UK epetition to limit CBT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

This is the Dr Speedy link as it includes one of his brilliant cartoons, it's an epetition against NHS using CBT without proper evidence.

Sorry only UK residents and ex pats can sign as I know & appreciate that the rest of you are always very supportive to the abuse we Brits are having from the psychs.
  2. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

ive just signed it
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

4. Shelbyeatenton

Shelbyeatenton New Member

Hi everyone, I haven't been here for quite a while as i've been having a very rough time with FM and also depression...

I might add, before i carry on, i DO NOT believe FM or CFS/ME are Psychological illnesses AT ALL... HOWEVER my personal experience of FM and it's severe impact on my life has had devastating psychological reprocutions.

Nearly two years ago i became so convinced that i had no worth or future that i tried to take my own life. Since then i have worked with different people trying to deal with these problems and lift my depression.

I only started to turn around in the last 6 months when i started C.B.T. and learnt how to change the negative feelings/behaviours i was experiencing and carrying out, therefore, better managing my pain.

I'm not saying it helps everyone or that my pain has gone away at all. What i'm saying is that if you find THE RIGHT therapist the knows FM/CFS/ME is a PHYSICAL condition then it really can help.

I just want to also add incase people think i'm trying to "sell" the idea on behalf of the NHS i am not medically/psychologically trained. SOme of you may know previous to me getting my life was consumed with training to be a dancer, not learning how to get through each day! :-(

I hope i've not offended anyone, and if you simply don't agree with me please don't reply simply telling me i'm wrong because that won't help ME.

I'm just trying to help other people, and that after all is what this site is for. :)
  5. becc

becc New Member

Hi Shelly,

I've no problem with people using CBT - it helps some people, doesn't help others. People should do whatever helps them cope.

The problem is that the NHS is trying to prevent people with ME accessing any other sort of treatment. So those for whom CBT/psychotherapy have no benefit at all are being forced to take part in a useless 'treatment', wasting both their time and the psychologist's and wasting the taxpayers' money. Not to mention being denied any chance of recovery through other means which is, quite frankly, absolutely criminal.

I've signed the petition - as a British citizen living overseas, I don't often get to sign these sorts of petitions so it felt good to make my voice known :)

6. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

With what Becc said - I'm sure it does help people COPE with their pain (like LP) but it's never going to cure anyone. But they use it because it's convenient for them. It's relatively cheap and it means they have SOMETHING in place to offer us. They don't care if it works or not.

If they did, they'd have a proper diet and med protocol sorted out, and lots of tests to look for all the things we are deficient in. But no, that costs money, and effort.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have spirutally signed the epetition, if that is possible!!

I hope this petition will have some effect.

CBT without using other treatments is ridiculous.

Thanks for this post.

Take care and keep up the cause!!
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

CBT should not be the primary treatment for a physical illness, nor should it be all we are offered, although it might help those that want to do it.