Ultram ER 300 vs Tramadol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by peachums, Nov 14, 2009.

1. peachums

peachums Member

Hi all!
    I take Ultram ER 300 every day for the past few years. 200 was not enough and sometimes- I have to take mopics (mobics ?) for breakthru pain.
    New problem- my insurance is changing. The ultram is going to cost me 40 % more and I am concerned about hitting my max on scripts.
    Even though it is working most of the time- I am thinking about asking my dr for tramadol 50 mgs. Tramadal did work for me-- but the extended release was so much nicer.
    Anyone have any expericence with changing these drugs?
  2. loto

loto Member

Tramadol was the generic of Ultram? I take Tramadol HCL 50, and it says on my label that it's the generic for Ultram???
    Sorry, maybe I'm just not understanding your question. I do know that the tramadol is helping me out. I take it plus Vicodin 7.5.
    Tramadol helps keep the pain away, and Vicodin helps with breakout pain.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes, Tramadol is the generic for Ultram. However unless it has changed, only the Ultram has the extended release form.

I was getting some break through pain and my doctor thought the ER might help. However my insurance company refused it and sent me a letter that the regular Tramadol has the same efficacy of the extended release. Not sure I buy that.

I take two 50 mgs. up to three times per day as needed. Usually, I end up taking two hundred mgs.

Hope this is helpful.

4. loto

loto Member

thanks for the info.
    I only recently started taking it.
    It's a shame your insurance company won't pay for the med you want. I wonder why they refuse one med, but send you a letter saying the other is basically the same thing? Why the heck won't they pay for it then!
    They just never make sense to me!