UK patient with ME(CFS) sectioned for "abnormal illness beliefs"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, May 9, 2009.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

UK patient with ME sectioned
    for "abnormal illness beliefs"

Brian Nicholson a young UK patient with POTS a
    subtype of ME (postural orthostatic tachycardia
    syndrome) has found himself sectioned under the
    UK's notorious mental health act.

Though of no danger to society Brian has now joined
    the ranks of those patients whose human rights are
    flouted and abused.

Brian is now imprisoned in a secure psychiatric unit
    because he has ME. The psychiatrists treating him
    consider this to be "an abnormal illness belief".

To find out more and to support Brian please
    go to the facebook group:

(this is what also happened in the UK to Sophie Mirza - she died of M.E. (CFS) as a result)
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Don't they see it that his blood pressure drops? All they have to do is take his pressure while he's standing awhile and they will see it drops and doesn't come back up. It's a real physical problem. And it's been the main reason I'm on disability. I get it so severe that I'm not functional from it.

My heart really goes out to this guy and I wish these witch hunts would stop.
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

FUK. this makes me wanna kill someone.
  4. quilp

quilp New Member

The most hated man in the UK, coined the phrase 'abnormal illness beliefs'.
    And so it continues; the most wicked medical scandal of modern times. Thank you for bringing this to our attention Bluebottle.

Regards, Mark
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

This breaks my heart. I have been following Sophia's story on youtube.
    watched her moms interview yesterday.

Can't not believe this happened again. There were so many news shows in the UK talking about ME.

This has to be so scary for people who are ill there,knowing they can come in and haul you away.

I hope when they get the blood test developed(Reno)and these egomanical shrinks are put on trial.

6. outofstep

outofstep Member

How can POTS be considered an "abnormal illness belief"? Is a stroke also an abnormal illness belief? How about a heart attack?

This is just ridiculous. Everyone please testify at the upcoming DC CFS meeting. You won't just be helping in the US, you'll be legitimating CFS worldwide, and the sooner this happens the sooner that quacks like Wessely get the boot.
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

if beligum is part of the european union and one of the most prominent CFS doctors is there (demeirlier), how can this be happening in the UK? spain passed a law that says everyone with a CFS diagnosis has to be treated within 3 months. they are part of the EU too. WTF???
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Thank you for your support, M.E. treatment in the UK is like a witch-hunt, is like living several hundred years ago.
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

they ought to be locking up the shrinks who are doing this.....they are the ones with delusional beliefs about our illness, and their beliefs ARE a danger to others!

btw, POTS is not a subtype of ME - it is a separate illness that is often acquired concurrently with ME (in other words, lots of people with ME have it, but it is a distinct illness....people who do not have ME can also have POTS and people who do have ME do not all have it)....not trying to be picky here, but it's an important distinction
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2009]
  10. misskoji

misskoji Member

And absolutely disgusting and evil. I don't know what else to say. It breaks my heart. To all of our friends in the UK (and Canada for that matter)-stay strong, and I'm so very sorry human beings can be like this.
  11. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

There was another lady in the UK that had cfs and was forced into a mental institution because no one believed her. She eventually commited suicide because of the incarceration. Her mom posted her video on youtube so that this wouldn't happen to others. Find the video, contact the mom, get yourself a lawyer and $ue $ue Sue!!! what the da hell is wrong with the UK????? so messed up..[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2009]
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

are you talking about Sophia M (don't remember her last name)....if so, she did not commit suicide - she actually died from the ME/CFS - she's the first one to have that listed as cause of death, and it may not have happened if she had been given proper treatment.......if you are not talking about her, then there is yet another one - this situation so totally stinks either way
  13. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

yeah that's her. She died from ME which she blames on being forcibly imprisoned in a mental institution and not getting the proper care for her ME. In the end, she did not die by suicide but by homicide.
  14. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Everybody needs to read this!!!

I had NO idea!
  15. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

Now it seems a diagnoses of ME in the UK means that their medical establishment can forcibly institutionalize you and deny you of any treatments for ME. Then again, NICE only recognizes CBT and GET as therapy for ME(lol), but that's not going to be to helpful at all especially for an incarcerated patient with severe ME. Incarcerated, sick with ME and then forced to exercise and to participate in CBT sessions. Wow, that's just pure torture worse than bush's enhanced interrogation techniques. This is so very sad for ME patients in the UK.
  16. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

There has to be some way we can fight for Brian. If it were me in there, I would hope the community was doing something to help me get out ASAP. Holy cow! I cannot believe they can get away with this. This is torture.

17. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

Your analogy of a 'witch-hunt' is spot on. Living in the UK with CFS/M.E. can get pretty scary at times.

As if we all don't suffer enough. At least that chap has all our support behind him, just a pity we don't make the 'rules'.....

18. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Why the heck isn't this on the TV news? This is BIG!!!!
    If we Americans knew about it, we'd send our prez an e-mail avalanch.
    Our countries are supposed to be allies!
  19. AdirondackScarlet

AdirondackScarlet New Member

How ignorant can the medical community be.
    I thought ours was ridiculous, rethinking that one..hmmm
  20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

In the US young Ryan Baldwin has been forcibly taken into foster care because he has severe M.E./CFS:

Sophie Mirza died of M.E. as a result of her incarceration in a locked room of a locked mental ward, where she was denied nursing care even thought she could do nothing for herself:

the psychiatric profession are increasing their stranglehold on our neurological illness