Two 'sleeps' in 24 hours--better for me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by artyreader, Oct 27, 2010.

1. artyreader

artyreader Member

than trying to stay up all day and then trying to sleep at night.

Does anyone else seem to have a more " Mediterranean/hot country" kind of divisions in your day--i.e., instead of trying to stay up all day and being exhausted, and then trying to sleep at least 7 hours a night (and usually not being able to sleep without meds, at that, and often not for many hours) have you also found that the "siesta" idea that has been practiced in many places around the world is better for you?

This is for people who don't have a lot of outside responsibility (kids, jobs,etc), because the American "way" is work 8 hours, a few (usually exhausted) hours of "off" time, and then try to get at least 8 hours sleep in one shot. I don't think that is the best way for everyone, at all.

I have found (especially with the fibro/cfs symptoms that have plagued me for years, I can no longer work) that 2 'sleeps' a day usually work better for me (i.e. sleep for a few hours in afternoon, wake up {relatively} refreshed and able to do stuff for a few hours, then, back to bed (midnight, or 1 or 2 A.M.) sleep for a 'batch' of 3-5 hours (not able to sleep longer than that anyway, without meds: went most of my life without meds and now I wish I'd met them--sleep aids---sooner, as I sometimes am able to get together with friends, do something meaningful.etc only if I can get some sleep.)

I wonder about science, and circadian rhythms(we accept so much we are told, if it comes from 'scientists', doctors,etc. and I think we often discount our own personal experiences as not important), and cultural differences; some people are just more 'night' people and/or can do stuff better if it is in "chunks" of a few hours at a time, then sleep or rest for a few hours, then be somewhat refreshed to do more things for a 'batch' of hours.
    When I look back on my life as a "healthy person" (working, active, etc) before fibro and cfs, I never acclimated well to the whole stay awake, work 8 or more hours a day thing anyway--and no, I've never been rich, I actually grew up poor and had to work from a very young age, and most of my life until fibro/cfs made it impossible anymore--I did better with 2 or 3 part time jobs that actually ended up being more hours than a 'standard' full-time job (I did those,too, but my productivity was much better when I got to sleep in afternoon, come back invigorated--anyway--wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences?)
    I just think we (some of us anyway) have to challenge the conventional wisdom, and think (or at least ask questions) outside the box. . .
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My doctor said many doctors believe that our bodies are wired to take naps, especially in the afternoon. I don't have any scientific evidence, but I do find that sleeping this way helps me.

I think some people are nap takers and other's not. I have always been this way and much more so since the FM.

3. spacee

spacee Member

Then my body started wanting a morning nap. That was awful. Like have two morning
    wake ups. Somehow I have suceeded in getting my body to sleep 11-12 hours straight.
    I don't know how exactly except that I sleep in a totally darkened room...lest bit of
    light wakes me up (for a couple of hours). I hate sleeping through lunch when huz
    come home.

So, don't be surprised if you change. Oh, yes , too I know make barely the normal amount
    of 8am that probly is the culprit.

4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I remember reading some evolutionary psychology article that actually did claim we were NOT wired for sleeping 8 hours at a time; it wasn't productive for our ancient ancestors because of predators, or something like that.

I think it makes sense. I may have to try this.

My problem is, like spacee said, naps make me have to do the 'wake up' process all over again, and I can't stand until about two horus after I wake up, which is frustrating... Hmmmm. Thanks for sharing =)