TwoCats

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by rockgor, May 5, 2011.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I saw your post on Carlitta's thread. I was shocked. You are always so busy
    helping other folks, you seldom say much about yourself. I hope your trip to
    the ER was for some temporary problem, and that it is all fixed now. (But
    I kinda doubt it.)

I'm sorry to hear you have PTSD and anxiety. I've had depression most of my
    life, but have not had to deal with these other two. Sometimes at 12 step
    meetings people use the term "double trudgers" for folks w/ more than one
    big problem.

There should be a limit on how many diseases/problems one can have at one
    time.

Hope you're feeling a little better soon.

Rock

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

You are such a kind, caring and considerate person and always wonderful to talk to. Thank you so much for posting to me and I appreciate you posting and your kindness and thoughtfulness.

THIS IS AN ALERT TO EVERYONE AND HOW A SIMPLE SHOPPING TRIP CAN GO WRONG: I was in Walmart doing my monthly shopping, and pulling a shopping cart behind my electric scooter--I was having a good day and I felt good and had intended to stop and get a pecan apple grilled chicken salad from Wendy's afterwards as a special early lunch treat.

I was in Walmart for just short of an hour, when I went to the inside department that has fertilizers, plant foods and pesticides. But those rows share space with beautiful pots for outside on the patio, the latest solar outside lighting (and they had some pretty outside Tiffany style solar lighting I had never seen and was enjoying) and they have outside do-dads for the patio. In hindsight, the doctor believes that kids or adults were playing with and spraying pesticides before I came around to that isle and I got some of it. Although spray paint is usually locked up simply so it is not stolen by juveniles, anyone can go to the pesticide isle and can begin spray these chemicals in the air, and then leave as pesticides are not locked up and there are no regulations against it. And they are simple to use because , you just twist the end of the cap to SPRAY and it will activate when you squeeze it, Pesticides are serious stuff that may be life threatening.

Shortly after leaving that section, my face began to burn and ache. It didn't stop, so I checked out at the register and went to the car. In my rear view mirror, my face was bright red and burning. I got home, dropped my shopping on the kitchen floor, splashed my face with water and washed it gentle with Dove soap. I sat on the sofa with the air conditioning on and the fan blowing on my face with frozen gel packs on my face. It continued to get worse.

My face was swelling all over, my facial cheeks were aching so bad, and the pain was getting very bad in the bones all under my eyes and my entire jaw bone were all so killing me. My nose was swelling also. I called my medical insurance's on-line nurse line and I was having trouble talking because my mouth was swelling and my teeth were rubbing against my skin in my mouth. They said it sounded like I was in a serious allergic attack and having breathing trouble, but I told them I was trying very hard to speak clearly because my mouth was apparently swelling.

They said call 911 and get to the hospital on a rush. I grabbed my typed list that contains my allergies, prescription meds and supplements I take, dosage, how often, for what condition and what doctor prescribed. The list down further contains all my surgeries and what medical conditions I have--it's my list for any medical professional and includes everything they need to know. I also grabbed my meds, and drove my scooter to my car and got to the hospital myself much faster than the paramedics could reach me. THAT TYPED LIST WAS VERY IMPORTANT AND HELPFUL TO THE E.R. PEOPLE TREATING ME.

E.R. admitting got two nurses immediately to get me right in to a private E.R. room that was designed for people in my situation with private air control/and put me on oxygen and the doctor arrived quickly. The doctor said the swelling was greatly increasing so bad it had closed off my nose was increasing back to the tops of my ears, my mouth was swelling, and they had me in a gown and were monitoring the progression down my face, my chin, and down further on my body.

The doctor came back in in a while and said it was now life threatening and I had no one I could call and I had to okay any treatment in his opinion he would have to do to try to save my life and they were putting all this stuff in my IV and trying to help me and to stop the progress and reverse this. My blood pressure was extremely high and I was getting some heart palpitations in the midst of all this. The pain was so bad and they were snapping those ice packs to activate them and putting them right on my red hot swollen face and they weren't really cold feeling, but I knew in reality they were really cold stuff.

The doctor wanted to do pain meds, but I talked to him (as best I could with my mouth swelling) that my responses on pain would tell him more quickly if his procedures were working/not working. So we agreed to hold off on pain meds so that I could nod to him or motion to him about pain and how I was doing. He agreed and I had nurses running in and out and he was running in and out.

I found they had a little TV that extended on an arm to my bed and IT HAD CABLE CHANNELS--what a blessing at a time like this!!! I put on the cartoons, which I turn low and usually can fall asleep to. I used that as a way to try to relax myself in the hospital and get calm because I needed calm. I also knew I had to stay strong and get calm because I have two outstanding and great cats at home that are the best family I have every had and I absolutely just had to get through this to return to my meager life at home and to these great cats who I knew would be waiting for me and so many times act as my home doctors.

At about 1:30 AM everything began to finally really kick in and the swelling began to go down and the pain to start to subside. The doctor can't figure out why my breathing tubes didn't close (I was expecting a trach to be put in at some point, which wasn't done) or that I didn't go into more serious heart problems, but I told him I guess it just wasn't my day. They discharged me at 3:30 am and I went home to find two cats sitting up at the back sliding door waiting for me to come home. I was glad to see them and went to bed and they came to bed with me to help me sleep. The next day I was at the pharmacy to pick up the prescriptions, but I'm still wiped out as one of them is a very strong steroid I had to take for the last time last night.

I HOPE THAT EVERYONE REALIZES THAT THE DOCTOR AND I BELIEVE THIS WAS POTENTIALLY PESTICIDE RELATED, BUT WE CAN'T PROVE THAT. I'M STAYING OUT OF THAT DEPARTMENT FROM NOW ON BECAUSE IT IS IN A BACK AREA, NOT WELL MONTORED BY EMPLOYEES AND THE CHEMICALS ARE NOT LOCKED UP (LIKE SPRAY PAINT USED TO BE) AND THUS THEY CAN BE SPRAYED RIGHT THERE. I SPENT A LONG TIME IN THE HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM AND WAS LUCKY TO HAVE COME OUT OF IT ALIVE--CERTAINLY SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE DIED IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE.

THE DOCTOR EXPLAINED THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT DON'T CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES OR OTHERS AND THEY LACK EMPATHY. YOU SEE THEM AT THE GAS STATIONS PUMPING GAS AND LIGHTING UP THEIR CIGARETTES--THE SIGNS ARE CLEARLY "NO SMOKING," BUT THEY DON'T CARE AND YOU MAY SEE KIDS IN THE BACK OF THEIR CAR/TRUCK. THEY LACK EMPATHY FOR OTHERS, THEY ACT ON IMPULSE AND LACK CONTROL AND WON'T BE TOLD WHAT TO DO. UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN, TEENAGERS AND SOME IN THEIR 20'S GROWING UP THE SAME AS WE SEE BULLYING OF OTHERS TO THE POINT OF SUICIDE BECAUSE THEY ARE GAY, BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE OR ARE JUST HATED FOR ANY REASON. DEATH THREATS FROM KIDS OVER THE INTERNET TO YOUNG STARS BECAUSE THAT STAR IS DATING JUSTIN BIEBER SHOULD HAVE A PARENT TAKING ALL ELECTRONICS AWAY FROM THAT CHILD AS A LESSON THAT DEATH THREATS ARE NEVER ACCEPTABLE--THEY MUST BE TAUGHT EMPATHY AND NOT THIS LACK OF CARING. THAT LACK OF EMPATHY CAN FALL BACK ON US WHEN THEY HIT THE PESTICIDE AISLES AND ACT ON IMPULSE AND WITHOUT CONTROL AND WITHOUT EMPATHY FOR OTHERS.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'll say a simple shopping trip can go wrong. I never would have dreamed the
    garden section could be so dangerous. Life Threatening!

Thank goodness you took action and got to the hospital. And how smart of
    you to have a list of meds and allergies, etc. all prepared. I used to have one
    myself, but I think it got lost in the move. Haven't seen it for a while. Actually
    haven't seen a lot of stuff since the move.

Anyhoo, are all the symptoms gone? Do you need to take any more meds?
    I'll bet the kitties were glad to see you when you got home.

Gordon and I always visit the flowers at Wal-Mart. I'm gonna have to
    tell him it's not risk free.

I'm sure you know you can file a claim against Wal-Mart. It has a duty to
    provide shoppers w/ a safe place to shop. Just a letter from a personal
    injury atty may be sufficient to reach a modest settlement. I don't know
    what Walmart's policy is. Some big companies are reluctant to settle any claims
    regardless of merit.

You're right about some of the population. I read recently that it's estimated
    that about 4% of the pop. are sociopaths. No conscience. No empathy.
    No emotions. Scary world. ('Course there are the non-scary parts too.)

Good to know you'll still be around the board, Twocats.

Rock

4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

That list of allergies, meds, supps, my ailments and surgeries is the list I take and give to each doctor at all appointments--they can never say they didn't know about anything and I always highlight changes in meds or new meds or highlight and delete meds that are removed.

I didn't realize how convenient that list would be for this particular E.R. visit, with my mouth swelling inside and my having trouble speaking. The typed list allowed me to stretch out in bed and just stay quiet while they went over all of the list. They didn't even want to see my meds I brought. I hope everyone will keep an updated list on the refrigerator to grab for just such an emergency--I never dreamed of this type of emergency happening to me.

I'm still on meds that they want me on for a short time, and then once off them I should be right back up to par.

Kitties were so happy to see me even at 3:30 in the morning--I was greeted warmly and they clearly were not sleeping without me at home. My male cat did his "CAT SCAN" where he got close to my face, inhaling and moving his whiskers and I think that way he senses blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature, any pain, and if I've been out with another kitty!!!!
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry you went through this. How scary.

I always avoid that aisle as my lips start tingling. The same thing happens when I walk by a lawn that has just been sprayed.

Take it easy and let us know how you are doing.

gap