Ughhhh great pain doc gone UPDATE: having withdrawl

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I just called and wondered why my script was not written yet, for a pain med that has changed my life. My pain doc has been "keeping me alive" on these with coupons, while fighting my isurance for me. I just call and here that... what is that supposed to mean? I ask if he will be in tomorrow and they said no, he is out indefinately.

He is the most caring and compassionate doc I have ever met. He will always fight for what is right. He is actually a PA at Pain Management, so I am sure the doc that he works for is swamped and I took my last pill this morning and now... I am already hurting... my body is looking for this med already... I am a wreck thinking about what to do.

I doubt the Pain Management do will call me today. Atleast the PA knew what to do if they ran out of script coupons for me, but I guess now I need to explain what he said, etc... First I get my other meds stollen by my accupuncturist, now this... WHAT a mess! This is not my week and it is only Monday...

Hugs
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  2. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

Sorry you are in pain again.Perhaps your trip back to pain was to help someone like me.You posted and got my attention.I have NO pain meds!!! We haven't found one that works without making me itch and breakout with a raw like rash on my face and neck.Right now my doctor is telling me to make sure I am sleeping 8-10 hours at night and then execise to see if my pain goes,yeah right!So whats your miracle drug?? I call anything a miracle if it can conquer FM pain.
    Oh and, I hope you get back on your meds soooon.Keep making phone calls til someone gets you what you need.
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

It is Fentora, usually only used for cancer patients and insurance co's do not want to pay for it. It is very expensive. I use it for breakthru 4 x a day and it has been a lifesaver.

It is a very strong med though. Have you tried timed released morphine? SOunds like the morphine based stuff probably is what is making you itch.

Let me know what you have tried and maybe I can come up with another option... I have tried lots unfortunately.

Hugs
    Kim
  4. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I've tried Vicodin,ultram,Ibuprofen,tylenol 2&3,relafen,oxycodone,darvocet and others that I can't remember right now.Some of them work for the pain but the itching and rash are always there by my second day taking them.My dad is on tegratol for his MS and said I should try it but my doctor thinks we can cure me with proper rest and exercise. Oh how I wish I could give her my pain for an hour and see if she'd change her mind ya know.
  5. calgarychris

calgarychris New Member

Hi Kim

You sound a lot like me. I went into emerg with a rash and itch, was on morphine. The ER doc took me off everything cold turkey, which began the absolute worst two weeks of withdrawl, I wanted to die! However, I was able to tolerate demerol and the fentanyl patches as they are man made (synthetic), so maybe give those a try! Good Luck to you,

Chris
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

i know what you mean... i have never heard of that drug, what is it supposed to do??
    I will keep thinking of ideas for you
    Hugs
    Kim
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

OMG - Friends.... I am having serious withdrawl from my med going out of my system.. this is scary, I am burning, freezing and sweating all at the same time....

It is withdrawl... I called the other doctor and he is going to figure out what to do.. I hope he figures it out real soon.

I feel like death...
  8. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi kim--
    no doctor can do this to you, drop you off cold turkey like this, it is illegal and unethical. ask office if he has anyone covering for him, he should have a doc to help get pts tapered down.

perhaps he got into some sort of legal trouble, otherwise he should be available, but a doc has to TAPER you off on strong withdrawals like fentanyl, not cold turkey.
    i cold turkey withdrew from fentanyl (my choice, tho) and wouldn't recommend it without alot of preparation and support.

if you absolutely can't get anyone from there to help you, go to the ER, withdrawal can be tricky and dangerous, maybe they can help you, and if your doc is in legal trouble for overprescribing, etc they have probably been instructed at the local hospital how to help your docs pts thru the withdrawal.

i've done this and please post to me for details that you need, i will try to help you, but you need at least some oral meds to keep a little opiates in your system, they can't expect you to go cold turkey. what kind of support do you have right now?? kids to care for? husband or family support? you are in for 2 very difficult weeks if no medical professional will help you, go start making phone calls right away!

pretty soon you won't be able to sit at computer and if you don't have a strong support system, will be all alone without us, please start calling around now!
    you are not an addict, but physically dependent on this medicine, and i think someone in the med. field is obligated to help you thru this safely!

good luck and keep us posted--L
  9. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

orbnlc -
    Thank you for your kind words and advice. This is awful... They finally called back and said "You are in luck, we found another coupon for you".... I am actually trying to apply for a job right now and this is not a med I can take during work hours, so I cannot wait for this to happen again. That was scary... I remember something similar happenign when I left the hospital with a fentanyl patch. They DID not warn me and I was unable to locate the doctor *(in ER) that gave it to me. It was awful, but I finally got thru it.

So, if I may ask, are you off all of the hardcore meds now? It sounds like you stopped cold turkey.. god love ya... how in the heck did you do it?

I just took my first dose of the med again. I can see what you were saying that soon I would not be able to be on the computer.... It litterally feels like you are dying. Burnign inside, sweating, headache, vommiting, nausea... you name it. I was soaked thru my clothes by the time I got tto their office. I hope this stops it right away, but I am not sure.

Thanks again and I am anxious to hear back from you.
    Hugs
    Kim
  10. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi kim,

glad you are feeling better now! Have you found out WHAT happened to your doc yet? We had a few selling prescript. like candy where i live, when finally caught up with, they closed up immediately and indefinetly, also. (all 3 serving time now)

this type of doc makes us look bad and our good docs so paranoid they are afraid to prescribe what we need!
    then if any of their pts were legit. pain pts, no one will treat them now, so i hope this isn't the case with your doc--probably not since they were able to finally help you out, i just hope they gave you some info for when this batch runs out, did they encourage you to taper down??

in answer to your questions:
    I did go off cold turkey after the work health doc told me coworkers were afraid i was too groggy at work (labor and delivery RN, nursery duty also) and was falling asleep holding a newborn. that upset me enough that i tore the patch off, and even tho i still had a box left, never put on another one.

withdrawals were INTENSE, severe anxiety, restlessness, nauses, diarrhes, sneezing (in 3's!), ALOT of pain, etc.
    i lost 10-15# in about 2 weeks! It was complicated by my pain doc ordering a med called "clonidine" which I thought was klonopin for muscle spasms but is actually a blood pressure medicine (in my right mind i never would have made ths mistake!)

This is used in detox centers where pts. BP is off the charts, but fibro pts run low and it almost killed me, my heartrate was in the 40's and skipping beats all over the place, and blood pressure was 70's over 30's-40's when i finally got checked out.

so this made it worse, but still the withdrawals were tough, i was lucky enough to have a loving family, a hubby who just held me while i thrashed around in pain and anxiety, made me jello (watermelon is the best for this!), and even helped me in and out of the tub!

suprisingly, after i was off meds for a few weeks (was taking an occasional vicodin) the pain was much easier to control, but i think because i was so weak i could barely move, so didn't aggravate it too much.

i couldn't go back to work for 6 weeks and for that, needed to get back on pain meds--went on a compounded dose of hydrocodone 30mg/dextromethorphan 30mg 3-4x/day.

later, that pain doc dropped me and my new one has me on Kadian 30 mg 2/day, vicodin 10/500 2/day as needed, actiq 400mcq one every other day as needed. (oral "lollipop" type of faster acting fentanyl.)
    i have also started the mirapex protocol and that seemed to be working til my cervical spine issues started acting up.

And--when i came off of the patch, i stopped the guaifenesin protocol, which reverses fibro after a year or so but makes symptoms worse before it gets better, have since started that up again.

sorry to go into so much detail about me, but you asked--but get everything straightened out before you get stuck in this situation, you WILL lose about 2 weeks if you have to cold turkey withdraw, so hopefully your doc just eloped or something and will be back to keep you on regular meds or taper you down if that is what you want. I wouldn't want to see anyone go thru that--even if you break a pain management contract, your doc is still obligated to give you a treatment plan with enough meds for a gradual withdrawal.

good luck--L
  11. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

obrnlc - Thanks a bunch! I wanted to know how you were and how you did that. I do believe that at some point in the near future I need a detox plan and then slowly introduce pain meds (mild hopefully), and be on more of a weak maintenance dosage.

I know I cannot go without anything or I would not be where I am right now... the pain, as you know, is too intense: I have Lyme disease (untreated), DDD, possible Lupus, Fibro and bursitis... there is too much to even write, but you get the jist. Sounds like you have a whole slew of stuff going on too. I just want the meds to be more effective and not keep building the dose up more and more... you wonder how it will be in a year or so... or post op... something has to be done.

I think I have an appt. with him in a week or so, so I will use that opportunity to discuss weaning off, etc. Yes, you are right... I NEED a back up plan, they said they would carry me as long as they could with the coupon deal because it could be 6 months before we get insurance to cover this expensive med. I have to get the coupon script filled every 7 days.. so I cannot imagine they will be able to have the coupons in stock every time.

Best of luck to you.. thanks for filling me in on everything and listening!
    Hugs
    Kim