time) and I am in pain 24/7. I feel like a little kid being reprimanded for not playing fair. These judges really know how to make you feel like s#%@.

Janine
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

I also am in the process of trying to get my SSD. Right now I am at the "reconsideration" level. I was told this could take up to six months just to get the answer back from this stage. Am also fighting denials from LTD and early retirement. Please don't give up, this is what they want you to do. I realize now some of the mistakes I made when I filled out my initial paperwork. It seems second nature to me to "sugarcoat" my symptoms, I guess it's just too hard to totally focus on just how bad they are. As I recently read somewhere, when we answer questionnaires we should give the answers that describe our very worse days, and that I did not do. Social Security send me to one of their Psychologists and I will admit I wasn't totally truthful with him, which I am sure is going to hurt my claim. He asked some very personal questions regarding past experiences (childhood, etc.) and I felt that if I was to confide in anybody about these situations it would be somebody of my choice, not theirs. So in all actuality what I did was sabatoge (sp??) myself. Hope I can correct it with my next denial. Keep fighting for what is rightfully yours, you will get a lot of support from this board.

Dara
  10. toniad

toniad New Member

This is my 2nd case with them, I went all the way to the appeal of the administrative law judge and lost the appeal, and the lawyer said no way would he take me to Federal Court at my age (29). So, I reapplied, been turned down twice this year, now I'm waiting on my appointment for the next court date. I am hoping and PRAYING i don't get the same @*)#$& jerk judge!!! He was heartless, I had a very similar experience as you did, he was really derogatory towards me.So, I went and found one of the biggest firms in my city to represent me this time, he is very thorough, this new lawyer, and I like him much more.

I'm not sure, should I take my meds before I go to court? lol. I'll be a blubbering idiot, I will be very stoned. What do y'all think?

I need all the luck I can get. I could stand to get 3 years back pay if he rules in my favor this time. That is a fat check, that I really need.

I don't know what to do. I can't work, and I want to. I can't take care of my daughter without money. It's been a long 2 1/2 years since I started fighting them (big brother).

Wish me luck guys! and any advice or suggestions is very welcomed!
    Thanks
    Tonia
  11. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

just wanted to let you know i felt EXACTLY the same way!

it's like a slap in the face...

keep fighting, i am!
  12. allhart

allhart New Member

hugs and prayers,im so sorry ,please keep fighting them the more of us who do and eventally win maybe they will take notice and make it easieer for us
    and others i in the future
    doe anyone know who we could all wright to start complaining about the treatment we recive from the ssa,
    i think most of us are to sick to complain enough to the right places so we are over looked,the only way anything is going to change is all of us fighting
  13. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

No makeup, look like your worst day and even if you don't like to show your pain etc. Show it. Gary was lucky got it first application. Good luck to you all. Kim and Gary
  14. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I needed this great support to remind me to never give up. You are all the best. Thanks.

Janine