Ugh, I'm so sick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, Jul 7, 2006.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

It seems as if every summer I catch a cold. I mean, who does that?! Who gets a cold in the middle of the summer?! Lol, me of course. I've got a "nice" sore throat going on right now...the pre-cold kind of sore throat. However, it's a very bad sore throat. I just finished a cup of hot tea, and the lunch menu for today is some chicken broth. Mmmm, yummy! I'm trying to drink alot of water, seeing as that's about the only thing that will go down right about now. I also took some children's liquid motrin. My uncle's doctor had told him that children's motrin helps with sore throats by coating the throat. It actually did work and made the pain more tolerable until the medicine itself kicked in.

Unfortunately, I didn't sleep much last night so I'm basically running on empty. Every time I started to fall asleep I'd get this feeling like there was fluid in my lungs. So I'd wake up gasping for air and trying to clear my throat. I think I got a total of an hour worth of sleep. I'm trying to stay awake for my 5-year old son, however, it's been a rough morning. I've resorted to plopping him in front of the TV so that I could get a little rest. He's great though and he seems to understand that mommy is sick.

The problem is...I was in a bad flare and was running low-grade fevers of up to 100 degrees. I think my immune system was weakened so much by the flare. As soon as I came in contact with my aunt who was sick, the virus just had a field day with me, lol. The funny part is, I was barely around her. But I guess all it takes is a few respiratory droplets and we're doomed.

My dilemma is whether or not to go to work tomorrow. I work on the cardiac unit of a local hospital. I'm wondering if they'll still let me come in and just wear a mask around the patients. I've only been working here for 6 months, so I'm not sure what they generally do. I was only sick one other time since working there, but then I had a fever of 103 and was not about to even try to go in. Maybe I'll call the charge nurse and see what she says. The worst that can happen is that she says don't come in, which I'm sure my husband will be absolutely thrilled about...NOT. lol.

Gentle healing hugs to all,
    Kim
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

So sorry you are feel bad and hope you feel better soon. Summer colds are the worst I seem to be battling a little one myself and know the feeling of not getting much sleep last night.

I am lucky in that I do not have a little one to look after... poor you that must make even more rough I bet.

I really don't have any thing to offer just a little show of support.

I am betting that the charge nurse will say no to work though wouldn't want to take the chance with cardiac patients but you already know that.

Take care of you,

Karen :)
  3. darvick

darvick New Member

Im sorry to hear your sick, my spouse has CFS, and just got over a bout of pnumonia which happens instead of a cold, I have FM, CF, etc also. Try gargling with warm salt water. It helps shrink the swelling, and rest if you can :)
    Hugs
    Darlene
  4. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

So, after a night of fever, pain, and sickness I decided to call off from work. There's no way I could have gone in. My fever was about 100 degrees, which isn't too bad. However, I was feeling sooo achy and had the chills majorly.

To make matters work, some jerk was setting off fireworks/firecrackers in the parking lot next to our apartment building...at 2:30am. It went on about every 10 to 20 minutes until 4:45am. My husband was PO'd because he had to go to work this morning. We were looking outside and saw a cop looking around. Once the cop left, the firecrackers started again. After hearing 2 more of them, we called the police. We, again, saw a cop looking around outside. However, I don't think they found anyone. That was at about 3:30am. All was quiet until 4:45am we were rudely awoken by another loud blast.

Needless to say, I feel like roadkill today. I called the charge nurse first thing this morning to let her know I wouldn't be in. This sucks, I just started this job 6 months ago and this is the 3rd time I've had to call in. I'm sooo tired of getting sick. And I don't call off unless I'm extremely sick. I just took my temperature at about 9:30am, and it was already at 100.4 degrees. Which means it will only get worse as the day goes on. Every joint in my body aches. Even my back is real sore.

To tell you the truth, I would have rather gone to work tonight than be sick with this garbage. I think I'll end up calling the doctor on monday, depending on how tomorrow goes. My aunt, who I caught this from, ended up on an antibiotic. So, we'll see what happens. It seemed like just a regular cold until the fever set in. But then again, nothing with me is "regular."

Well, gentle hugs to all. I everyone enjoys the weekend. Hopefully we'll all have good weather this weekend. I'll enjoy the weather from the couch, lol

Hugs,
    Kim
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Aw...Kim...I can totally relate to what you are going through.

I just did a post the other day because I'm SICK AGAIN TOO!
    I have strep throat and poison ivy & oak!
    What a combination!

You must be a nurse. I'm in nursing school, on summer break right now, and every break we get in the semester I spend being sick!

I hope your charge nurse is understanding. It's tough being the new kid!

Take care sweetie!
    CockatooMom
  6. lfrost

lfrost New Member

To all those who struggle with frequent colds-have you ever tried the natural remedy called "Echinacea". It can be bought as drops or tablets. I always go for the drops-15 in a small amount of water. It works 9 times out of 10. If you feel you are getting a cold or have been with someone who has a cold-just take this 2-3 times a day for a couple of days-good luck.

If you have tried this and it doesnt work-sorry, but know it always helps me, my son and partner.

Good luck to you all.

Lucy
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kim:

Please feel better soon. I am sorry you have to go through all of that. Your title to this post 'Ugh..' is surely appropriate.

Feel better soon and get as much rest and nutrition as you can.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

nyrofan
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Kim have you ever been tested for seasonal allergys? Mine will come on like a really bad cold just like you decribed I even get a fever with them.

Staying on allegra throught out seasons has help to reduce my "allergy Colds" If I stay on allergy I only get real colds a couple time a year, if that.

Try takeing an Allegra and see if your cold goes away faster then it usually does.I was totally shocked that I always thought I had a cold but it was really an allergy.

I hope you feel better and really stay home you are protecting others from getting it if its a cold.Plus your body needs the rest , take care of yourself.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2006]