Ultra-Sensitive Emotions (Is it just me?)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nancyw, Jul 28, 2003.

1. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Everyone: I have noticed in the last 2 years that I sometimes am ultra-sensitive to comments from other people. I used to be this way when I was younger (now 47), but I thought I had it under control. It's very disconcerting because I can actually feel something inside go "snap" (like a rubber band breaking) and I can't help it. I've always been able to "read" people very well and pick up on body language, changes in voice and facial expressions, etc. - not just what people say. Over these last two years, though, I've really had some times when I get so upset and it takes days to come down. I've been on anti-depressants for 7 years and my doc and I have been experimenting with different ones (back on Prozac for now), but I still seem just real touchy. Had a run-in with my son-in-law last week. Won't go into details, but I left my vacation a day early because of the way he was speaking "around" me about me. Anyway, anybody else have this problem. Does it come from constantly dealing with this DD or am I the only one? Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

to everyone especially at work. I used to be able to keep my mouth shut, I'm normally a shy person, not able to speak up but now, watch out. I don't really lose my temper but most of the time, they know how I feel. I also am very sensitive to even the tone of my husband's voice when he says something. And, this is a man who is very understanding about my FM. Is very supportive also. I think its mostly because of the chronic pain all the time, it just wears me down.

Judy
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I think it's part of the illness itself, not from dealing with it.

My "talking" cat always wants to participate in conversations whenever someone else is here (I'm not a talking cat person, anyway, but that's another story). Because the noise is VERY distracting, I often yell at her. I figure that, 1) this illness can make us irritable anyway, 2) the brain fog can make us irritable, 3) being tired makes us irritable AND less able to control our emotions, 4) noise can make us irritable. I think there might be a 5th, but don't remember. :)

My mom gets very disapproving when I do it but, as you said, it's like something snaps. I don't like yelling at her, but then realized that before I got sick I didn't.
  4. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Thanks for replying, guys! I can relate to each of your responses. I'm usually the easy-going one - you can push me a long way, but just DON'T push me over. I've always been the one people bring their "emotions" to because I can understand where they're coming from. I've been to therapists before (with my children and also for me alone), but there again, even the therapists don't seem to connect. When I went to one therapist because I was so depressed when my kids left home and I was alone (empty-nest thing), she actually said, "Oh, yes, I have heard about that empty-nest thing before. Maybe there is some truth to that." Needless to say, I didn't go back to her any more. Unfortunately I've been unemployed for about 2 years with no insurance so I can't afford to pay a therapist right now. I'm hoping my disability will come through in the next two months and then I probably will go again. I know it's just a matter of finding somebody you "click" with, but that can get REALLY expensive. I asked my doctor to prescribe Klonopin yesterday, but she was very reluctant and said she wanted to try Restoril first. So I started on 15 mg Restoril last night. Maybe if I can get some sleep, I can't get control of things again. Anyway, thanks for the moral support. It definitely helps get me through the days when I'm feeling down.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know I sound like a broken record, but Klonopin has really smoothed things out for me. Our poor old brains, which are constantly misfiring, can make us super sensitive to lots of things: Noise, light, sound, movement, touch, and others' body language, remarks, etc. It's like we are always in a fight or flight mode. This isn't good for us.

I got all kinds of help with therapy, but I couldn't shake the anxiety and panic attacks. Then, I read Dr. Cheney's article here on Klonopin and I printed it out and took it to my thrapist. My doc prescribed it for me and it changed my life. It not only got rid of this super sensitive state of sensory overload, but it stopped the anxiety/panic attacks, insomnia, tinnitus, and muscle spasms.

Love, Mikie
  6. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

Oh no it's not just you, I am the same exact way. Antidepressants and therapy haven't helped for that either. Maybe a little bit but I am still very sensitive with things. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you and me and everyone here are in chronic pain everyday and it is very taxing on your body. So emotionally it is draining as well. I think it is hard for your body to have to deal with your emotional health as well. I'm sure a lot of us would be helped by taking benzos also. Unfortunately I used to take Klonopin, it helped me a lot but my psych nurse didn't want me to take it any longer for those age old fears of addiction. My rheumy was going to give me a muscle relaxer if I needed it maybe I should ask for Valium because it acts as that as well.
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I believe it is hormonal, since it got so much worse when I went through menopause.
    The last time I got really mad at someone, I ended up in the ER with stroke level blood pressure and a migraine.
    I feel this symptom will kill me if I don't stay away from people who tick me off.
    Klutzo
  8. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i have always been sensitive...i can't help it , its just how i am .
    but it used to be ok , now i am out of control.....not every day, buts lots of days.
    i get the something snaps and my mouth opens and out shoots something angry or i get hurt and i can't express how i feel.
    this out of balance and out of control stuf i feel is the illness.
    the sensitiity is mine.
    and being sensitive has its positives, i can also really enjoy myself and i am more aware of other people in a positive way too.

in fact since i have been this sick i prefer to spend a lot of time alone because other people simply overwhelm me. not because anything is wrong, its just too much for me. this feeling definately only developed alongside the illness getting worse.

we don't get prescribed the klonopin here [uk] and my doc is away longterm so i can't ask her why. will try and remember to ask her when she comes back.
    pinkquartz
  9. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Hello Nancy, i like you notice ultra-Sensitive Emotions.i try to avoid any *stress* situation that is obvious(shop at 2am-no other shoppers ect.,)I also notice a large difference in ability to *cope* w/out Klonopin9learned that this weekend:{).I can't avoid all situations,I wish it was possible. I'm trying to better gauge tolerence as well as learning invisible stressors to allow a bit of life back to my living. The awake Coma state i exist in Has kept me from getting a handle like i want,but it may be unobtainable.then i guess klutzos'idea,and other hermit wannabees' would be the next plan. :)
  10. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

HI,
    I have noticed that I am constantly defending myself/illness and taking what people say the "wrong way". I feel like a young child who has no control.....
    My husband even mentioned it the other night, boy did that set me off! I figured it was just the medication, but I see with all the posts that it is something more. I find that having to defend myself to other "normal" people really gets me going. Other times the depression really gets me down. I try to put on my everything is ok face and take it as it comes, but there is only so much I can take. DAM! If the "normals" had to deal with this DD they would be sensitive too!

Rachel
  11. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Nancy, a lot of places/counselors have a sliding fee scale. If you think you need therapy NOW (or whatever), you might want to make some phone calls to find out.

My counselor in Oregon let me keep track of all the appointments and pay her when I finally got my disability. She also let me do some work for her to help work off my tab. (This was sort of annoying, since she still kept me at the same rate--granted it was 1/2 of what she "normally" charged--but I know she saw someone else for free. Of course, that wasn't for long-term either and I ended up owing her for over a year of visits.)
  12. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I go off on people for the smallest things! I can't seem to stop myself from doing it. Makes me feel like a crazy woman sometimes. Nice to know I am not the only one who gets this way.
  13. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I can't decide if it is the onset of menopause or this DD or both but I am overly emotional. My anger seems much more intense and I cry very easily.