Ultracet info please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pookiebyrd, Dec 7, 2002.

1. pookiebyrd

pookiebyrd New Member

Has anyone had any exprience with ultracet?? I have been on Vicodin for years and my neurologist(who is also head of a pain program) said that he prefers Ultracet, because your body gets used to Vicodin and it just stops working.... anyone have any input??? Everything I have read on Ultracet states that it is used short term (usually 5 days) for acute pain. It really does seem to take the edge off the pain, just confused as to the indications..........

thank you in advance...

Pookie
  2. pookiebyrd

pookiebyrd New Member

Has anyone had any exprience with ultracet?? I have been on Vicodin for years and my neurologist(who is also head of a pain program) said that he prefers Ultracet, because your body gets used to Vicodin and it just stops working.... anyone have any input??? Everything I have read on Ultracet states that it is used short term (usually 5 days) for acute pain. It really does seem to take the edge off the pain, just confused as to the indications..........

thank you in advance...

Pookie
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I take Ultram, which is Ultracet without the Tylenol. Obviously we are taking it for chronic pain, not acute. I know that my doc and articles I've read indicate that this is NOT a narcotic. I think that is why many docs prefer to try it before moving to something stronger.

I know people here use Vicodin for their chronic pain, but it was rx'd for me after I fell and needed 9 staples to hold together the resulting gash in the back of my head. I will say my FM pain was better while I was taking the Vicodin.

Barbara
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have been taking Ultracet for a while now. I was taking Ultram and it didn't help. So my rheumy switched me. I take it on an as-needed basis and it works. I have no side effects and it's not addicting. Do you take Magnesium? It's also very good for muscle pain - you have to take it every day - most of us do not have enough magnesium in our bodies.
  5. kardog

kardog New Member

I've heard about Magnesium, but no specific dosage. What is a daily dose, and what type Magnesium is best to try? Thanks. Kardog
  6. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Pookie~~My physician gave me Ultram, said it was non-narcotic, and non-addictive. I took it 4 times a day for a year and never abused it.

When I tried to get off of it--I went through pure HELL! It was AWFUL! I began to do research on it. And the pill itself has no narcotic in it, but mechanism in which it works is to milk our own natural opiate or endorphin center in the brain. Our body's own natural opiate is much, much stronger than any narcotic. Regular narcotics only affect one side of the brain--Ultram/Ultracet affects both sides. It was so difficult to get off of because I was addicted to my own body!

It took me 6 weeks to titrate off of the Ultram with the help of my physician using lesser & lesser potent "narcotics". And it was a horrendous experience.

I work in a hospital, and when Ultram came out all our physicians took their patients off of regular narcotics and put them on Ultram "because it was non-narcotic and supposedly non-addictive".

In the end, it cost the hospital an enormous amount of money to medically detox these patients off of Ultram, and so the hospital took Ultram/Ultracet out of our pharmacy, and the docs went back to using regular narcotics because it was easier to get patients of them.

I know some people on this Board have reported that they had no problem with Ultram, but I certainly did.

You can go up to the Search Messages slot on this Board and type in Ultram/Ultracet and it will pull up all the posts on Ultram for you. There's a wealth of information about it from people who've had experience with it. Best Wishes, Carol....
  7. firelite

firelite New Member

Just found this message board and am lookng forward to spending alot of time here, Ive tried ultracet and it just never worked for me. Finally had to get on hydrocodone everyday and Ultram for break thru pain. For some reason the ultracet just didn't even touch my pain.

8. Ann1026

Ann1026 New Member

My rheumy gave me samples to try and they really helped. When I went to get the prescription filled I found it was not on my HMO formulary of drugs and the full price was more than I could afford alomg with the co-pays for all my other prescriptions. Seems there is no generic for Ultram/Ultracetm It's too bad because it did work for me.
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

There is now generic available for Ultram. It's called tramodol. I've gotten it from a couple of different makers now.

Barbara
  10. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I take ultram daily, for pain, and Vicodin for break thru pain. The issue of dependency with chronic pain, is way down on the list. If and when the time comes that I have less pain, then I will deal with physical dependencies. For the time being, being afforded the ability to get out of bed, and partake in a few "normal" and necessary aspects of life, without disabling pain is paramount. I take what I need to manage the pain.
    I have been on Vicodin for 7 months, and when used as a supplement to the Ultram, I have not had to up my dosage. You may ask your Doc, Pookie, if this is an acceptable plan for you, if the Ultracet, is working most of the time, but just doesn't cut it....some of the time. You mentioned your Doc says it (Vicodin) stops working, and you have taken it for years. Have you had to increase your dosage above the recommended dosages?

Lynda O- Narcotics are some of the best pain relievers, used in Chronic and Severe pain. There is a stigma attached to the word "narcotic". The facts are that only 1% or less of patients using opiods for therapy become addicted to them. These are addictive personalities. The drugs are not addictive in themselves, but do like many drugs, cause physical dependence. When managed by a good physician, and a responsible patient, the benefits far outweigh the risks.
    There are many management tools used with patients in chronic pain to negate the problems that may arise.

Ann-Tramadol is the generic for Ultram.

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2002]
  11. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

my doctor switched me from the vicoden to the ultram and the ultram ( I am using the generic version Tramadol )works so much better than the vicoden I think I am even more clear headed, I dont know if it is from so much of the pain being gone after such a long time or just the switch between the two meds but I love the ultram. My doctor told me to add the tylenol if needed and to add my vicoden for break through pain but have not had to use the vicoden at all...feels good to sit and lay anyway I want! It has been along time....feeling better feels so good....you forget how good it can feel..I have even been sleeping up to 7 hours at night...before I would average around 3 hours. I dont know if it is addicting or not and don't really care at this point this is a chronic life long illness and anything that is going to make my quaility of life better it great. In the begining the very first time I was perscribed a pain med I cried I so did not want to have to depend on them, if I would of had any idea of the difference pain meds make I would not have waited so long! Hope it works as well for you.
    Rain

[ advertisement ]