Twitching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by opala, Dec 8, 2002.

1. opala

opala New Member

I know there are some of you on this board who have gotten your DD at least somewhat manageable.

Can you tell me if the muscle twitches ever go away? Or will I be stuck with those forever, too? It's really one of the aspects of this DD that isn't really THAT painful....but it is REALLY annoying.

--Michelle
  2. opala

opala New Member

I know there are some of you on this board who have gotten your DD at least somewhat manageable.

Can you tell me if the muscle twitches ever go away? Or will I be stuck with those forever, too? It's really one of the aspects of this DD that isn't really THAT painful....but it is REALLY annoying.

--Michelle
  3. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

Opala, I sympathize with you, as I have muscle twitches too, as do many others with this condition. No one can predict if your muscle twitches will go away or not because the course of the illness is different for each person. I have had muscle twitches now for 23 years, but some days they are not as bad as other days. If you aren't already taking a good magnesium supplement, I recommend you try that as some persons have reported magnesium helps with the twitches. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant.
    Regards,
    Anita
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You said it---"really annoying"! Tingling feet & muscle twitches were the first two symptoms I ever had from FM. Before the aching & burning pain ever came, I had the muscle twitches. I've gotten pretty used to mine, and I do go through periods where I feel them less (to the point where I don't really notice them), so maybe you'll find this happens for you, too. Right now, I'm noticing some pretty strong ones, & they can be exasperating especially at night when all you want to do is "turn them off" & go to sleep. But, for about three months prior, they seemed pretty quiet.

I don't know about you, but I have never yet met a doctor who even cares at all about what we go through with these quirky twitches, tingling, & other weird sensations. Pain, they're interested in---I have tried to convince doctors that these neurological symptoms are every bit as debilitating & difficult to live with as pain when they are very severe. Usually I get a condescending nod. But then I have yet to find a truly empathetic, knowledgeable & understanding FM doctor in my years with this----others here have, so they may be luckier with a doc who "gets" this stuff!!

Anyway, hopefully you'll find the twitching at least coming & going, so you're not stuck with it all the time! I hope you feel better---I can really relate!

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I don't know if they ever go away....I use magnesium as a supplement. For awhile they got so bad, I was like one of those frogs in the science lab, hooked up to electrodes---but am now taking klonopin, and this has relieved them significantly. The one that remains is an eye twitch--that just annoys the H&*^% out of me.
    Karen
  6. opala

opala New Member

That's really interesting...I've had my mother-in-law trying to tell me to take magnesium for a couple of months now, but she thought it would magically take away the pain. Does a magnesium deficiency have any correlation?

p.s. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the magnesium...