U.S Marine Corps

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LizzyBell93, Oct 20, 2009.

1. LizzyBell93

LizzyBell93 New Member

I am 16 years old and I have FMS. My plan after high school was to go to an NROTC college then Officer Candidate School to be a Logistics Officer in the Marine Corps. I had everything planned out. I can even pass the physical fitness test that marines have to pass before becoming an officer. But how far will I really get with FMS? They aren't gonna baby me cause I have FMS and I don't want them to. I guess I just have to pick a new career path even though I have planned this one for 2 years. I don't know how to even begin to deal with this. Any advise?
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Welcome to Pro Health. I'm really sorry to hear your story. You're so young to have FMS. If I were you I'd make alternate plans but keep these ones in mind. Maybe they'll find a drug protocol to help you in the meantime like anti-retrovirals if you test positive for XMRV for instance.

There is a good message board for young people with FMS and other similar illnesses at http://butyoudontlooksick.com/
    too but it looks like their Message Board is down right now. You can try it later or at a later date if it doesn't work for you now either.

3. lilmisssunshine

lilmisssunshine New Member

My advice to you is... YOU KNOW YOU'RE BODY. Use this time before you have to make a flat out decision to "talk" to your body. Can you get up at 4-5am and run? In my experience strict schedules help me soooo much! Does avoiding dairy or gluten make your symptoms more manageable? I notice a difference with dairy being excluded. Around midday many people with FMS benefit from a "power up" rest time. For 10-30 min (or however much time you have) go to a quiet place, and close your eyes (you don't have to actually sleep). It does wonders!! The vitamin Theanine helps when you know you are gonna be stressed one day... take it that morning. Valerian root helps you wind down at night. Magnesium and calcium are ESSENTIAL since they have found us to be deficient. I take this magnesium/calcium liquid at night (it makes me sleeeeepy). It tastes yummy. Last but not least.... don't stress. We all know what stress does to us.

You have been dealt a tough hand. You made plans and they are being seriously disputed right now. Unfortunately life is like this sooo many times... this won't be the last time you feel this way. I was a dancer before my diagnosis. It's been 4 years but a few months ago I got this RAWR attitude that manifested itself in me signing up to do a dance competition. I was ABLE to do the moves... my technique was still there... but my body fought back sooo hard. My body had been under worked for so long... and the stress from being thrown back into this complex choreography was making me unravel a little. Well... the week before my competition I caught the flu and kinda fell apart. :) I smile because one day I should really learn to start listening to my body. You'd think I would by now. Use this time. Make yourself a schedule similar to what you would experience there. Take it slow... listen to clues that show you are doing too much.

I hope maybe that helps a little.
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

First, make sure you've had thorough testing to rule out other conditions that mimic fibro. There are quite a few, and some of the imposters are easily treated.

Second, having raised a couple kids & seen what their friends go through at this age -- I would say that, any 16 yo with a career plan who sticks to it through age 20 is the exception to the rule that, at this age, for most kids, career plans are still pretty flexible.

However, I am impressed with your drive & determination! Especially in the face of FM.

Considering the military ... the fitness test is one thing, boot camp is another. To the best of my knowledge, you don't get to take supps into boot camp. Nor do you get a day off for post-exertional malaise.

You can find forums on the net where marines discuss their day to day experiences, starting with boot camp. Perhaps you could join a forum and ask a few questions. Check your plans realistically against the variety of opinions you'll find offered on those forums. Then perhaps also discuss your plans with your healthcare provider as well as a school guidance counsellor. I don't recommend the recruiters for this type of discussion -- they slant info to get signups.

If you've got the brains for military logistics, there may be a related career that's more flexible and perhaps as exciting for you. Look into what the State Dept, the CIA, the FBI have to offer. You may be able to find scholarships related to such careers that will help you finance the college that would make you eligible.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I could be wrong, but I think that it is possible to become an officer without ever going through boot camp. I think it is if you get a college degree in something that would be useful as an officer, you can then apply to become an officer. Obviously, you would have to check into that further. I had a very good friend who was in the marines (he did go thru boot camp, but I think I remember him saying something about this, but like I said, I could be remembering wrong, too).
  6. LizzyBell93

LizzyBell93 New Member

I am still researching other possibilities of what I may have. FMS in younger people is rare but possible most of you have had it most or all of your lives without knowing it but my mom has it also which helped me link my symptoms. Listening to your body is a great way to put it thank you for that I will try it out. I may also try a special diet and herbs I would rather natural than meds any day. When i said I have planned out my career i ment it. Currently I am in an NJROTC program in high school, if I stay the top or close to the top of my grade I can get anNROTC scholarship. My current instructors, one being ex Navy and the other ex Marine, give me all the advice I need. I have many relatives who are ex marines but all went enlisted. I will not have to go through bootcamp but I will have to go through 4 years of training in college, plus 3 months at OCS. Its hard work and I know I have the strenghth to go through it but will I have the endurance?
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Hi LizzyBell. I’m feeling anecdotal tonight. I hope you will bear with me.

Here is a story I read years ago, so all of the details may not be as I read them.

Once upon a time, in France, there was a prisoner awaiting execution. He spent his final days regaling anyone he could with tales of what an exceptional horse trainer he was. He said that he had even trained a horse to talk.

Eventually the head jailer told his superior about this prisoner who claimed he had taught a horse to talk. His superior told the King. The King, who was as avid horseman, was very interested. He asked that the prisoner be brought to him. The prisoner assured the King that he had trained a horse to talk. The King asked him if he could train his favorite horse to talk. The prisoner said that he could. The King asked how long it would take. The prisoner said five years.

The prisoner was returned to the prison with orders that he be allowed to spend as much time with the King favorite horse as he wanted. The other prisoners wanted to know if he really thought he could teach the horse to talk and reminded him that the King would be very angry if he did not. The prisoner replied, “Well, in five years the horse may die, the King may die, I may die, or the horse may talk.”

Now I am absolutely NOT telling you to lie to anyone. The point is that you have some time. At 16, you have a year or two more of high school plus four years of college before OCS, which I am thinking will be your biggest obstacle.

I have CFS only, not FM. With CFS, the new people who are being diagnosed and treated more quickly are doing much better than us oldsters who were undiagnosed/untreated and/or misdiagnosed/mistreated for years. I don’t know if that is true for FM.

FM is a new illness. In the next 5 - 6 years progress may be made in treating it. You health situation may not be at all the same when you are ready to enter OCS.

I do think you are correct to recognize that the FM could cause you to alter your plans. My advice is to stay with your current plan as long as you reasonably can. As you go, listen to your body, explore treatment options, and listen to the people around you. The ensuing years of school and N(J)ROTC will do a lot to answer the question “But how far will I really get with FMS?”

Now, a true story.

Years ago, a friend of mine was accepted into the Air Force Academy as a pilot trainee. He did not meet the then current vision requirements for a pilot, but the Air Force was discussing letting pilots wear contact lenses, so he was admitted into training. He made it up to their fastest fighter jet, then it was decided that it was not safe to allow pilots to wear contact lenses in those jets. He was disappointed, but switched to navigation. He graduated as a navigator, but, ironically, got into logistics, eventually handling the logistics for Air Force One. I think he enjoyed his career.

If you find that you cannot handle OCS, when the time comes to make that decision, your schooling may provide you with other options that you will find satisfying.
  8. LizzyBell93

LizzyBell93 New Member

You are right I do have time to see how things are going to go. And I do plan to use it wisely. As I was discussing with my mom earlier when going to NROTC with the career path of a marine you do physical training everyday for most of the day and then there are your few academis courses, so it will actually be like a four year bootcamp in a way. So what I decided to do is test it out this summer, excersize everyday as an experiment. There are very few outcomes and I think I may know what will happen. With FMS you are kind of an everyother day person, you work hard one day and recover the next. But if I work hard everyday will I end up not being able to do it and give up, or will I become immune to working hard everday as if it was just a walk in the park. I think I will get used to it. So if I test it out this summer before my junior year begins I will know if I can do it our not. I will have my junior and senior year to either keep training or decide on a new career path. I'm a very strong willed person and my doubts of becoming a marine are fading now. Thank you all so much youhave helped me a great deal.
  9. LittleBluestem

No anecdotes today.

Do you have anyone with FM who can advise you? With CFS, all the will in the world won’t do any good. Some of us are as bad as we are because we didn’t know what was wrong with us and just kept pushing ourselves deeper into the hole.

Would it make any difference in what courses you would take next year if you knew that you couldn’t handle the NROTC program? I think it might be better to spend the next year and a half trying to improve your FM, then do the exercise experiment before your senior year. That would give you a year to make alternate plans, if necessary.

You need to find out the best way to approach exercise with FM. You probably need to be even more careful not to do too much to soon or do things the wrong way than the average person.
  10. LizzyBell93

LizzyBell93 New Member

My mom has FMS thats why i was talking to her about it. Where I live there is a career technology center (CTC) which you can go to and take your junior and senior year, it really helps you ocus on an individual career. CTC is one of my options if I decide I wont be able tog into the marines so I thought if I test it out this summer and it doesnt work then I can chane my schedule and go to CTC my junior and senior year.
  11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

My son is a Sgt with the USMC if I can help you in any way by asking him questions for you I would be more than happy to. I do know that the physical side of the corp is unreal...and I do believe that every Marine goes through boot camp, I applaud you for wanting to serve and I am here for you if I can help you in any way.

12. LizzyBell93

LizzyBell93 New Member

Trust me I have done my research talked to many recruiters, many ex marines,and some active duty marines. I won't go through boot camp because I will be training for OCS all through college and OCS is much tougher than bootcamp, it is basicly an officer bootcamp. Only those who go enlisted go through bootcamp, ask your son. Thank you though if I do need anything I will ask. :)
  13. LittleBluestem

Well, it looks like you have less time than I thought you did before a critical decision needs to be made. Until next summer, focus on getting to know your (new, FM) body well and learning what you can do to work with it instead of against it.