TV show on Westboro Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Oct 9, 2011.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Discovery ID had a show called "The Most Hated Famly in America." It was by the BBC and was about mostly about the the Westboro Baptist Church. the reporter wanted to speak to the head family member, who was the paster of the church, but that interview went sour quickly. that church group are the ones that are protesting at the funerals of soldiers with the signs of hate messages. They are classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Their reporter wanted to spend time with the church members and get a behind the scenes feel for the members, how they lived, how they spent their off time, how they got along in the community, how the young adult members felt, and wanted to interview the actual pastor, and wanted to find out more about their protests and how they thought and why they do what they do. I thought it was a good show because of the approach of the reporter.

The reporter talking to members of the church discovered that this church has gone beyond just protesting at funerals of soldiers and were protesting at a local store that sells Swedish items because one of their members was arrested in Sweden. In protesting the store, they used their many and varied signs of hate messages and shouted their hate messages.

The reporter found the protests expanded to include area churches and again they used the same hate messaging. they also rejoiced at people who had cancer, and when a local church had a fire that burned part of it.

The reporter met with more senior male members of the church, including the pastor, and they responded to questions in a condescending obnoxious manner and his questions were not answered. I was looking forward to an honest and forthcoming diaglogue that might lead everyone to better understanding this group, and instead these senior members did not want to discuss the group at all.

For family activities, the reporter joined mostly the younger people as they were the friendliest and they had fun roller skating and bowling and there was a trampoline out back. I liked seeing the younger people laughing, having fun, so light hearted and seemingly light years away from the protests.

in talking with the girls from church that are in the local high school, the reporter found the girls have no friends in the high school and are not liked there. The girls said they will not marry. In fact several young woman and young adult woman said they will not marry because they are too busy in their cause with the church and one mentioned that God will be bringing everything to an end soon. You sensed a real isolation in that the only friends these young people had, were within their own church, and not people down the street, nor in their community nor in their school. Imagine if you had to go to school under those circumstances.

The reporter was present and filmed one of their protests on the sidewalk at a highway where the church members and their very young children were carrying signs of hate messages, a sign of stick figures doing a sexual act, and yelling very loudly what was on the signs as the cars passed by. A car passing by threw a drink at the crowd and hit a 7 year old boy carrying one of the hate signs. The church members were rightfully upset that a car would throw out anything, but the church members had no realization that their children probably didn't belong "on the protest lines" because of this very reason. The children didn't even know and understand what the signs they were carrying meant. I felt very sorry for the young boy that was hit with the drink and I felt very sorry for the rest of the children.

What was mentioned in parts of this program was that some young women had left this church and gone out on their own. This meant they were no longer part of the church group and apparently seemed to be disowned. After the program ended, came on a note that even more young women left the church group to go out on their own. Such extreme isolation of the young people within their communities, and the young women somehow with the belief that they will not marry, may have created a need to break away and be with the rest of the world.

If you wish to see the whole documentary, here it is:

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2011]
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I don't agree with what the group does, but I was hoping to see a dialogue between the reporter and the senior members about how their beliefs came about and much more. You can dislike what people do, but still engage in respectful communication between a reporter from the BBC and senior members of the group that gave the reporter access to one of their homes, church, protests, and some members. That just didn't happen.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Radicals and hate groups come in many flavors but their messages and actions speak very negatively about them. That they almost always involve young children is not healthy. They attract the fringes of society but like the squeaky wheel, they get a lot of attention. Let's hope mainstream sanity will prevail.

It's too bad that nothing was learned about the inner thinking of the members but I'm not really surprised. Thanks for letting us know about the documentary.

Love, Mikie