Type A or B personality?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by millennia, Nov 22, 2005.

1. millennia

millennia New Member

I was just wondering whether you guys would say, that before you got sick you had a type A or B personality. It seems that a lot of people on this board describe themselves as having been type A's and I was just wondering if the other type B's just weren't speaking up?

Type A personality is a term used to describe people who are driven, hard-working, busy, and impatient

The opposite of type A personality. The type B personality is relaxed, uncompetitive, and inclined to self-analysis
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I think most people seeing me growing up and in college would assume I was a Type A personality. As for the Type B, I may not have been 'relaxed', but the rest of it describes me pretty well. I never considered myself as driven as others I saw -- certainly not for the same reasons. Curiosity drives me, but I ignore a lot of the rest of it. But then again, I have a LOT of curiosity!

I was always one to voluntarily 'put on the brakes'. I remember turning down a prestigious position at a student-government camp because it meant I'd have to stay up an extra hour or so every night for a week. Can you imagine? Give up SLEEP? And I was a high schooler then!

In the school paper one year I was quoted as saying for my New Year's resolution I wanted to say 'no' more often.

In college I was in a challenging, technical major, and I did as many all-nighters as the next person. Thank heavens that's all over!

Now (in my 40's), my husband and I have an agreement that I take on no more than 1 board member position at a time, and hopefully not more than 1 'extra-curricular' project either (meaning I very rarely volunteer for things). With working 1/2-time and being a wife, mom and keeper of a house (never mind the CFS), I've got too much on my plate. It was really hard to give up church choir, costume designing for the local community theater, caregiving ministry, Habitat For Humanity, etc., etc. I don't even try to explain it anymore.

On further contemplation, as I have now edited this post THREE times for additional content and clarity, you'd better put me down as a Type A.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2005]
  3. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

Type A, all the way.

It has been difficult to move towards a type B.
  4. acesk

acesk New Member

Definitely Type A!!!!!!!!!

Sue in Florida
  5. Tiels

Tiels New Member

no doubt about it!! :)
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

My parents told me that I was "impatient" to enter this world and I have been that way since then. Even when I am resting now, I am thinking of what I need to do and have to do. "No" has never been in my vocabulary but it is entering my mind more and more often now since my body is insisting.
    Stinker56
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

8. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I have never known the feeling of being "relaxed"...

Guess that's why I fit into the TYPE A category so well...
  9. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Type A Here! I guess why this is why they use to call this the Yuppie Flu! I over do it all the time!
  10. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I am definitely 100% type A when it comes to my job. But I am much more type B in my personal life.

Cheers!
    Kathi
  11. CinCA

CinCA New Member

If there was a Type-A+, that would be me! I now consider myself a "recovering type A", but it's hard! :)
  12. jake123

jake123 New Member

I was a Type A to a power of 10. Painted entire houses, hung wallpaper. Tore up flower beds and redid them, mowed lawns. Everything was in its place. Had people over to eat. Had parties for children Was a member of the Board of Directors at Church and also worked with children in Choir. Very active in sunday school and Women's Group. Etc., you get the picture.
    My professor at college wanted me to do Pharmacy school or Nurse Practioner or a Chiropractor. I had already been hit by the CFS bug and I knew I would not be able to do it,because I would just give out too much.
    Then I graduated (top 10% of my class)and I ran into an old flame[[[engaged 8/8/87, married August 21,1987
  13. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I'm a major type A person. I was talking about this last night -- even with all the pain (15 years of it now...) I still do more than most non-pain people I know...

I'm better about saying "no" now, and better about relaxing when I need to, but I think my typeA overachieving is a good deal of what keeps me going through all of this... I may live with pain daily, but at least it hasn't stolen the things I care about .... (well... it has stolen some of them... I can't play fiddle anymore, or ride horses, because it just flares me up too much.)
  14. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I liked to be busy and had to do things right but I didn't expect it of other people and I was easy going other than that
  15. sues1

sues1 New Member

Must be a Z for ZANY.....?

I am not an A but I have done a lot in my life and had a busy life.....etc. BUT I also could be content at times just watching paint dry.

I count that as a blessings because I can not be that busy multi tasked person anymore.Yes I sort of lived the A style but really I am not........well, a little.......LOL
  16. millennia

millennia New Member

I think we're all a mix to some extent. Just some of us fall farther to one end than the other. I'd like to think I was a type J, but I took some silly online quiz and found I fell quite firmly into type B. Never been a competitive person, I think that plays a large role. I'd be happy sitting on the beach, drinking lemonade and watching the seagulls.
  17. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

MY mind is an A but my body is a B. I have big ideas and big plans but my body will not let me do any of them.

M
  18. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Definitely Type A
  19. DFL

DFL New Member

Type A ALL THE WAY!!!!!!
  20. JimB

JimB New Member

these illnesses are almost exclusively TYPE A.

I'M TYPE B.