type A personality and CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Here is an idea I have been toying with for some time:
    Is CFS/FM a disease of the type-A personality?

OR

Are type-A personalities the PORTION of people who have CFS/FM that push hard enough and smart enough to get the CORRECT diagnosis??? We all know the persistance it takes to get the right diagnosis with this. What if the other personalities also get our DDs, but they accept what the doctor says the first time and don't do more checking for themselves? There could be a large portion of the population who have this but haven't gotten the right diagnosis.

I'm tired of people saying that a personality trait is at the heart of our disease. I think that as doctors become better able to diagnose this the FIRST TIME, the idea will change.

2. Sidnee

Sidnee New Member

Shannon, you bring up an interesting point. I do think that there are some of us that refuse to lay down and accept the first diagnosis that the good Dr. throws out.

I have known for along time that I have had problems with my health and was not going to accept that my health problems were all in my head. I knew there was something wrong that they were missing or they were to wrapped up in managed care to take the time to not pigeon hole me as a menopausal women who was depressed, needed hormones, was suffering a mid-life crisis, etc. with nothing better to do than sit in their office. I think alot Drs still have a good old boy attitude, or shall I say holier than thou attitude and feel inferior to women (men too) who take a proactive stance when it come to there healthcare.

That being said, I am very Type A and have fired a Dr. or two because they refuse to listen to me. I have been told that I spend too much time on the internet researching my health problems. It has been a good thing that I have done that as I have finally been diagnosed with CVID, common variable immune deficiency and am receiving IV gamma globulin, finally validation, finally a diagnosis! I think some Drs are intimidated by strong people (women) and pretty much shut down and tune out their patients. I was assertive when dealing with my Drs. always questioning why they prescribed this medication, why they ordered this test, why they did not order that test....the list goes on and on. I p*ssed some of them of, too bad. I am not trying to toot my own horn, but we have to stand up for ourselves, no one else will.

Sid

3. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

I don't know...

My family, friends and co-workers always joke that I'm so layed back that I'm a river...I just flow along and take what comes.

I went to my Dr. because I has having headaches, my Mom told me to work backward from the headache, and write down everything that leads up to it. I did that, read it to my Dr. he pushed my trigger points, and after I came down off the ceiling from the pain, he diagnosed me, (I was there for 2 hours, so it was not quite that simple, but you get the point).

I remember my allergy Dr. years ago who told me my excezma was caused from fingernail polish - I painted my nails, and itched, therefore...what a dork. He wanted to NOTHING to do with the facts, he had already made his mind up!

Anyway, I think there are plenty of Doctors who were handed a God Complex along with their Diplomas upon graduation. Luckly, there are some who can admit they don't know everything and are willing to ask questions and check into things.

Someday, they will realize that just because my degree happens to be in Economics and English, not Medicine, it doesn't mean I didn't study just as hard etc and that I have valuable input...I get so tired of being made to feel like the younger/slower child, who is patted on the head...

I think that we are all helping to change to this theory, and I for one think this board helps. I know I've gained a ton a knowlege in a short time, and I'm managing my own care a little better!

Thanks!
  4. STEVENS8

STEVENS8 New Member

Certainly seems to get all type A's people pleasing over achievers....LOL
  5. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

I am so not a type A person, and I believe that FM does not discriminate between personality types. I think it is a common misconception that only type A's get this DD.

It is possible that those of us who are more laid back do not push as hard with doctors, I agree on that point. I got diagnosed within four months of getting sick because my mother (who is definately a type A!) carted me around (I could not drive and my husband could not take me) to 16 docs until I had found the right one who could diagnose me.

I went to one rheumy who said I did not have the "personality" to have fibro (what a croc!). I believe that it has more to do with your immune system or your genes or your nervous system (or something, I'm not a doctor :) ). Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

Jessica
  6. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Yep! I've heard that too! My Rheumy who dxd my Fibro the first day I came to see him told me that a lot of type A personalities have Fibro. He knew I was that way, because he had been my youngest daughter's dr. for her Lupus for 6 years and he had talked to me many times. Of course when he told me he knew I had Fibro I just went, "What's that?" I had no idea! And after he did some explaining and I did some research all the pegs fit. It just made perfect sense. I was a classic case. So, in my case I didn't have to go from dr. to dr. to find out. I already knew a good dr. Now, that's NOT to say, by any means, that I have agreed with all his opinions! Oh no. We have gone a round or 2 for sure! Like the time my liver enzymes were way up and he accused me of drinking. I said I don't drink a drop. He said are you sure? Duh! I don't remember doc! Would you like to ask my hubby? He said, "No. He probably doesn't know either." I told him then and there, that if I was drinking my hubby would surely know it! That made me so mad. I told him he had offended me and he actually apoligized. Doctors! They can be so dumb some times. My husband says that ever since we started taking our daughter to him, he thought he was so smart, he didn't quite know how to deal with just the regular person. You know how they talk over your head. It's annoying. That's my 2 cents!
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

. . type A's are the only ones with these DD's; I know others posted that they were not type A in the past on this Board.

There are some in psychiatry who refuse to type personalities in that manner; i.e. Type A = aggressive.

Oh well, having said that - - - those who are more aggressive will probably be those who come to the Board more often, and in addition, those same people are likely to consider themselves type A.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I remember that poll we had recently - I was one of the Type A overachievers.

My management at work always called me a supermom because they did not know how I got so much done at work and some much done at home -- I even took my vacations from work to do farm work at home!

Maybe that is how I got here - loads of stress??????
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

I'm a type "A" personality in most things, but not all. I can stop, sit down with a book and tune out the world until I finish it. ('Course, my sister says only type "A's" would do without meals and sleep for a book!)

I'm a quiet type "A". Will be pretty complete and determined, but not loud about it.

I agree that many of these types will get the diagnosis because of being determined. One can be shy and determined at the same time however.

I also think there are way more men with CFS/FM then have been diagnosed. Society is against them going for help due to pain and fatigue. Those are suck it up symptoms.

I think it is a double strike against them ... First because they had the bad taste to fall ill with fibro and second because they're supposed to be too tough to complain about these symptoms, let alone get a "woman's illness". Poor Guys .... I'm sincere in that.

Just a thought so anyone not a type "A" don't get upset with me. Some people would be hard pressed to identify me as that until they got to know me.

Elsa