Two dogs, one shedding suddenly after a bad paw cut

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

HI everyone,

I have been around but not posting as much because I found myself getting nothing done and I have to get ready for a spring show at the gallery for my stained glass. BTW I do have a new pic in my profile.

My problem is Twila, she has a very bad cut on her paw pad, nearly sliced it off. Since this is not the first and my vet showed me what to do if it happens again.

After getting her all bandageed up the couch blanket and me were COVERED in hair. THey had not sheded all winter since I changed their diet.

Missy is not shedding. I combed Twila with the flea comb, she is a short haired dog, and the more I combed the more hair I got. Got the bigger brush same thing. Did the same thing the next day with the same results.

It was very warm here this last week and am wondering if it put her in the spring shed early or is it stress from the cut and being tied up. They are ususally loose because of where I live, but have been keeping them tied up to the porch.

I will call the vet on Mon but wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem because of the warm week.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Carla
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi Carla,

I do know that animals shed when they're sick or under trauma - and of course it's spring. I like the idea of calling the vet just to make sure.

Is she normally a heavy shedder?

3. ckball

ckball New Member

She hasn't been the last 6 months, I changed from Ole Roy to Purina Kibble & chunks and fisn oil, when I remember.

But why would one shed and the other not? Thanks, Carla
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

I figured that was it. She is so use to being free all the time and I have had to keep tied up because the found something dead somewhere, so I kept them home.

Then a week or so Twila got out and I let her and Missy go, the Tw comes home with the bad cut. Then it was like instant after having trouble with her letting me treat her.

When I finally finsihed fixing her, there was hair every where. I took her outside and flea combed her and the undercoat brush and it just coming and coming. Poor baby, I have been extra good to her, I know she is not happy about this.

4ever how have you been? Any new artwork? I saved your zebra on a couch for myself. I see it evertime I open my picture file. It helps inspire me, because I know what it took to create. I think painting is my true calling but since I have a wonderful lady that owns the art gallery I sell out of only shows fine artists. She LOVES my glass and I am the only glass artist in the gallery, I keep making glass.

Plus I have a few other personal customers ;-) Thanks-Carla