Ultram and antidepressant

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scarlett65, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I was prescribed ultram a few weeks ago and am going thru a royal flare now really difficult to stand straight and walk straight even rolling over in bed hurts my hips making sleep elusive at best.

Anyway I checked the PDR for all the info on ultram and it says a contraindication is to not take ultram if you are on mao inhibitors or SSRI's meaning antidepressants. it even states not to take it if you are on Zoloft which I am on.

So what to do when in pain? I quit my Zoloft because my shrink had told me I am on a very low dose and I would probably need more so now I am still in pain and very depressed.
  2. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

I am on Lexapro and taking Ultram. Talk to you doctor about what you should do. Don't stop your meds with out talking to the doctor first.
  3. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I have to agree with not going off meds without the doctors knowledge but when I read the info on ultram it stated that too much of the action in ultram can cause a person to stop breathing. Well I have sleep apnea and dont need any further assistance at stopping breathing.

That is what made me decide to just stop the antidepressant until I see my doc again. I know you are correct I just didnt know what to do really.

I am now having a flare that is worse than I have ever experienced pain wise. I am literally in pain even when I am asleep it wakes me up probably because I tried to move in my sleep. I cannot remember this ever happening before this much. I am also having more panic/anxiety attacks and the crying spells after them are more often. My husband is so upset because I cant give him a reason for the crying. I just tell him I dont know although I feel it is because I just went thru a fright and that is painful.

Sorry so long I just had to get some advice and vent here.
  4. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Wow...I never checked. I am on Cymbalta and take 100 mg of Ultram every 4 hours. I guess I should take a look at it.

I hope I don't have to quit taking either one...they are the best meds that have worked for me so far.

Dawn
  5. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I am on 50 mgs of ultram and on the bottom of the prescription bottle it has a yellow sticker that says "taking more of this medication than recommended may cause serious breathing problems"