Ulcer pain? whats it like?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, May 30, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys
    for those who've been DX with an ulcer,.... what was it like?
    I'm having some pretty bad stomach issues going on for over a yr now. Its flaring up again now.
    I always thought it was just my IBS or possible IC.(and it could be)
    But I think I'm seeing where the pain is way worse with an empty stomach. Seems its soothed a bit by eating. ???

for now I'm gonna try an OTC pepcid or something.
    Pain meds do not help this stomach pain.
    My belly is an empty pit that just knaws at me with pain/tenderness. ???
    thanks for helping
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have been having the same type of problem for several years and I keep getting worse. I have had about every stomach/bowel test in the book and they tell me that they don't see anything.

I have been told that deuodenal ulcers can be very hard to find. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I am so miserable most of the time.
  3. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Ulcers are BURNING pains in your stomach, that don't go away easily. I've been DX's with duodonal ulcers before. You know how I got rid of them? STop taking antacids!!!!! Your stomach needs acid to digest food. Start taking 1. Fish oil (found in pill form) 2. Digestive enzymes (also pill form) 3. Probiotics and 4. make sure you get lots of fiber. These things naturally heal your stomach. These truly work. My husband and I both have had numerous scopes of our stomachs. WE both had esophagitus (wearing-away of lining) and I had little ulcers. We both were given Prevacid, Prilosec, etc. We found that doing the above 4 things helped naturally instead. We watched a lady on PBS who had a program on about this, and she explained how the stomach works. It all made so much sense we tried it and we both are just fine, now. Good luck!!
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am not sure of all the symptoms but I can tell you what helped me. There is a very old (safe) drug called Carafate. It coats your stomach like nothing else. It is like a bandage on your stomach lining so it can heal.

Secondly, take a drug like Nexium. The Carafate is prescription but the doctor will have no problem giving it to you. You must take it 3 hours before any regular medications because it can prevent other drugs from absorbing if taken too close together.

This has been a miracle to cure my stomach problems. Sometimes these older drugs are still great. You mentioned Pepcid, that is great also but you might want to try Nexium.

Also, when my stomach was bad I drank Aloe juice. You can get it at the health food store.

Avoid spicy, hot foods. Try to eat smaller meals, more frequently. Frozen yogurt used to really help also.

The only thing that really helped was using the Carafate. I used to come home from eating out and with 2 hours was in the bathroom heaving, wretching, and bringing up everything. My stomach was so sensitive. I could feel the acid I think.

Also, another change I made was to stop eating fast food hamburgers and fries. You might not be doing that but I was eating it everyday! I bought a shake mix called Gold Standard via the internet. It has a very digestable protein that even a baby could digest. I started making the drink my first meal of the day. This shake is like a thick malt, really tastes good and comes in chocolate and vanilla.

I am wondering if I had a borderline vitamin deficiency before I started the drinks because I have improved so much since starting them.

For years I wasn't able to get proper balance nutrition because of digestive problems - from gallstones to whatever....

5. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

It was several years ago, but I remember it being a burning, knawing pain when my stomach was empty. I was placed on Prevacid first, then changed to Nexium. I remain on that as a precaution against another ulcer. I also used alot of Mylanta (otc antiacid liquid). It took a long time to heal. I still use Mylanta every now and then as I get mild gastritis occasionally from my meds.

Good luck.
  6. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

ok, have been having stomach pain; am always nauseated (doxy) and this morning when I hurled up my pills I am 99% sure I saw blood. STILL no insurance, how much should I worry?
  7. thenewme

thenewme New Member

HI, I have had ulcers before, my pain actually started in the chest area, I would get a very heavy feeling in chest, and would not feel well at all.

Doctor's did ekg's checked heart and that was ok, I would also start to get this really bad empty feeling at the top of the stomach right in the middle were the ribs end, it would be a knawing deep like hunger pain, but when you touch the area it hurt to press at all. That is when the doc decided to do test and found out I had a deaudnal ulcer. Sorry spelling my not be correct on that, anyway I was given prescribtion prilosec at the time and it took time but did heal me. good luck gentle hugs Barbara
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

It sure spounds like another problem I'm having.

Oh God. I just hate, hate, hate all the tests they make ya go thru for a DX!
    but I realize its something I have to do.
    These attacks are getting more frequent and more painful. I'm just sick of it all.

One thing I'm not even sure about with ulcers,...
    does the pains come and go??
    I'll be ok for weeks at a time then BAM,.... I'll have horrible stomach pain for weeks. Does it come and go?
    gonna go out and get someting OTC now. gotta force myself to get dressed and get out of this house.
    Hugs/Thanks again,
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Ulcers feel as if you haven't eaten in 2 days, like that gnawing painful empty stomach, although you may have eaten an hour before.

Not all ulcers are caused by bacteria....mine are caused by all of the medications I've taken throughout the years. Mainly for my migraines 30 years ago when there wasn't good medications for them. (I once had a doc tell me I can take 14 Bayer aspirin but if that didn't help, to head to the ER)

My ulcer still causes trouble from time to time but I'm on a Prevacid type medication to help this out.

Since we take so many medications, it's easy to see how this could become a problem. When your meds say to take them with food, it's because they're not good for the stomach lining and may irritate it. Eventually, an ulcer is possible.

10. steach

steach Member

Wow- it is great to see a familiar name on the board since I've been gone for quite some time! Glad to see you're still here!! For my stomach, I take Nexium- nothing else even comes close to giving me relief. My doc also gave me a script for something called NuLev when I have really bad days with stomach pain, upset stomach, etc. I don't remember how to spell the generic name but I'll spell it the way it pronounced: hi-oh-si-a-mean. Hope this helps. How are you?

11. karmagurl59

karmagurl59 New Member

Throwing up blood is NOT GOOD, I had stomach problems for about a year, was taking pepto, etc, and then I got a cold/flu thing. Was taking Nyqil cherry. Well one morning I just did not feel good, and ran to bathroom cuz I had diarrea (doc said it was dark because of pepto). Well, I puked up what I thought was Nyquil (it was blood),passed out on the toilet, fell to the floor, and could not lift my head more than 3-4inches without passing out. Took me 3 1/2 hours to crawl on my face to my cell to call hubby, who called 911. Short story is, I had an ulcer with a blood clot attached to it and I had been bleeding internally for about 3 months. After I got out of the hospital, my doc gave me Carafate which coats and heals, and still take it 2 times a week now for prevention. The doc said this was all caused by me taking Extra Strength Excederin for my migraines (God I miss Excederin!!) If you throw up blood or the color of your stools turn dark, make sure you are seen and do not think it is something else, as I did. This ulcer made me dehydrated, anemic, etc and they ahd a hard time getting an IV in me. I was in the hospital for 7 days, 2 colonoscopys, 2 endoscopys, tube in my nose to my stomach, I crashed a couple times in the middle of the night and almost died. at a price of 74,000. I do not have insurance.
    If you have any of those symptoms, PLEASE see your doc, I would hate for anyone else to go through what I did because I thought it was the flu/cold symptoms and I am stubborn.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2008]
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

you've best described what I'm feeling.
    I do feel totally empty,... starving in fact. and yet I'm eating every few hrs.! the pain is deep,pit like,and just knaws at me.
    It acually FEELS like I have a canker sore inside of my belly. (or an open sore)

on a few occasions I've felt nauseated with it,.. but for the most part its just pain.
    I kinda feel bloated too.?? (I look it)

The drs. are setting up an appointment for me to get this all figured out. hopefully it won't take months for an answer.
    Thanks again for your help :)
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

to Thank everyone for your replys~

I'll reply more later.

My gut is not even cooperating with me using the computer.
    Its hurting pretty bad at the moment~

will check back as soon as I can.

14. ulala

ulala New Member

bloating, gas, diarrhea posted today.

If you have pain, bloating, stomach issues it may be of interet to you.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2008]
  15. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

If you've been having stomach pain and you are throwing up blood, please go to the Emergency Room. (Whether or not you have Insurance). They will treat you. It's only likely to get worse.

16. tandy

tandy New Member

Maybe someone else did but not me.
    That'd be a sure ER trip for me,wether I wanted to go or not!!
    I knew someone many yrs ago who had a severe bleeding ulcer and had alot of his stomach removed because of it. He lost alot of weight fast. Thats scary~
    and its nothing to fool with.

Did anyone ever tell me if they're attacks come and go?
  17. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Yes, the attacks can come and go....do you smoke? This too is horrible for ulcers and can make them worse.

18. tandy

tandy New Member

quess that'll be another reason to quit,... since I've been wanting to try again.
    I'm a coffee drinker too and I've heard thats a big no-no for an ulcer.

The only other question about ulcers I have is this:
    Can the pain be felt thru-out the abdomen??

cause although I feel the majority of pain in the upper/middle stomach,.... when it gets bad my whole darn stomach hurts. from my ribs to my bladder. ???
    the whole thing gets tender,hurts like heck.
    (kinda goes thru to my mid back sometimes too)

unless its just the position I'm in at the time,... I find myself shifting or moving around to get the most comfy. which is hard to do :)
    I'm a mess.
    embarrasing to but I'm passing more gas the past few months too ?????
    did'nt think it meant anything but maybe it does.

this morning it seems a tiny bit less painful.

any added thoughts/comments are apreciated,
    Thanks again everyone,
  19. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I'm so sorry to hear you are in such pain. You should of course make an appt with your Dr if you haven't already. But in the meantime, do a google search on Gallstones and Pancreatitis too. Look at the symptoms on both of those and see if they are similar to yours.

When you see your Dr. make sure they order an ultrasound of your abdomen, upper and lower and an upper GI. These tests will rule in or out all the stuff mentioned in this thread and more. It is pretty thorough.

I have had very similar symptoms to yours for several years and no one ever thought Gallstones. I was checked for Pancreatitis because my symptoms were close to those. I figured since I had various tests and X-rays that if gallstones were the problem they would have found it in the other testing, wrong.. I had just finally figured since nothing was coming up that I had ulcers and just ate bland food. After many years of suffering and tests that showed nothing, my abdomen became bloated on top of the other symptoms and my PCP order the tests I mentioned. I finally got the diagnosis of Gallstones and had my gallbladder removed earlier this week. time will tell if the removal of my gallbladder will end all of my symptoms.

Anyway thought I'd share my story and suggest you get those tests right away instead of possibly getting bounced around like I did.

20. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Many of you are describing exactly how I have been feeling - gnawing pain in my stomach like hunger pains and some sharp pains in other parts of my abdomen. I am wondering if anyone ever had this and it WASN'T an ulcer.