ultracet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenda2, Aug 24, 2005.

1. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

does anyone here take ultracet? to make it through work i have to take 6 to 8 of them for the pain. i take cymbalta and ultracey everyday other meds as needed i have differant ones for sleep but i have just bought meletonin
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Glenda,

I used to take two ultracet (50mgs) every six hours. I switched though to ultram ( tramadol is generic ) because I didn't want to ingest all that tylenol. I have never had success with tylenol as a pain reliever, so it just seemed I was putting my liver through unnecessary risk.

I really like the tramadol. I take 2 50mgs tram. with 3-4 advil every 6 hours. In the last few weeks I have only needed my AM dose and PM dose ... instead of all four. If I really do more then I should then I take a small ( I'm a wimp ) 2.5 or 5 mgs flexeril with my tram/advil.

My doc encourages me to take it regularly... to break pain cycle or to try and stay ahead of it.

Hope this helps.

Elsa

P.S. - Strange , but true ... With ultracet, I felt groggy .. After taking the tylenol out of mix (and leaving tramadol) with ultram, I get a little lift or energy boost.
  3. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thank you elsa for your response. my dr. will not let me take advil because of my live but said the ultracet would not hurt it. i just have to take so many to work it worries me. thanks again for your help.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

I'm sorry about not being able to take advil. I'm not sure I posted very clearly though. The ultram doesn't have advil or anything mixed in. It is just straight tramadol.

The ultracet is tramadol with tylenol.

I wasn't sure if I said that right the first time. Anyway, are you taking two of them every 6 hours? I have, but I'm not now .... hopeful that I won't have to again anytime soon.

You know, 8 years ago I had a liver infection and my enzymes were elevated. My doctor said I could take advil, but not tylenol ... because of my liver. Strange about these doctors huh?

Well, I hope you do feel better soon. I just wanted to re-post in the chance I led you to believe ultram had advil in it. I take the advil for minor arthritis and lower back scar tissue that's unrelated to FM.

Take care,

Elsa

5. ckk

ckk New Member

i too used to take ultracet and it made me sleepy too and it really didnt work for me, now i take ultram... gives me good results while keeps me from getting sleepy.
    ckk
  6. ophelia_immortal

ophelia_immortal New Member

I have personally not had much luck with Ultram or Ultracet. In order for either one to do me a darn bit of good, I have to take 6-9. I know that it is dangerous to do take such a high dose, but what can I do? I need the pain relief and my doc is the Nazi of the Meds. I am lucky if I can get him to write for even one refill. I get enough to last me a month and I don't see him for 2-3 months... In fact, I never see HIM. I see his Nazi NP except for 1 time a year to check up with him.

I should probably find a new doctor... lol
  7. sunshine5050

sunshine5050 New Member

I take ultracet 37.50mg for pain. It knocks the pain right out. I do have to be at home resting so that it doesn"t make me sick at my stomach. I don"t take it everyday. I feel so good when I take it. I relax and feel so good mentally for several hours.I wish i could take this at work,but i would probably slid under my desk. I hope you you feel better soon.
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

but it didn't really help with the pain. Just wasn't strong enough for me. I'm on Kadian 20 mg. now - twice a day. In the beginning I did have some problems with side effects (nauseous feeling), but thankfully that is much better now.

Ellen
  9. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thanks for all the input
    god bless
  10. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

hi elsa i do take 2 at a time. i take 6-8 on a bad day at work. not so many on my day off. i had gallstones and the dr. mess up and cut my bile duct. i almost died. it has effected my liver and that is why the ( differant dr.) says no advil. this all happened 14 years ago and guess when my fibro started?????well i am off to bed to see if i can sleep ha ha thanks again.