Ultram and fms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DavidTeer, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DavidTeer

DavidTeer New Member

My wife just switched from celebrex to ultram and I would like some input on this please.
    the celebrex was not doing any thing for her so we switched. Does it help with pain and are there any side effects?
    The pain from the fms is really bad and nothing seemsto help.
    Also wouldlike to get hold of a pain and dpression scale chart so I can keep a record for her.
    Thank you
    Dave
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

You're seem so caring. Hats off to you. Ultram is the wonder drug for me. I don't know how I managed without it!

Most likely she will do much better than on the Celebrex, but to each his own, everyone's different, and some people can't tolerate it. Ultram helps supress Substance P levels which FMers have in abundance while Celebrex does not, so that's why most people get better pain relief with Ultram than with an anti-inflammatory.

I wish everyone's spouse's could be as supportive as you!

~LISA
  3. mapessd

mapessd New Member

There needs to be more husbans out there like you !! Ultrm helps some for me but remember she may never be pain free again .. But being in less pain is good
    Keep being the wonderful caring person you are
    Hugs to Both Of You
    Suz
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi David--
    Celebrex is good for inflammation. FM does not have inflammation, although some with FM have inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, etc. also.

I am on Ultram for pain, and also use Vicodin on bad days. There are times when the Ultram is just not strong enough. Some with FM and CFS are very sensitive to meds, as a matter of fact my sister can take Ultram when her pain is on an 8 level, and get complete relief. I would get no relief whatsoever from it if my pain level were an 8.

The only side effects I get from ultram are headaches, maybe 3 a week, which I can relieve with Naproxin, and Ultram does make me hyperactive often. Not a bad thing as I have FM and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, too.

Best wishes to you and your very fortunate wife, who has such a supportive husband.
    LL