Ughhhhh, flare sent me to the doctor:( was it RA??)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I woke up with fierce pain yesterday, and a sorta new pain as well. I ending up calling the doctor after trying all the tricks in my goody bag; ie, heat, ice, hot shower...lots of Motrin. Nothing broke through so i could try to get it in control. Thinking about it now, I never really though of the sort of mind control, er, pain control we put ourselves through to try and remain in control of the pain.

The doctor was wonderful...when you arrive in tears and hobbling like a drunk you just need to have someone acknowledge your pain. Not debate it with you!!

Anyway she ending up sending me to the hospital for some blood work...she is testing for rheumatoid arthitis (sp) to rule it out since the joint pain is familiar to me but never, ever as painful as it was.

The joint pain was in my thumb joints, right hand and elbow and a little bit of my left ankle. The pain can only be described as sharp, somewhat hot feeling in my elbow it hurt to touch the areas and to move then....well, it say painful is an undestatment but i can't think of a better word.

Anyone have an opinion on this, FM or does it sound like RA? RA does run in my family.

2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Anyone with RA??

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Deb,
    Sorry to hear about your pain. Happy to hear though that your doctor treated you so wonderfully.
    I'm surprised you haven't been tested for RA before. I have the initial RA test done, then they have another test they can do that is more 'in depth' (another blood test).
    I can't say whether it's RA or not, however I have pain, severe pain sometimes that I swear is in my joints, but apparently is not. My knees, hip joints, wrists, elbows etc. hurt like hell. Right now as a matter of fact.
    Do you have anything stronger to take than Motrin? My strong pain meds sometimes don't even touch the pain I feel.
    You should get your blood results back fairly quickly. Please let us know what you find out. In the meantime, I hope you get some pain relief!!
  4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Thanks for the'd think I'd have all the answers by now:)

The doctor prescribed some valium for now, though not that she will continue that or not. I do have some relief from the valium...more of less from the fibro pain.

I go back and see her tomorrow, I'll keep everyone informed.

5. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

Hi Debra! Im sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I have fibro and possible RA. I was diagnosed with fibro two years ago.

In Feb of this year one day started having some bad thumb joint pain like you are describing. This was the left. Then a few days later on the right.

Now most joints hurt. This is different from the muscle aches with fibro. This is deep joint pain. I have seen a rheumy.

Im going for a second opinion next week.

Im curious to know what your tests show as you are the first person Ive heard from that has described thumb joint pain.

I can tell u more about my lab tests or u can see my posts on the arthritis board.

Good luck :)