UK Panel Calls Homeopathy 'No Better Than Smarties'

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by gapsych, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

For the rest of the article go to: http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/uk-panel-says-homeopathy-is-no-better-than-smarties/19368530

To see the 275 page report go to:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmsctech/45/45.pdf

FYI, I have no idea what Smarties are.

gap

Feb. 22) -- Homeopathic treatments are nothing more than glorified placebos, and the British government needs to stop spending public tax dollars to fund them, a committee reported.

The Science and Technology Committee, a panel of British MPs established to evaluate the merits of homeopathic remedies, released its report today. While Britain's National Health Service (NHS) has been paying for homeopathic treatments since 1948, the committee wants that public money pulled from the procedures.

"It sets an unfortunate precedent for the department of health to consider that the existence of a community which believes that homeopathy works is 'evidence' enough to continue spending public money on it," committee chairman Phil Willis said in a statement. "This also sends out a confused message and has potentially harmful consequences."

Willis also expressed concern that serious illnesses would go undiagnosed, all while patients were being prescribed remedies that "are basically no better than sugar pills or Smarties."

The committee added that the government should impose tighter regulations on homeopathic medicine, to prevent manufacturers from making unsubstantiated claims on product labels.
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

smarties are more like a sweet tart,only a little more on the sweet side. I love em',since I'm a sugar addict!~~~Jeanne
  3. springwater

springwater Member

we all know how much you and gap have benefitted from allopathic meds. Congratulations!

God Bless

4. springwater

springwater Member

There you are, then. Maybe we can expect a thread from you dissing allopathic meds now.

God Bless
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am flabbergasted by your statement. Many of the "alties" post about the same topic over and over. But that's okay.

I think you are confusing people who disagree with you with people not liking you. They are not the same.

I will not defend why I post about certain things. No one should.

But I find your sarcasm very telling.

gap

Sarcasm and then "God Bless". WWJD?[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2010]
  6. springwater

springwater Member

who said anything about liking not liking. Everybody cant like everybody. I dont expect it.

You know, on that previous marathon 'homeopathy is not a scam post' which followed 'homeopathy is a scam post' on the CFS board things got so ugly kamina got booted by the moderators for behaving badly and Kina left in a huff and didnt return for months because so many people came on and supported homeopathy.

People who were using homeopathy and found it worked for them said it. Because they knew for them homeopathy was NOT a scam.

But you are not content to let it go inspite of all this.

You have pulled out yet another post dissing homeopathy.

Whether people get booted or leave the board altogether or for months means nothing to you. Oh no. YOU must have your say. Because you have the right. And that is all that matters.

What is the harm in letting people who are benefitting from homeopathy carry on and be well?
    Should they give up their treatments because you or some other person or article slams the treatment?

Like some one said in pumpkins post on the CFS board, one may have the right to post certain things, but it may also be more right NOT to post that if it is causing hurt or dissent.

Kina says the Brits are objecting to homeopathy because the govt is spending so much money on it. Why would the govt spend on something that has no demand? Its because people are demanding that the govt would have to allott money. People are demanding because they want it. They want it because they have found it works.

I write God Bless because i want God to bless everyone

You even. Perhaps even more so. Do you think because of a post on homeopathy i wouldnt want God to bless you?

God Bless

7. springwater

springwater Member

Didnt bother to read your article so you neednt have bothered with all that typing.

Never mind your 'quack' explanations as to why britain was buying into homeopathy because of Prince Charles, Prince Charles also was laughed at when he started organic farming and now its become big time, even a third world city like ours has 'organic' farm products for sale at considerably higher prices and doing well. And no, our populace isnt buying organic because our prince does, we dont have a prince any longer.

I wont go into explanations re homeopathy. The previous titanically long post which sent you off the board was enough.

God Bless
  8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I did read your post above and found it very interesting and informative. Thank you for posting it.
  9. springwater

springwater Member

Belief in God isnt evidence based via scientific methods but.......?

even some of those who dissed homeopathy on the thread by gap said they believe in God.
    I started laughing helplessly...hahahahaha

God Bless

10. springwater

springwater Member

they believe in God because even tho scientifically unproven their experience and inner feelings tells them God is.

Homeopathy believers believe in homeopathy because their experience and the results they get tell them homeopathy works.

No scientific mumbo jumbo needed for either.

And yes, a word of advice. A person who spends all their time looking for things that wont work, will find probably find nothing works. If you spend time experimenting hands on to find what works, you probably will find something that works.

Its the law of the universe. Seek and ye shall find.

God Bless

11. springwater

springwater Member

lets hear you tell your believer friends their belief in God is a 'placebo effect'.

LOL!

You probably dont believe in ghosts but there are people who do. They wont listen if you tell them it is the 'placebo effect'. Because they jolly well know that the only placebo effect is the one clouding your brain and making you completely closed to 'what is' outside the realms of 'scientific evidence'.

Think about what i said about looking for things that work instead of spending your precious energy on trying to prove what doesnt. It could be the turning point in your life.

God Bless

God Bless

12. springwater

springwater Member

Of course you dont want to discuss anything which proves you wrong. People have been cured by prayer. Peoples lives have been changed by prayer but how does one scientifically prove that?

One doesnt. The proof of homeopathy is the results people get and the demand for it. Some of whom are here on this board and posting as opposed to you who hasnt even tried it and reads papers on it and presents it as 'proof'.

Even IF it were 'placebo effect'. I say good. Bring it on as long as its healing people.

U go ahead and write what you want. If its something i know is half baked, i will come and say so. And so will others.

God Bless
  13. springwater

springwater Member

Just saw your little post.

I wont respond. Someone on the CFS board has already cme out and called you what many here think you are.

God Bless
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

"If its something i know is half baked, i will come and say so".

Well it looks like we do have something in common. We all have the right to speak our minds.

I am posting for informational purposes. You can take from it what you want. We will have to agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

One reason I point out that homeopathy does not work is that people are going to third world nations and want to use these "cures" It is happening right now in Hati and lives are being lost because Haitians need conventional medicine. If you want to read an interesting article about what is going on in Hati, go to the following:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=4032#more-4032

The World Health Organization has put out the following:

Comments from WHO:

In response to an open letter from scientists and researchers, the World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a unequivocal statement that it does not support the use of homeopathy for HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, influenza and infant diarrhea.

Dr Mario Raviglione, Director, Stop TB Department, WHO: “Our evidence-based WHO TB treatment/management guidelines, as well as the International Standards of Tuberculosis Care (ISTC) do not recommend use of homeopathy.”

Dr Mukund Uplekar, TB Strategy and Health Systems, WHO: “WHO’s evidence-based guidelines on treatment of tuberculosis…have no place for homeopathic medicines.”

Dr Teguest Guerma, Director Ad Interim, HIV/AIDS Department, WHO: “The WHO Dept. of HIV/AIDS invests considerable human and financial resources […]to ensure access to evidence-based medical information and to clinically proven, efficacious, and safe treatment for HIV… Let me end by congratulating the young clinicians and researchers of Sense About Science for their efforts to ensure evidence-based approaches to treating and caring for people living with HIV.”

Dr Sergio Spinaci, Associate Director, Global Malaria Programme, WHO: “Thanks for the amazing documentation and for whistle blowing on this issue… The Global Malaria programme recommends that malaria is treated following the WHO Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria”.

Joe Martines, on behalf of Dr Elizabeth Mason, Director, Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, WHO: “We have found no evidence to date that homeopathy would bring any benefit to the treatment of diarrhoea in children…Homeopathy does not focus on the treatment and prevention of dehydration – in total contradiction with the scientific basis and our recommendations for the management of diarrhoea.”
  15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This will be my last post to you.

What people think of me is none of my business.

Please take care. It is not worth it to get stressed out because people have different opinions.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2010]
  16. springwater

springwater Member

Wow, a whole lot of people being killed by homeopathy. Im sorry for whoever you know died because of this therapy but Ive lived in a region where people have been using homeopathy for hundreds of years and didnt hear of any deaths, no court cases against it, nothing.

The people against homeopathy are the big pharmaceutical companies who till now have not developed any effective cure for depression or a lot of diseases inspite of the money pumped into research. Theyre scared of natural healing which will obviously affect their income.

Homeopathy is known to be a gentle inexpensive treatment which works over time. Actually my son had these three big warts on his hand which were not going away inspite of using several allopathic ointments and plasters recommended by doctors. he had them surgically removed twice at great cost. They returned larger than ever. The last treatment he took was when I sent him to a homeopathy hospital run by an Indian association and renders services free of charge. he had had these warts for over two years. Now they have disappeared completely.
    No side effects, nothing.

So you can write all you want. You dont have ANY personal experience. All you do is read and read, present those as facts and think you know it all. Well you do that and i will do what i will.

Someone like jamin and others have actually helped people on this board by suggesting this remedy that remedy which she has personally tried and they also have benefitted and come out and thanked her. And all you do is negate negate negate with your sour and accusing posts on this issue and other issues and bring down the whole atmosphere of this board which is meant to be a support system for people not a downer making members want to leave the board instead of taking part. Why dont you post on what helps you or something positive for once in your life? Do you enjoy being so negative?

Gap

I wish i didnt have to say what i did earlier. And Im sorry if i hurt you.But sometimes there comes a limit as to how much longer should anyone be allowed to behave inconsiderately.
    When so many hints and posts implying the same seem to go over peoples heads and meanwhile ill and sad people seeking succour and comfort on the board are instead treated to
    sarcasm and belligerent behaviour. I guess someone just lost their patience.

God Bless

17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Huh?? I choose not to let what people say bother me. You also have that choice.

gap
  18. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I get really tired of all this fight floating from the FM board to the Health Board. Will everyone stop all the boogeyman theories and/or fighting going on here. There's so much good health information to be passed on the board, that it risks getting lost in the fighting. And this board wasn't about fighting.

I got tired of it when we had the Jesse Ventura Conspiracy Theory show posted here on the Health Board that the Swine Flu vaccine was so bad for us. Well, I actually watched that show rerun recently and the premise was that an elite group of business men were supposed to rule the world and to do so would kill off 90 percent of us with the Swine Flu vaccine. The truth is that Ventura could not get to speak with any of the business men to actually get their side of the story--he only got one side of the story.

Sure, it makes for sensational TV, but in the end Ventura was not able to prove anything. In fact, he ended the show not by saying that he confirmed and proved this, but instead he ended the show by saying "we'll be watching." And I hope he lives up to that and does watch because after bringing this to TV and scaring people, I want him to watch.

And now so many have gotten the Swine Flu shots and we're alive and that conspiracy theory is debunked. People coming to Ventura with these stories reminded me of the gossipmongers in high school that would run around claiming people were pregnant or quitting school for good, or other stories and they were so wrong but they did it for attention--and they're grown up and undoubtedly doing the same thing today.

And by the way, it is an American's right to attend political groups and is not something that we have to "wonder about people's motives who attend political groups" and to state about some place funding people who are on this board. That's just totally horrible to say that and that's back from the "Red Scare" tactics and the McCarthy era and I'm ashamed that the fighting here has gone that low. I hope everyone gets involved, either in political parties, in voting, in getting your voice heard for our future and there is nothing wrong with that. But on this board, this has become mud slinging instead of intelligent discussion. And it's gotten down to it's lowest.

BUT, I grow tired of people on the boards forcing in my face that supplements, prescriptions, homeopathy, non-homeopathy, doctors, vaccines, anti-vaccines, soy, non-soy, etc. are the one and only choice we MUST be making and people are willing to get forceful and fight over it. We forget they are one of many options we have and we don't need to get beat to the ground in making our choice. Let's stop and remember that the people on these boards are good people and we all deserve to be treated well.

19. springwater

springwater Member

With due respect to your feelings on the matter I have to disagree.

I think theres nothing more likely than some big pharma companies planting a stooge
    on a health board in order to push sales their way. Nowadays everythng is advertisment.
    Pharmas target the sick and this is a board where ill people come for support. Im not saying
    this or that person is hired by a pharma company but i am sayng it is not impossible and very likely.

I value inputs on different treatments. So i dont mind people talking about what works for them be it supplements or traditional meds. I just dislike posts which are put up simply to get peoples backs up. In this case trashing homeopathy after its been done to death in two marathon posts.

God Bless

20. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think some people may possibly be paid by Big Placebo!!!! :>)

gap