UK Judicial Review - we lost

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

This is such terrible news, I'm off for a good cry. Here's the MEA's comment:

High Court supports ME treatments that are ineffective or harmful

The legal challenge to the NICE Guideline on ME/CFS was lost in the High Court today – when it was dismissed by Mr Justice Simon. More details later. Please find The ME Association’s immediate response below.

People with ME/CFS now face a situation where doctors will continue to recommend two forms of treatments that many people with the illness find ineffective or even harmful.

The ME Association is disappointed that the High Court Judicial Review of the NICE Guideline on ME/CFS found in favour of NICE.

Recommendations that two controversial treatments – cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise treatment (GET) – be offered as front-line treatments for those with mild to moderate forms of the illness remain unchanged.

This is despite the findings of the largest-ever survey of ME patient opinion carried out by The ME Association last year which found that only 26% were helped by CBT – while 56% reported that GET made them feel worse.

The ME Association believe that the two people with ME who took up the legal challenge were fully justified in seeking a court hearing into the processes used by NICE to draw up the Guideline.

Despite the Judicial Review failing to result in withdrawal of these potentially dangerous guidelines, The ME Association maintains that the evidence relating to both clinical and cost effectiveness does not justify the emphasis and optimism being given to these two treatments. NICE’s recommendations cannot be justified by the evidence.

We shall continue to ask NICE to review the contents of what we maintain is a seriously flawed and unhelpful Guideline.

Note to Editors:

For further comment from The ME Association, please contact our Publicity Manager, Tony Britton

Tel: 01406 370293, Mob: 07880 502927
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Can this be appealed? Can other people take up the challenge and drag them back into court? Something has to be done about this.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

That is such crummy news! I had so hoped that there would be a move in the right direction today. I hope people are able to come up with another route to get this dealt with and get this CBT and GET trash where it belongs as a first-line treatment -- in the garbage!
  4. daylight

daylight New Member

Sounds to me like the court is saying that it's all psychological and that the only treatment working well is CBT . Am I correct in thinking this??
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

The only thing that CBT might be helpful for related to our illnesses is in dealing with the depression and anxiety that arise from having such limited, sick lives, and the grief that comes from losing the full and fulfilling lives we used to has no effect on the physical illness itself that is causing our lives to be limited by sickness.....our mitochondria are not going to start working bc we think about them differently! I don't even have the words for how infuriating this is! Not to mention how harmful it is to keep trying to tell people that it's all in their heads, when it's not!

And as to the GET, it actually harms a lot of people by making their illness worse....what happened to the mandate, first do no harm?!

With all the research showing the real, physical causes and issues of our illnesses, why do they keep on insisting on this cr*p??!!!!