U.S. requires same insurance coverage for mental as for other illnesses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Jan 30, 2010.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

This story is in the news today.

I think this could result in less pressure on doctors to diagnose depression instead of CFS (or even M.E.), since it has been to the financial benefit of insurance companies for people to get mental illness diagnoses in the past. This may end up being beneficial for PWCs (PWMEs), but it will also no doubt raise the cost of insurance. Time will tell how this plays out.

Best regards,

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I would think that this will be very beneficial for people with CFS and FM. If "all" illnesses must be covered at the same rate, then there is no advantage to insurance companies and their doctors to classify our illness as a mental illness. It's about time someone fixed this loophole!
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Very good article. Maybe this will also help people realize mental illness is also a medical condition.

Right now it is very hard to be admitted to a psychiatric ward because insurance does not pay as much as regular hospitalization.

Imagine if they had the same standards to get admitted to the cardiology ward after a heart attack!!

People would be outraged. They should be.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

....it does not include Medicare, which is currently abysmal re mental health coverage....normal copays are 20% & mental health copays are 45%....considering what is charged for mental health visits/hosp etc, this makes it basically impossible for people with Medicare to afford mental health visits

sorry, not to rain on the parade, though - I do think it's great (& long overdo) that regular insurance will have to start giving equal coverage