Turning On Porchlight # 558

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Goatwoman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

Onwards and upwards--

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Will go out to eat very closeby for the New Year with some friends. Will be home way before New Years Eve (midnight)!!

Happy New Years to everydobby. I am knee deep in Christms things to put away. By for now.

Love you awl,
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids, just had an almost vegetarian lunch. Stuff I bought this morning
    at Costco. Spent all my money on V-8 juice and produce. I had steamed
    butternut squash w/ margarine and brown sugar; fresh raw peas (already
    shelled) (podded?); and potatoes and gravy. For dessert, rasp and black

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get together and have a pot luck!

I tried all last week and never had the pep to get to the library. According
    to the library web site, the place was open today. I was eager to go. We
    have 14 books waiting. But when we drove by we saw the place was closed.

Springwater, your recent post wins the Lena and Ole award for vocabulary.
    Have never before seen a post here that used "nonplussed". I don't know
    what to say.

How did Carla's message get on your post?

Julie, how creative of Dennis to do trompe l'oeil rugs. I love trompe
    l'oeil. You can find lots of examples on the net.

Granni, are you getting worn out w/ all your socializing or are you having
    fun, fun, fun? Maybe a little of both?

Thanks for the kick off, Georgia. Diane, stop by more often. Keep us up to
    date on doings at the pawnshop.

4. springwater

springwater Active Member

Rock - that was a computer gremlin; I put Carlas name along with all the others i was wishing and it came out at the bottom

well, Happy new year again in case people dont open the old porch

i gots to go visit mIL and dhs cousin but its soooo cold, no sun and got the shivers

last night son and dh had a huge spat;

three of us went for a quiet dinner at the hotel and then son wanted to go
    spend rest of night wth his friends; we refused, this batch of friends smoke
    and who knows what else and we are both worried about overnighters

son was livid

i thnk its better when kids remain kiddies

less stress /drama

son has cooled off some now; has gone off to meet another friend

God Bless
  5. Granniluvsu

Spring Water - Yes, I know what you mean about kids. Unfortunatly, they grow up much to fast. How old is your dear son anyways? Sorry that the spat had to ruin your lovely quiet dinner but kids are kids. They always want to be independant of their parents. I know you worry. I still worry about my daughter who is 44 years of ago and has 3 children, one in Air Force Basic Training. Trouble always seems to follow that sweet girl. Part of the problem is that many parents are not as worried or watchful as you and I.

Also, sometimes with some kids trouble finds them anyway, even if parents are trying to watch them !! Your DS does seem like a nice young man with brains but lets face it,sometimes kids are kids anyways, even if they have watchful parents, but are hanging out with dopey friends :)!!

We had a lovely dinner last night at the club with two other couples. We has filet minion ( I think) and lobster tails. I haven't had that in many years. The food was so good !! Nice and quiet and we could actually talk to and listen each other. In many restaurants you cannot do so (hear each other).

Julie - so sorry you fell so hard on your butt on the cemet yet. Luckily you were not hurt worse. Hope it will not hurt you to much in athe future, along with other things. You haven enough problems.

Went to church this morning and am now cooking a very small pork loin with baked potatoes. We ran to Home Depot this afternoon to talk to the lady who was not there yestersay so we could talk to you. We picked out one of the two counter tops on sale that they are phasing out. One was to light this a bit dark but had some colors I think will work out.. DH took the measurements and we will bring back the measurements tomorrow to see if we can afford it. The counter tops I have now are pretty old and almost a almond color so light, like our awful tile floors. They always seem to be dirty. So we will see if we can afford it or not.

Hugz to everyone !
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2012]
  6. springwater

Brrr nasty cold rainy morning i think temps went dwn to zero at last night

Julie - poor Lorraine; i remember my kids getting that vomiting thing
    the doc called it winter diarreoah or something; hope the little one gets well soon

also sorry to hear you hurt yourself; grrrr; did ithave to happen now ? but happy to hear there are no fractures

did i tell you my friends young daughter (20s)also suffered bad bruises after being hit by a speeding motorbike?

take care of yourself; that area is so painful as i have found out myself sometimes when bumping it against furniture or some such

Granni - my son turned 20 in september no longer a boy but he is immature for his age; a late bloomer; due to rampant availability of drugs and marijuana etc in our country there are so many young people hooked on to these and we are obviously scared. he seemed okay yesterday but definitely pulling at the reigns now; and we would like to give him his independence but only when he shows signs of maturity and being able to make right decisions.

i stayed home yesteray all day , it was so cold and then made avaliant effort
    and went and visited MIL.Happy i accomplished that; more so because it was a nice good feel meeting. she was mellow and gave me some home baked goods and noodles to take tomy son.

well, take care all

God Bless
  7. Granniluvsu

You are right to make a fuss if he has been doing things he shouldn't. If he wonders why, tell him ( even if he doesn't' like to hear it)- that if he wants independance and to be treated like an adult he needs to act like one.

Of course there are some adults who do not act grown up either , but don't tell him that !!Glad also the MIL was being pleasant this time. Hope it warms up in your neck of the woods soon. it is getting chilly here again ! The wind is from the North again and feeling cold when it blows.

Have to get off here. Looks like we probably won't be getting that counter top but I do want to get the price tomorrow. It is not the right time even if it was a sale. Need to get the house painted among other things. Dang it !! That is what happens when the house is getting old - lots of stuff needs to be done.

Love to all,

[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2012]
  8. springwater

Again a cold morn.

Julie - good to know you are recovering well from that nasty fall. My friends
    daughters assailant, the person riding the mobike was immediately caught there and then and sent to jail. It happened just outside her office. so the office workers were able to act quickly; getting her to a hospital andall. friend told
    me she started work from yesterday altho her bruises are still swollen but the office was shorthanded and she was getting bored at home.

Julie - my SIL and her dh built their house from scratch in switzerland, and
    it is one of the prettiest houses i have seen. the dh used to work in carpentry
    before he switched lanes into banking and he and his brothers and their wives all pitched in to help with the building and it is so well planned. not a space wasted, nothing where it shouldnt be. as can be expected SIL after living with her dhs family (parents and four younger brothers in one house) she was so excited she
  9. springwater

she used to keep sending her mom updated photosof the work in progress.

this was15 years ago; now her BILs all have moved out

last night i attended a lengthy prayer ceremony, 3 hour of sitting crosslegged
    on mats and reciting verses.

but happy atthe end. there were like 40 people.

Have to go out on errand now.

Take care all

God Bless
  10. teacher

teacher New Member

I would like to start the new year with an apology.

I'm sorry I've been missing without explanation.

I had to do another round with the low-iodine diet so I could take a test round of radioactive iodine. This was to be sure that we had gotten rid of all the cancerous thyroid material from my body.

I'm cancer-free.

The proscess made me sick.

Then with the time change, SAD started working and I had issues with that. I'm better now.

THEN I got completely paranoid because I hadn't been able to find the energy to talk to you all without being the downer I knew I would be so I just stayed away.

I even told my counselor that I was afraid to come back becasue I had been away for so long without explaining why. That you would be upset with me.

Believe it or not, I did think about you all every day.

Now that my head is getting back to it's usual state of chaos, I'm here to apologize for disappearing without explaining what was happening. I hopr I haven't orffended anyone.

11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Justa short note.

Had a busy day yesterday. Watered all the plants; went to the market;
    took Gordon to the garage to get his car fixed; did the dishes; cooked
    squash; walked Zipper; did more dishes; filled out a jury duty form.

Noting too exciting; just everyday stuff.

Granni, you know what you should do if that counter top is too expensive.
    Make a counter offer. Ha Ha!

Springwater, did you power go off during your post? You must have thighs
    of steel if you can sit cross legged for 3 hours.

Teacher, what wonderful news! Cancer free! And no apology needed.
    Do you feel better or just exhausted?

Julie, scary fall. Is there an injure to your sacrum? I sure hope not. One
    of my coworkers used a donut at work for months.

Library was closed for 3 days. Gonna try again to get there today.

12. Granniluvsu

Not much time to post. DH wants to go and sit outside but i think it is to cold to do so, in a little while. Then have to fix dinner. My hands are so cold just typing.

Julie - yes you were lucky not to have gotten much more hurt that you did. Hope it is not hurting to badly. I know to of others who have really hurt their sacrums; like ROCK said, and had to sit on those rubber donuts for some time.

Teacher - Somehow I missed your post but was so glad to hear that you are now cancer free. That is a wonderful Christmas present. Glad you are back with us, even if you just pop in now and then when it is a good time. With working I can imagine that it is a very hard thing to be abale to find time to do. i need to go back and check your post. We missed you here. The Porch has been a bit slowly lately for many reasons I am sure. The holidays also makes it such a busy time for all. Guess you are starating back to school now. They have here this week after New Years Day, I think. Hope Baby is behaving for you.

Spring Water - how can you sit cross legged for so long?? I cannot do that at all. However, you are a youngun as Jerry (Green Onions)would say and much more flexible than I. Rock and I are to old for that :)!!

BTW, I like that counter offer joke ROCK !!!! We have not decided what we are doing yet. I have a feeling that if we don't get something we may never do it with things the way they are going. May go talk to the lasy who was helping us to see about some of the other ones that were on sale but not as cheap as this one. The one on a great sale is VERY dark with a lot of black in it witha a little mauvey color I guess I would call it. Also picked out a black splash that would work with it (tile). We will see, about the others on sale if not to bad in price.

Thinking about all our MIA Porchies and everydobby else. Hope all are well !!

Gotta run for now.

Love to awl
  13. Granniluvsu

How exciting to hear that Linds is carrying twins. Do they know the sexes yet or do they even want to know?? Sorry she has been having such a time with the morning sickness and flu bug, etc. Is she a little thing that can't afford to lose any more weight? Hope she stops this getting sick soon. That is just terrible and then trying to take care of baby Raine too. OMG, you all will be so busy with twins !!!!! I can hardly believe that our twin grand sons will be starting high school this next fall. Time is just whizzing by ! I remember when they were so little and needed so much care.

I just wish my DIL would get pregnant. I know they both wanat a child very badly. Hopeully one of these days they at least can adopt one. Right now they are so busy with work and her father living with them who can't do much on his own any more they can't even leave from work to go and take the classes they will need to retake in order to foster to adopt. Neither of them are getting much younger either.

Congratulations to Linday and David and hugs to you too. Then the busy people just keep on getting busier :)!!!!!!

14. teacher

teacher New Member

It HAS been rough.

Happy New Year!

Happy Twins!

Here's to better health. One minute at a time.

Joke I saw online today:

Woment don't stand around in the snow without a coat.

hee hee hee hee hee

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2012]
  15. springwater

Good Lord! you could be gone a year and we would not be upset with you.

We love you, dont you know that?

Youre cancer free, praise God.

Imagine havng to go through all that and on top of it to be thinking we
    here at the porch would be mad, youre crazy girl!

Rock - great to hear yu had such a productive day, yes the lights went
    off and my post was unfnished. such are the ways of power cuts

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2012]
  16. springwater

Julie - congratulations are in order, twins eh?! i hope you and Raine are over
    the flu soon. take lots of fluids and resist the temptation to get up and help everyone, at least till you feel stronger.

Granni - agree, Rocks joke was rocking! counter offer. hahaha. im guessing
    with the winter here, one chore is struck off a your list, - weeding!

i went out yesterday afternoon and got my packet of dried meat from friend.
    nice break meeting her. her poor girl came back from office and she was limping
    and moving slowly and her face all swollen and bruised. what a brave kid.

i treated myself to some meat dumplings and due to the cold weather the steaming dumplings withhot chilli dip was so out of this world tasty. eh, glutton i am. There is a restaurant outside the supermarket and iwent there by myself with a book. very nice lift me up.

at home lights went off at 8pm.

no sunlight all day so solar lights no workee. lit candles. and pretended i was in an 17th century abbey. very romantic.

Hobbes is in pain. he was barking throughout night. we had kept him
    near the kerosene heater in our room. him and poopsie. at 2am son came
    up stomping and told us, "for heavens sake, how can you sleep? " and took HObbes downb with him to his room,. Must have cuddled him up in theblankets or something after that the incessant barking stopped. or the painkiller i gave him earlier started working.

dunno what to do. doc doesnt want to operate. and i am not going to see the dog suffer badly. he has been all right mostly. sometimes in evening he starts barking and i know its because those lumps are hurting. he is too much in good health and spirits for me to put him down and i cant bear thinking of him deteriorating like Tommy. The question begs, WHY GOD? why would you do this to my dogs? to any dogs.

God BLess

we all

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2012]
  17. Granniluvsu

Spring Water - so sorry to hear that Hobbs was in so much pain last night. How sweet of your son to take him up with him and help soothe his pain in whatever way he could. Sounds like a good kid to me :)!! Yes, that is a very hard question as to whether toput down a pet. If he continues to be in constant pain you will have to decide. That is always a very hard question to ponder.

DH had a dog while growing up who he still had when we married and had two of our girls. He was quite old by then - a mutt ( part beagle and German Shepard) or something wierd like that. Anyway, he was going blind and had other problems I know and was very old. It is so long ago that I cannot remembaer all his problems. However, the decision was made to have him put down. It was very sad, even though we knew he was suffereing. He was such a sweet dog.

You are right Sweet Water, not much weeding right now but raking and picking up leaves and dead stuff is another chore DH somehow always has to get me in on.

Thinking of all our dear Porchies present and MIA !

18. teacher

teacher New Member

Still a bit out there from the low-iodine diet, so my mind isn't too good.

Hangin' in there though.

Work has been depressing lately so don't even ask.

I got a new Smurf for Christmas!

AND three new pairs of shoes! Woo hoo!

Loafers for dress, Dockers (aka boat shoes) for every day and tennis shoes.

I don't play tennis, but that's OK. They're POLO brand.

Don't play polo either, but I sure look cute when I wear them!

House is still have unpacked. Oh well. I have until March to get it together. I think that's when I'm gonna have a party.

Gonna go to bed now. This has been the longest three day work week I've endoured in AGES!

19. Granniluvsu

I am sitting here still in bath robe and jammies. I need to go get dressed but since I am on here I wanated to post a short one.

Julie - So sorry Lindsay is having such problems. Gee, I used to be thta little like her. Howver, I had no problems assosiated with the pregnancy or anything like asthma to go along with it, plus the morning sickness, bug or whatever she had. I hardly ever threw up when I was pregnant.

You all have so much on your plate. How can you work if you are helping Lindsay, Lorraine, and trying to get Linds healthy and hold those babies til term? Is she still going to get a pic for administration of fluids? Poor kid, all this with being pregnant with twins and baby Raine ! Hope all goes well for her and the babies. That is so exciting - TWINS. Is she going to want to want to know the sexes, do you think? Thinking of you and everyone and your parents too. How is Den's dad doing?

Now you had better stay well with all that you have to do !! When are Linds' babies due? Of course twins may come early and if she is having problems they may want to induce her a bit early also, esp with her asthma, etc.

I had better go and get dressed before it is nood. DH is going to hit golf balls since the weather is so good and he hadn't hit a ball for sometime. He is going with 2 other guys.

Teacher - Hope you are starting to feel a bit better after all your physical problems you were going through . How is back to school?

Again, thinking of everydobby, present and MIA !

Hope to check back in real soon again.

20. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Nice to read about everything going on in your life.

I'm not sure where you all live, but those of you needing things for your house--see if your area has a Habitat for Humanity store--people donate all kinds of things--leftovers from remodeling projects, tools, light fixtures. You never know what you will find there. The money earned goes to help fund additional houses for Habitat for Humanity. We have a store here they have everything except clothing.