Types of pain 101

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Aug 7, 2003.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I found this info in a new book I have on Chronic Pain and I found it very helpful in learning what exactly it is our docs are asking for when they want us to communicate what type of pain we have, I will post some more soon, a lot in this book to share with you all.

I know for me that I have had a hard time trying to describe the pain, to figure it out myself sometimes and obviously we have to learn how to catergorize our pain so that the docs will know how to help us. You may want to cut this out & keep it somewhere.
    Subdividing suffering

While pain is fundamentally divided into acute & chronic categories, there are many ways of classifying different types of painful experience. Some classifications are based on where pain originates, while others are based on how pain behaves.

Breakthrough Pain: Pain that flares up despite your taking analgesic medication.
    ~also referred to by us as incidental pain.

Intermittent Pain: Pain that comes and goes, or increases and decreases in intensity, but doesn't seem to leave for good.

Musculoskeletal Pain: Aching in the muscles, bones or joints, a broad category of pain that includes arthritis, back and neck pain, fibromyalgia and headaches.

Neuropathic Pain: Pain that results from damage to the nerves themselves (among it's causes are diabetes, cancer, and unintended harm from surgery) often producing sharp, tingling or burning sensations.

Trigger Point Pain: Sometimes called myofascial pain, it's characterized by extreme tenderness in small areas of muscle that can often refer pain to other parts of the body.

Visceral Pain: Pain arising from the viscera, or internal organs. It's usually associated with abdominal problems, and is often described as a dull aching.