TV's in the revelation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Jun 12, 2007.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I woke up today to a revelation...

My tv in the bedroom is making me ill!!!!

Last wednesday I started feeling really bad again, went down hard, too tired to do anything......and I've just figured out why.

After going without my Armed Forces satelite for over a month in the new house, we had someone install it and it was finished last tuesday.

My shows are back, yeah!! I can watch tv in bed again, yeah!!!!

What's wrong with this picture???? It's making me sick, it has to be, it's the only thing that's changed.

We had been watching dvd's of Friends episodes the entire month that we didn't have satelite and I was always out cold by 8:15 at night. Woke up feeling great, well rested and ready to start my day.

I was showering, making the bed, getting laundry done and cleaning the house on a schedule.....until last Thursday.

Tonight and everynight from now's repeats and dvd's that I've seen before in the bedroom. Hubby's in for a surprise tonight when he gets home.

But the good part is that I'm betting I'll be feeling better in a week or so....

They always say to remove the tv from the bedroom, that it effects the way we sleep. I thought I needed it to fall asleep.......when I'm wrong, I admit it.

They were RIGHT all along.

How many of you could be going through the same thing???

Nancy B
  2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

How interesting! I almost always fall asleep with the TV on. I have never noticed if I sleep better or not when I turn it off. I will have to make note of it and see what happens. I'm sure it's not so great for us to fall asleep and have that background talking going on. It probably interrupts our sleep often. Sometimes I just feel like I need it to distract me or something. You know, from my mind racing when I try to settle down and I am thinking of all of the things that need to be done.

Thanks for bringing this up. I hope you have many restful nights to come! Kim :)
  3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

It's probably all those TV advertisements with happy babbly, satisfied, totally fulfilled people.

Especially the people driving in perfectly safe, powerful, status full, new cars in an environment filled with dangerous scary monsters that will get you if you don't buy their car. Cheers.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Don't misunderstand...I've had a tv in the bedroom for over 20 years and I too, need the background noise to fall alseep. (I use the sleep timer so it goes off after I've fallen alseep)

The difference was when we were watching the dvd's of Friends episodes I fell asleep sooner, rested better and didn't fight going to sleep. (Who needs to keep watching when you've seen them over and over)

With my new satelite programs on, I tend to eat more, watch more and try to stay up for the next show. Very old BAD habits!!

I was waking up feeling so refreshed, this house is so quiet compared to the old neighborhood, no street noises, no barking dogs etc.... and I slept so well.

The only difference this past week (since I started feeling awful again) is watching tv programs at night.

I'll continue with my experiment for a week or so and see how it works out.

Nancy B

And Madscientist...I don't get the good commercials since it's Armed Forces tv...they're not allowed. But a funny thought!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2007]
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

In order to produce Melatonin, you must sleep in complete darkness, shouldn't even have light hitting your skin. We are SO SENSITIVE, that the reduction of Melatonin affects us greatly. I recently stopped using Tenormin, a beta-blocker I had been on for 25 years, because I learned it blocked the production of MELATONIN! Spent next 20+ years trying to treat sleep disorders.

If you want some background noise, why not try either a fan or one of the environmental/waterfall/nature sound machine things?
  6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Would wearing sun blocker lotion help? Or covering the TV screen with sun screen lotion?

[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2007]
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My husband wants to put up a plasma, on the wall, in our bedroom. I'm not anxious to have it up at all and plan to stall as long as I can. I like the peace and quiet, and as it is, he's already a big couch potato! I worry he'll be a bed potato!
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

Maybe EMF from satellite hookup, if that's possible? Maybe it didn't happen with just the TV on, and the extra hookup did something different... I don't know - if you just happen to have a gaussmeter around (doesn't everyone have one? lolol) you could check... or use an AM radio tuned to nonexistant station... increased static is supposed to indicate higher EMF waves.

I also need background noise to fall asleep tho, I sleep well especially when I visit cities! even with sirens!

Anyway I listen to stories on tape on a battery-run tape player... no pressure since I know I can always rewind... and if I'm having a sleepless night for some reason, at least I can lay in bed and rest and be entertained.

When DH & I slept together I use an earphone (DH currently sleeps on other side of house as his Mom lives with us, 89 and has dementia). It turns itself off at the end of the tape, so I don't waste batteries that way.

all the best,

9. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I have a TV in my bedroom, complete with cable and DVR. Regardless of what time I go to bed or how tired I am, I always watch TV or something I have recorded. I don't know if I could get to sleep otherwise.

I have a small fan that runs constantly right by the bed. I even pack it when I go places over night. I absolutely can not go to sleep without it.

All the 'experts' on TV and in print say that there should never be a TV in the bedroom. It interrupts the serenity of sleep or something.

I don't go to sleep easily and I don't rest at all. I am always tired and stiff and sore when I get up in the morning. Do you think it could the TV???

Intersting thread!

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

All I know is that something changed drastically when I got my programs back. Up later, snacking more, not waking up refreshed.

I've heard the docs on tv saying not to have a tv in the bedroom for years too and just never thought it applied to me. (duh, that was stupid)

I didn't think my tv affected my sleep at all, at least now I know that it does.

Nancy B
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Using the radio. What I found was that just a TV didn't put out that much static but when it was next to a TV with the converter box, the radio went nuts.

I have a TV in my bedroom and I often fall asleep with it on. It's a bad habit and I know I should turn it off or set the sleep timer. Problem is that I like to watch "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report." I can TiVo them and probably should. Everything comes on so much later on the East Coast.

Fortunately, my TV is in an armoire and I can shut the doors. I have one of those black silk masks I can wear if I want to sleep in and the sun is up. It works great.

Love, Mikie
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

Now that's INTERESTING about your test on the TV with the converter box! Did you test your computer too?

You know, someone does make/mfr special mesh to contain the waves that one can drape, & it's even been incorporated into clothing lol.

Also there's paint with copper in it which block s EMF... maybe you could block in your converter box one way or another while you sleep?

I know, those are my favorite 2 shows too, and are the only ones I try to catch regularly... LOL, what does that say about me... and you...?

I settle for trying to catch the reruns the following evening at 8 pm whenever I can, as I don't have tivo... one of these days maybe I will tho, lol.

all the best,

13. budmickl

budmickl New Member

It's funny how we hear what we can do to make our quality of life better and we think 'it doesn't apply to me'. The TV in the bedroom is a prime example. I felt I deserved that comfort. I am beginning to see that I don't know everything, and that maybe 'they' are right.

So everyone, be glad you don't live with or near me. I am going to (attempt to) make 2 <b>MAJOR</b> changes in my life.

1. Move the TV out of the bedroom

2. Move my dogs out of my bed (See my post <u>I LOVE MY DOG BUTT</U>)

In addition, I am going to buy one of those sleep masks and see if that aids in my sleeping through the night. I found that covering up the clock so I couldn't see the time or the light when I woke during the night, helped a lot. But I am going to try taking it a step further.

Wish me luck!

[This Message was Edited on 06/14/2007]
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I also had to move the digital clock to hubby's side of the bed to make sure I can't see the time when I wake up. I don't really need to know what time it is anyway and the lights bothered me too.

I have a small (travel type folding) clock with a thermometer next to my bed but it doesn't have the lights with it. Works perfect for me.

Good luck with removing the tv....I hope it works out well for you.

I know that for me, any time I've changed my bad habits was when something major happened to help me see what needed to be done. Just like this move is doing now.

Years ago when I went back home to help take care of my Mom for her heart surgery, I stayed at my Aunt's house. She wasn't using her air conditioner and I realized I slept better at her house than at mine.

Came home after the summer was over and put my foot down with hubby. From that point on, I control the temperature of the bedroom. He liked it refrigeration temp, I liked it more human. We both sleep better now.

Nancy B
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The computer didn't even come close to my converter boxes. Those things are like having a giant electromagnet in the room. Maybe I can find copper pajamas :)

I am finding that the longer I watch those two shows, the less I seem to like them. Maybe it's me or maybe it's just that the novelty has worn off. They just don't seem to be as funny or well done. I do think Colbert has surpassed Stewart in his ability to use satired to make a political point. I mainly watch them now for the great guests.

I watched "Lil Bush" last night and was disgusted. Now, I'm not a prude and I can enjoy even the filthiest joke if it is funny. It just seems to me that this show was on the level of "South Park" and was really in bad taste. I shouldn't be shocked by anything on The Comedy Channel but when it comes to presidents and their families, I guess that some things should just be off limits. There were jabs at the Clintons too, so it was, at least, equal opportunity smarminesss. This is yet another indication to me that I am now officially an Old Fart. I am wondering who Carl Rove was omitted from the cast of characters. But, I digress...

As you know, I'm on the methylation protocol, sort of, and once I take my B12/folate/folic acid supplements, I just zonk out. I'm sleeping twice as well as I did with just the Klonopin. I still take the Klonopin but am wondering whether the new treatment will allow me to wean off. I hate having that monkey on my back.

I'm trying to eat better, reduce stress, and rest when I need to. I guess giving up late night TV will be the last of my sacrifices to breaking bad habits for better health. Lordy, if this keeps up, I'll soon qualify for sainthood. Well, maybe not...

Love, Mikie
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

I am quite ok with missing the Daily Show too, altho I also like the interviews, Colbert is really sharper and wittier; and they both have some really great guests...

I am not able to listen more than a couple or 3 times per week, so I guess that's just about right. I think there is a certain repetitiveness about any show, and can only imagine how hard it is to do something 'fresh' 4X/week without relying on back-to-back guests like the other late night 'talk' shows or even news shows. I don't care much for any of the other shows on comedy central, I have to say, LOL - so not sure what that says about me too haha!

Hmmm I have a friend who has FM, she has her TV and her computer in her bedroom by her bedside, easy to use... wonder how many here do have it that way for convenience' sake, I can certainly see why. I've tried to get her to move them, but no luck so far.

Glad you are doing better with the methylation protocol... I haven't had much of a chance to read on it, been pretty brain fogged and lots of headaches...

I still think I need another root canal; I have a dental app't next week, so if my (merc free) dentist agrees with me, that will make it easier to convince the oral surgeon I hope. I had 3 blessed days after the first one plus an ozone treatment... not sure if it's coincidence or not. But, as usual, the xrays never show anything even tho I couldn't chew on those teeth, sigh.

AND-- back to this thread regarding OVERSTIMULATION and not sleeping - I've been listening to 'The Manchurian Candidate" the past few nights, and now that it's getting exciting I'm not sure if it's interfering with my sleep. Think I may have to borrow one of my DH's philosophy tapes tonight, perhaps, LOL.

all the best,

17. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

The dvd's of Friends is starting to help. I slept much better last night and realized something this morning.

I always switch to the news channel when I'm watching tv before falling asleep. News, news, news, bombardment of the latest up-to-the-minute, don't miss

And I think I fall asleep with my head so full of more things that I have no control over...that I sleep tense and wake up feeling the same way.

My mood was so improved this morning....I wake up feeling light and ready to have some coffee and start my day.

Should be an interesting week...

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry about the tooth. I had a root canal this year, one of several in my mouth. I hope you can get relief from it.

According to Feng Shui, the bedroom should be set aside for sleeping only--no TV, no computers, especially computers. I have my TV in the armoire simply because when I was bedridden so much of the time, I watched TV to get my mind off my pain and exhaustion. I usually drifted in and out of my Morphine stupor when watching TV. Now, if I sit or lie on the sofa too long watching TV, I really need to go lie down in bed and I'm often not ready to go to sleep yet. Sooooo, I watch TV. Bad habit.

Love, Mikie