Two-Week Diet Update For Syndrome X

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just thought I'd let y'all know the incredible results I've had on the Suzanne Somers diet in the first two weeks. I've lost 15 pounds and when I took my blood pressure this morning, it was 114/76. The B/P has been down since day eight.

I'm not craving sweets at all and am eating some delicious food. I can't wait til I get to Level II so I can have a little bread now and then and make some of Somers' desserts. I may even buy her dessert cookbook. However, if I never have bread or sweets again, it wouldn't matter.

Klutzo, thanks again and again for telling us about Syndrome X. It's the most important book I have ever read on health. I have bought the alpha lipoic acid and am taking it. I can't find out from the label whether it contains sals, so it may interfere with the Guai. If so, I'll alternate days of taking the supplements and taking the Guai. I'm far enough along on the Guai treatment that I think I can do this.

I'll keep y'all updated, especially when I get my cholesterol checked again.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just thought I'd let y'all know the incredible results I've had on the Suzanne Somers diet in the first two weeks. I've lost 15 pounds and when I took my blood pressure this morning, it was 114/76. The B/P has been down since day eight.

I'm not craving sweets at all and am eating some delicious food. I can't wait til I get to Level II so I can have a little bread now and then and make some of Somers' desserts. I may even buy her dessert cookbook. However, if I never have bread or sweets again, it wouldn't matter.

Klutzo, thanks again and again for telling us about Syndrome X. It's the most important book I have ever read on health. I have bought the alpha lipoic acid and am taking it. I can't find out from the label whether it contains sals, so it may interfere with the Guai. If so, I'll alternate days of taking the supplements and taking the Guai. I'm far enough along on the Guai treatment that I think I can do this.

I'll keep y'all updated, especially when I get my cholesterol checked again.

Love, Mikie
  3. majic

majic New Member

which book should i get to start the diet with. i was in the book store and my mind just went. i couldn't think of suzanne's name.life is good. majic
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Suzanne Somers has four or five books out on diet and recipes. Her first was "Suzanne Somers' Eat Great, Lose Weight." I have both "Suzanne Somers' Get Skinny On Fabulous Food" and Suzanne Somers' Eat, Cheat, and Melt The Fat Away." All her books explain how to group foods for best results. I am giving her dessert book as a gift to myself when I reach my target weight.

This diet is so much easier to stay on than the Atkins diet, but both are the same idea as the diet in the Syndrome X book. I believe if a person completely eliminates ALL foods made with flour, white sugar, white rice, and white potatoes, he or she will lose weight and see a decrease in blood glucose and insulin levels. This will bring about a drop in cholesterol and blood pressure.

The biggest problem I see is that both patients and docs do not understand how dangerous our American diet is. We get into horrible habits which we don't want to break even as our bodies become sicker and sicker. Then, when we tip over the edge, out comes the Rx pad and the docs start us on expensive meds for blood pressure, high cholesterol, and often for diabetes. By then, we also get sick from the side effects of the meds and the complications from having two, three, or four serious health problems.

It's never too late to reverse the damage these conditions are doing to us and all it takes is simple diet, a few supplements, and exercise as tolerated. What amazes me is how few people are willing to change harmful dietary habits in order to improve their health. I guess it's because I have seen people after their health has spiraled out of control that I am so serious about this. It ain't a pretty picture.

Good luck to you and good for you for wanting to make healthy changes.

Love, Mikie
  5. majic

majic New Member

for the info. i have tried the doc's way and it don't work for me. so now i'm doing it my way. hey jackie f. if you are reading this thanks for telling me to take control. it has taken almost a year.thanks to all for all the help that i have gotten here. majic
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The only people I know of who have gotten better are the ones who take control. Bless you.

Love, Mikie
  7. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

When I was in Florida, I started on the LA Weight Loss Diet. It limits potatoes, rice & the like, but says you should have it, which I do. Now that I live in Washington State (it's gorgeous here!), I've continued the philosophy of the LA Weight Loss Program & I've dropped two clothes sizes, which is great! I feel better on a higher protein eating program. Protein helps to build muscle. I eat tons of veggies and fruits too. I'm having trouble with the exercise part of it, as now I live among mountains, where Florida was F-L-A-T and easier to walk. Here, walking down to the waters edge includes 3.5 flights of stairs & coming up it is pure h*ll! We're 150-200 feet from the water & I can't help but think that the salt air is helping my health also. I hope so, plan on being here until the day I die. dolsgirl
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can begin to add in a little of the "forbidden fruit" once you reach your target weight on all of these high-protein diets. The Sumers diet allows you to eat fruit from day one if you eat it by itself. The bread, sugar, rice, and potatoes should be eaten only in moderation once we reach our desired weight and all our numbers are back in the normal range.

It sounds beautiful where you are. I moved to Florida from Colorado and I love the mountains too. You have the best of both worlds. I think it is easier if one grows up in thin high-altitude air and then moves to sea level rather than the other way around. Our winters are beautiful here, but the beaches are really congested in the winter from the snowbirds. In the summer, the heat and stingrays get to be a bit much, but the gulf water is nice and warm to float around in. The dolphins here come up to us in the water and want to play.

Love, Mikie
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi Mikie!!!
    so glad to hear of your luck with the Suzanne Somers diet.Wow thats a quick weight loss!!!
    I jotted that syndrome X down b/c I've heard it mentioned hear a few times and I'm not at all familiar with the subject~sounds interesting!Continued success to you!
    Warm regards,
    Tracey
  10. selma

selma New Member

What is syndrome X ? I went to the library site and search here and got 0. So, Please, can you tell us what it is? Thank-you.

Love, Selma
  11. tired42long

tired42long New Member

sorry, I couldn't resist. I have a daughter Mikaela, and we call her Mikie...when that song comes on she gets all giggly and embarrassed as most 9 yr old's would.
    Anyway, I was wondering what other plans you have used in the past. This diet sounds just like the Candida diet that is plastered all over many sites. I am just in the beginning stages of elimination...am just getting past the craving stages and haven't checked my weight yet...need to lose a good 20.The problem I am having is that I feel so darn hungry and then I think eat just GOBS of the allowed food...I never feel satisfied. I can eat tons of protein and salads, vegetables, and still feel so empty. Does this pass or just an issue with certain people? I know the Atkins diet talks about ketosis? some reaction with certain people that can't do these types of programs. I of course want to lose the weight but mostly want to lose any little bugs and fungi that may be lurking and ESPECIALLY want to just eat right again...like you said. I look at our family diet and it's plain RIDICULOUS!!!My husband thinks Little Debbie is it's own food category on the food triangle!!!Kids are learning from parents and other adults that our portion control is just CRAZY! And I feel so bad that all of us parents are buying into all the packaged foods due to convenience....some now because with illness it is faster and easier and takes less energy. And all the people out there busting their butts working and running home to fix meals....Geeezz, like you have the energy to make a healthy meal even if you AREN"T sick!!! And look at our kids lunch programs at school and what we are sending them off to school with in cold lunches!!!Marketing kills us too! We are destined to a whole population of very sick and at best unhealthy people in generations to come if we dont make some changes. You speak about the Somers diet...I am reading about diet change in a Dr. Sherry Rogers set of books....it's all in the same mostly. How did we all get so far from healthy eating? Do you think this and environmental poisons are the biggest reason we are all getting various illnesses. Thats what so much of literature points to. ALL of it, heart disease, cancer, immune diseases and the like. We are doomed if we choose not to change. Lastly, what is the alpha lipoic acid for? Thanks so much, you are a great resource person to "tap". Eileen
  12. pepper

pepper New Member

you've given me the incentive to go back on the Suzanne Somers way of eating. I lost over 60 pounds but then got caught up in a lot of stresses and have been way off it for months. I know it works and I feel better on it. I'm digging those cookbooks out and am going to lose those last pounds and stay on some form of it to stay healthy.

For those of you who have never tried it, the food is delicious! Your family can eat what you eat and add potatoes, rice or bread if they want. The recipes are all good and a lot of them are very simple.

Continued good luck with it, Mikie. (((HUGS)))Pepper
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The book is the nutritional guide for Snydrome X and you can find it at book stores. It presents the two-tiered diet but doesn't give recipes. However, it is the most important book I have ever read on health because it explains how our American diets are causing insulin reactions which bring on disease and illness. The book also has chapters on supplements which are vital to our health. The most important: Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Following a diet high in protein and low in carbs will prevent these illnesses and following a diet with nothing made from flour, white rice, white potatoes, or sugar will reverse the condition. Celery and cinnamon are healthy natural ways to avoid illness too.

I just use the Somers' diet because it is a little less restrictive in that it allows some fruit if eaten separately. I don't make a lot of her recipes straight from the book, but I have made some and they are delicious. I use them to create my own meals. Heck, when I'm too sick to cook, I'll just take a couple of slices of deli meat and a slice of cheese and make a roll up which I put in the microwave to melt the cheese. They are delicious and filling. Being able to eat good fats is very satisfying and keeps me feeling full and happy. I no longer crave sweets.

Being in Ketosis happens when one is on a high-protein diet with very few carbs. It's not just the Atkins diet, but any diet. You know when it happens because it produces buffalo breath. Urine and sweat can also become pungent. Ketosis is the process in the body which burns the body's fat and causes the weight loss.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for the support.

Love, Mikie
  14. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

First, I think I had ketosis when going on Dr. Crooke's diet for Candida. The dr found ketones in my urine, minus not having diabetes. This was showing my body was wasting away, as I was losing weight and very weak. So I do have to be careful with diets. I am thin and do not need to lose weight, however, I need to go on a real healthy diet. I also have heard about Suzanne Sommers and her books. What does she use for sugar replacement---are her products safe as far as not chemically made? Would you recommend one of her books for a person like me who wants to eat healthier, lower blood pressure, etc. without losing weight? I don't know where to start.
    Tania
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Somers' diet is on two levels, one for those needing to lose weight and another level where you can add a little pasta, bread, even some sweet desserts now and then to maintain weight. No one who is thin should let her body go into ketosis. Once a person is at her targeted rate, she should be eating enough carbs, the right kind of carbs, of course, so that ketosis does not set in.

On Level II, you can even eat a little white rice or half a white potato. Somers sets her diet up so that you combine different types of foods for maximum benefit. This is not a difficult concept; it becomes habit. Even fruit can be eaten on the Level I stages if eaten by itself and one chooses one of the less sugary fruits. I often start out the day with half a red grapefruit. I must wait 20 minutes before eating anything else.

Mel is right about motivation. The problem is that we can eat lousy for years and years and even though we don't feel all that well, we haven't yet developed diabetes. Many of us with these illnesses will go on to develop diabetes if we don't watch what we eat. Many of us are hypoglycemic and go on to develop insulin resistance. The Syndrome X book says everyone who is even slightly over the ideal weight has insulin resistance. It continues to get worse. The next step is diabetes.

I have been pestering my doc forever to connect the dots between high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and being overweight. I've tried cutting down and eating low-fat diets. Well, guess what; that doesn't work. It's not the fat that is causing our problems, it's the carbs. Once insulin resistance sets in, it brings on all kinds of other illnesses. I am not content to wait around til I'm obese and having to take drugs to control my b/p and cholesterol. I've seen too much of that. I had a friend who went blind and then died due to diabetes complications. The man downstairs has had both legs amputated and must live on dialysis because hid kidneys have shut down due to diabetes.

I think those of us with these illnesses have lost so much that we don't want to give up anything else. We continue to eat chocolate, telling ourselves "it's good for us." It may be, but the sugar which is used to make sweet chocolate will kill us. We have to be willing to make little sacrifices now to protect our health for the rest of our lives. We need to live day to day and stay focused. It helps to be able to eat delicious food which contains fats which are much more satisfying that sweets. I do not have sweet cravings. I can live on the Somers' diet for the rest of my life.

I can't tell from her website whether or not her sweetner is healthy. She does work with doctors in everything she develops. She even has chocolates you can eat on Level II, but they are too expensive. Her desserts use sugar but at greatly reduced levels. They are very rich and a little goes a long way.

I was very tired the first week and a half when I started out. After all, I was making a HUGE change in my eating habits. Now, I am starting to feel more healthy again. I can eat all the low-starch veggies I want with the protein, so I'm eating a healthy balance.

Mel has been tireless in his efforts to try to get us to help ourselves instead of relying solely on our docs. My doc is there to provide the necessary prescriptions that I need until I am healthy enough to wean off them. He is also there to monitor my labs. He knows nothing about our illnesses but he is more than willing to learn. My rheumy watches my liver function labs and writes my Rx for Klonopin. Other than that, he is useless.

Two years ago, I was regularly using Morphine for pain. Now, it is a rarity. My fog and dizzyness made it difficult to walk and function. I do still take prescription meds, and my fatigue has been bad this last year, but that is most likely due to stress overload in my personal life. I am in therapy dealing with that so I can continue to heal.

God bless all of you who are taking charge and making healthy new habits including quitting using tobacco, alcohol, and sugar and getting more physically active. The payoffs are so great and make us wonder why we didn't do it long ago. The alternative is to continue to suffer horrible pain and to have our overall health deteriorate.

Love, Mikie

16. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'm really glad you brought up this subject and your success with the Sommer's diet. I was watching her on TV and amazed by all the callers who loved her diet plan. Both me and my husband have decided to cut down on sugars and the white stuff. I will be looking at her books and make a difference in my cooking. I heard one of the keys to her delicious foods is to marinate meats, chicken and fish. Everyone says they are delicious.
    Tania
  17. garlinbarb

garlinbarb New Member

I just typed in food combining and got all sorts of great stuff. Not that we need any more confusion but I like to consider all the facts .We are all different and respond to things differently.

The one constant seems to be to nix the refined foods!!!!!

I find great hope in all this. Foods that heal hav been used for ever.

Barb
  18. selma

selma New Member

Your encouragement IS INVALUABLE !!!

I'm ready to start again. I go off the no sugar, then on again. I go and eat LOTS of sugar and feel More pain.
    I know that sugar is an adiction and I will stop.

Thanks again. Love and hugs, Selma

[ advertisement ]