Ultram ER Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MoibonFL, Feb 16, 2007.

1. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

I am going to begin taking Ultram ER 200 mg. Should I take this in the Evenings? Mornings? Will it make me sleepy? Can anyone tell me of their experiences when they first began taking this medication? All replies welcome, good and bad. thank you. I'm worried about working while beginning this new drug.
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Take your first doses this weekend..that will allow you to see how you feel on it.I used ultram when I was first dx'd..and for several days I had that "high" feeling..but it quickly went away. For me the down side was after about a month..it really wasn't making any difference in pain relief for me.
  3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

taking tramadol which is the same drug without the tylenol is that it keeps me awake. Not wired or anything like that. I just know if I take it after six in the evening, I am going to be awake most of the night unless I down some xanex and even then it's not a guarantee. I would try it on the weekend also. As I have listened to everyones experience on this board with Ultram and Tramadol, it takes a long time to metabolise and work and it is short acting so as soon as you feel the pain coming on, take it and don't wait for the pain to escalate. For me it wears off after 3 and half hours. I have side effects from the Tramadol with having headaches occaisionally but not all of the time. Call your dr. though if you have any side effects at all.
  4. rlafave

rlafave New Member

I took Ultram for pain with Fibro about two years ago and
    I found it to make me groggy and hard to sleep, kept my
    brain active while trying to sleep. I am now on Lyrica at
    75 mg. four times a day, my doctor is studying me because
    Lyrica is for siezures which I don't have, I have an advanced stage, 6 years of Fibromyalgia and now CFS.
    but the pain I feel is under control with lyrica.
    I hope this helps. what are you taking ultram for?
    I used to take 200mg at bed time even though it kept my
    brain from going to REM 4 sleep.
    PLEASE check with your Doctor before trying Lyrica....
    Bob [email address removed as per rules]
  5. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

I use the generic version of Ultram, which is tramadol. It's a non-opiate, non addictive like opiates (Vicoden, oxycontin etc) I am careful to use it only as needed, but start the day with 100mg on an empty stomach, otherwise I can't even leave the house for work. I may take 100mg around 3pm if needed.
    This med has been miraculous, as I can't take many meds. The pain has been relieved enough to allow me to physically function and to think about something other than how much pain I'm in. I didnt even realize how focused I was on PAIN and getting away from it, until it was relieved with tramadol. My doctor told me to use it as needed, still I am careful as I dont know what the long term liver effects are.
    Someone suggested starting it on a weekend, I agree as you may find yourself slightly sedated and calmed; not groggy or fuzzy, you'll see the difference:)
    good luck