type of magnesium in ZMA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Dec 29, 2002.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

???? ZMA has mag aspertate but all I have read says mag. glycinate is the best kind to take. Do you think it is possible the mag. asp. reacts differently with the zinc than the mag. gly would? And then we add in the B6. I question if they use aspertate because it is cheaper or because it is better for this combo. If cheaper is the thought then do you think the same benefit could be had by taking mag. glyc., zinc and b6 at bedtime? I knew I should have paid more attention in chem class.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've heard the same thing about Mg Glycinate being best, but in all the time I've spent hanging out in Naturopath's offices and health food stores, I have yet to see a single bottle of the stuff!
    The cheap Mg is the Oxide form,which can really give you the runs if you take too much.
    I use Mg Citrate myself, and I think as long as it's not oxide, you don't need to worry about it. :)
    Klutzo
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

Debra you spelled it out in simple clear terms so that even I could understand the difference and I am assuming you dont think that the different forms of mg would have a different synergistic or catalytic effect.
    Klutzo if you go to google you will find a plethera of mg gly for sale and right here the product Magnesium Plus is mg. gly. and it is pretty inexpensive for the expensive kind. I just might treat myself when Im thru with the citrate I have now.
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

i tried a whole bottle and it kept me up all night no matter what i did
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Started with the Pro Energy;Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate, then started taking the Natural Calm; Magnesium Citrate, both helped with the pain, BUT did not get very good sleep.
    Then I added ZMA; Zinc, Magnesium Asparate, B-6. Wow, then I finally got to sleep like I have never slept before in my whole life. (I still take all three).

Like Mel said, I have not a clue why it works, but I do pray it never stops working for me! It changed my life with this crazy Fibro.

I do have a nightly cocktail that I take, and its this;

1 0.25 milligrams of Xanax at 6pm (it stops my racing brain)

2 capsules of ZMA at 10 pm, for sleep and it has also helps with the pain.

1 3milligrams of Melatonin, to help 'fall' asleep.

It also helps my husband sleep, he just takes the ZMA.

I just gave my son a bottle of ZMA, he works three jobs, and for the first time in his life, he started sleepwalking.

Thats a dangerous thing, he was outside his front on his front lawn in his underware when his wife found him, he was on his way to work 3am in the morning!
    Another time she found him in his backyard, he told her he was 'going to help his friend get his truck started' at 4am.

Personally I think he is so exausted (from working all these jobs)that his sleep is so disturbed, that he is 'working' in his mind when he is sleeping too, and is beginning to 'act out his dreams' with the sleepwalking. Its very disturbing to me.
    I will let you all know if the ZMA makes a differnce for him. (He does need to quit at least one of these jobs!).

I don't understand all of your chemistry here, but will ask my other son who is a university student, and I know he is good in chemistry!

Shalom, Shirl

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had the same thing happen when I first started taking the ZMA; it gave me too much energy. I started taking one capsule in the afternoon so that by bedtime, it had worn off. I kept moving the time closer and closer to bedtime until it no longer had that effect. Then, I eventually upped the dose to two capsules. It can take some time to get used to taking it. The magnesium is derived from veggies and was blocking my Guai, so I had to discontinue it. I hated to because I think the ZMA is one of the best supplements one can use. Thanks to Mel, so many have been helped by it.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]