Ultram No Longer Works What's Next?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HppeandMe, Oct 28, 2005.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Ultram no longer works for my pain! What is the next thing up that does not cause drowsiness that you would recommend??
  2. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

That's what I take anyway. Some on the board don't tolerate it well. It cuts my pain, doesn't get rid of it completely but gets it manageable.

I am up to Lortab 7.5/500mg right now. Talk to your doctor about your options. I used Ultram at first when I was Dx'd w/ FMS in 2000 but it stopped working well for me very quickly and I had to switch to something stronger.

Hope this helps!
    Jen
  3. susabar

susabar New Member

After Ulracet stopped working I took Darvocet.... that was about one year ago. Recently I had a bad flare after getting the flu shot, I actually started taking Vicodin but I am happy to report that I only used it for three days. It made me feel "dead" inside.
    Good Luck
    l Sue
  4. cph13

cph13 Member

I take ultram. At one point I was up to 400mg. My Dr. than said, "soon U will be on morhphin. I suggest U start taking the klonepin aka clonazepam that I suggest months ago on your first visit".

Well, I now take klonepin aka etc. and when I need too take only 2 ultram. My sleep has improved 10 fold on the klonepin and the pain........well, it's there and will always be ....on those days ULTRAM not ULTRACET works wonders. Try the 2 together if your dr. approves.

Now, my lung dr. wants me off I mean off the klonepin. I am going for a sleep study he swears by Xyrex and will have me off the klonepin if the sleep study so warrants.
    Good Luck and Happy dreams
    Have a bloomin'good day
    cph
  5. codinqueen

codinqueen New Member

I take 3 ultram at a time and it takes the edge off, but doesn't totally relieve my pain. Drs here in NW Florida are afraid to actually relieve anyone's pain, although that is one of the patient's rights. I have Osteoarthritis as well as FM and MPS, GERD, 2 slipped discs in my back, have had 2 surgical diskectomies and fusions in my neck for slipped discs and arthritis there, and need a total knee replacement. I am sick to death of Drs who are afraid to prescribe meds that work. And I'm sick of people who think people like us who have FM are "drug seekers". It's time for them to realize that all we want is some RELIEF!!!!!!!
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I put another post for you on the board. I'll bump it now and hope you see it.

abbylee
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My Dr has prescribed 10mg Morphine and a 100mg muscle relaxant called Norflex. I can take up to 3 a day of each if needed.

When I'm not in a flare I usually just take one each at night. I get concerned that my body will get too accustomed to the drugs. I still feel pain during the day, but it's nowhere near what it's like in a flare.

I had a flare a few weeks ago after a colonoscopy and even 3 a day of each of them didn't completely cut it but it dulled it enough to survive through it. When it started to subside, I reduced them down to 1 a day again.

It still works for me this way, I sure hope it continues!!

Regards,

Eileen
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Never worked for me. It just made me care less about the pain.

What has helped me the most is water--being submerged in the pool, 83 degrees or above with PROPER moving, and physical therapy with myofascial release.

What I was spending on copays for meds paid for a pool pass for the month.

I was so helped by the instructor, I have become certified now to help others......

Water, the fountain of "youth" ... I am more flexible, less stiff, have less pain.....

Fondly, June