Ultram and how it works

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zggygirl, Jul 24, 2003.

1. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    A couple people posted about possibly trying Ultram.
    The info below was on a web page regarding how it works.
    "It also works by blocking the reuptake of two different neurotransmitters in the brain, norepinephrine and serotonin. Ultram is metabolized to another compound which actually is more potent than the original tramadol in helping to block pain."
    It's the norepinephrine which causes the hyperness/anxiety, which Klutzo pointed out to me before when I said almost any SSRI had that effect on me. I can not tolerate it but a lot of people don't even notice this side effect.
    FWIW,
    Ziggy
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been taking Ultram for over a year and a half, with no problems from anxiety or being hyper.

However before my dx, when I was being told this was all in my head, I was put on Effexor which not only did not help me, but also made me incredibly anxious and hyper. It also inhibits the reuptake of both seratonin and norepinephrine.

Now I understand the whole thing. Too bad my doc at the time just told me that anxiety was not a side effect of Effexor because it is used to treat it. I knew he was way off on that one!

Barbara
  3. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi Teach!
    Yes I had the same experience only worse with Effexor. I felt like I was going off the deep end and with only one dose. Yuck!
    I think that MD's should not prescibe anti-depressents for depression or anxiety and leave it up to the psychiatrists, though I've had some bad experiences with these docs. also.
    Just my opinion,
    Ziggy