Twitching in hands and calves and face

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KayL, Jul 9, 2003.

1. KayL

KayL New Member

I've been noticing this for a while but it seems to be happening more often lately.

The muscles in my calves, particularly in my right leg, will start twitching and spasming for no reason. Happens a lot when I'm lying in bed at night. You can see it - it looks deformed.

My thumbs and fingers have been twitching/spasming, mostly in my left hand. It's so weird to see sit there and watch your hand moving in these strange positions all by itself.

The muscles in my face will start to do this too, like one side of my mouth will pull downward.

Anyone else have this, or know what might be the cause?

I take so many supplements, try to eat right, and take Rx meds. I didn't really think this was a problem, but it's gone from being an annoyance to being a concern at this point.

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2003]
  2. KayL

KayL New Member

from those eye/face twitches I've gotten as long as I can remember. Those were mild. These make me look......contorted.

And I've thought about mentioning it to my doc in the past, but I had the same thing happen, they would go away as suddenly as they came, and then I'd forget about it.

I almost wish that the next time I'm in his office, they'd all start twitching at once! LOL At least he'd see firsthand what I was talking about.

Karen
  3. rozchuv

rozchuv New Member

Hi Kay,
    That happens to me sometimes - every few months or so. I increase my Calcium and Magnesium. I take Calcium Citrate and Hydroxide and Magnesium Oxide and Citrate about 1600 mgm each normally and when I get the twitching or cramping - 2000 mgm each from late afternoon till bedtime. If it's bad I also add some Calcium Lactate which is poorly absorbed by the bones but well absorbed by the muscles. By itself the Ca lactate can be constipating but along with the Magnesium it is OK. LOL
    Rosalyn
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I totally know your pain, fellow twitcher. And I, too, can distinguish between these kinds of twitches & the random eyelid twitch that everybody experiences from time to time.

With me, it's my calves and my toes, particularly, my big toes & pinky toes. It is very visible, and I provide endless entertainment for my family, who feels that I have a real future as a Barnum & Bailey side show act. Actually, I usually put on socks when mine is bad, just because they sort of "contain" the twitching & also I can't look at it that way. The calf one often ruins my sleep. Only someone who has also experienced this would truly know how annoying these are, to the point of distraction. And, I don't know about you, but it has been a pet peeve of mine for years that many doctors dismiss your complaints about these twitchy sensations as just weird, or not worth talking about---pain & fatigue they can deal with, but for those of us who live with these things, it IS painful & fatiguing.

I know that some find magnesium helps (I don't really) and also, the prescription med Klonopin. I decided not to use meds, I've gotten better about dealing with these over the years, plus mine are very sporadic, I don't always have them. I've had tons of tests, but for me, they just seem to be part of that nervous system short-circuiting that occurs with FM.

Hope it helps at least to know you aren't alone! I know exactly what you are talking about. Even though you are noticing this more lately, you may find that you go into a period where it fades, too. I remember I noticed them a lot at first.

Hope you feel better,
    Pam