Ultram or Ultracet???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Milo83, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

How many of you use Ultram or Ultracet for pain..And if so which do you think is better..Is the Ultracet not as strong as the Ultram..I have a hard time taking any kind of pain medication, even muscle relaxers - most of them will put me out..Probably due to the fact that I also take anxiety/depression drugs long before being diagnosed with FMS..Had problems since high school (now 48) with anxiety/depression..Dr. also gave me Norflex for muscle relaxer - any body have luck with this drug..
    I refuse to take these unless it becomes unbearable, due to other health issues besides the anxiety..Just was wondering if anyone gets relief from these drugs and if so, do you get any bad side effects...Would appreciate any imput on this......Thanks.......Have a Good Day........Donna
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

How many of you use Ultram or Ultracet for pain..And if so which do you think is better..Is the Ultracet not as strong as the Ultram..I have a hard time taking any kind of pain medication, even muscle relaxers - most of them will put me out..Probably due to the fact that I also take anxiety/depression drugs long before being diagnosed with FMS..Had problems since high school (now 48) with anxiety/depression..Dr. also gave me Norflex for muscle relaxer - any body have luck with this drug..
    I refuse to take these unless it becomes unbearable, due to other health issues besides the anxiety..Just was wondering if anyone gets relief from these drugs and if so, do you get any bad side effects...Would appreciate any imput on this......Thanks.......Have a Good Day........Donna
  3. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Ultram is straight tramadol, whereas Ultracet is tramadol cut with acetaminophen. Ultracet is stronger than Ultram.

I occassionaly take Ultram when I'm in extreme pain. At one point my doctor had advised me to take it daily for pain management. He told me not to wait until my pain got that bad. The problem was that when I first started taking it, I felt loopy. I built up a tolerance and then started taking 2. After a while, I felt no relief from 2. I stopped taking it daily and only use it when I really need it.

For a long time I refused to take any medication. I wouldn't even take Tylenol unless I had a roaring migraine. Now I am on Neurontin to control my muscle jerks and a low dosage of Zoloft to help with sleep. I only take pain medication (Ultram or Percocet) when I really need it most. Sometimes I'll take 1 Percocet, or I'll take 1 Ultram with 1 Flexeril.

I've never used Norflex, but it has the same possible side affects as Flexeril - drowsiness, dry mouth, and consitpation. You definitely want to read all instructions and information that came with the prescription so that you're aware.

Hope this helps!
    -Shoobie

Side affects? For me, Ultram just made me drowsy. The Percocet gave me anxiety, but only the first couple of times I took it.

4. SAS

SAS New Member

HI Donna,

I take Ultracet, only when I have pain affecting my sleep. It works great and I don't wake up with a narcotic hangover. I have occasionally needed it during the day, and found it doesn't make me drowsy.

Hope this helps.
    Shirley
  5. Magnolia

Magnolia New Member

I take Ultram regularly for the extreme pain I suffer on a daily basis. For those times when the pain is so bad that Ultram cannot handle it, I take one extra-strength Tylenol.
    I can't do that often because my peculiar system has a rare response to Tylenol which would cause me problems with some of my other meds if I took it regularly.

I am grateful that Ultram is readily available to me. I wouldn't be able to tolerate my situation indefinitely without the help that Ultram brings me.

Sincerely, Magnolia
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Donna:

I've been on ultracet for several months now and have not noticed any side effects. However, I have found that it is not working as well as it did. Wonder if maybe I am getting immune to it. I have called my doctor's office this morning for something stronger.

Ellen Comstock
  7. PAT

PAT New Member

I have tried several different pain meds, and I have stuck with the Ultram for the past 2 years. For a while I could night take it in the evenings because it made my mind race and I couldn't go to sleep, but, it doesn't do that anymore. In the past 2 yrs I have increased the dose. I was taking 1 at a time, now two. Most days I take 2 first thing in the morning, and 2 in the afternoon. On really bad days I will take them in the evening also. I think they work better than anything else I've tried. Haven't tried the Ultracet, but like the first reply said, it's only Ultram with Tylenol, so just add Tylenol if you need to. I don't personally like Flexiril. Makes my body feel heavy. Wish I could try a different relaxer, but have lousy insurance. Please DO NOT let your pain get intolerable before you take something! Then the meds won't do much good!! Patti G
  8. teknival

teknival New Member

I use ultram, and it is the best i've found so far. i haven't built up a tolerance for it since i was put on the maximum dose-although this has a lot to do with the acupuncture i have too, keeping my pain from getting worse.
    i now have a lot of side effects though, but they are better than the pain i'd be in otherwise. the side effects include being very forgetful, problems with my short term and long term memory, i even forget how to spell sometimes- and a bit of constipation but acupuncture chases that away.
    i had the same problem with painkillers making me go to sleep but these do not do this for me, it even keeps me awake sometimes even i am tired which can be annoying but better than making me fall asleep like the others ones did. er....i've forgotten what else***
    i have the slow release ones, i think they are probably the best ones to have++
    good luck and all the best++
  9. teknival

teknival New Member

take them with food, or else i feel ill
    the maximum does is 200mg SR, twice a day (or it might be 250mg SR twice a day)
  10. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

I have taken Ultram for pain for the last 3 1/2 years. I've tried the Ultracet at the suggestion of my Rheumy, thinking I would get better relief from the intolerable pain. It didn't do anything for me, so I was back to the Ultram. Recently, my Pharmascist talked me into trying the generic form, Tramadol, and I am here to tell you that the Pharmacist was flat wrong about there being no difference between the two. Tramadol made my headaches worse and caused some really bizarre nightmares. I also felt extremely drugged on them. I reported this to my Rheumy Tuesday and she opened my eyes to a few things. She said that there is a distinct difference between Ultram and Tramadol and Pharmacists are being rewarded by the manufacturer of Tramadol when they sway a patient to their product. She also suggested that I complain to the store manager for his suggestion, as he was looking for the prize rather than protecting the patient. I will stick to Ultram, thank you, until I have to have something stronger.

God bless, Deena
  11. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I take both of these at night before I go to bed. They do help me. I also take Trazodone before bed. Between the 3, I sleep very nicely and don't wake up too sore in the morning. Ultracet has tylenol in it. I haven't had any problems with any of these meds.

Annette2
  12. fibolady

fibolady New Member

thank you for your reply! i have been taking ultram for 3 years everyday with no problem, no increasing dosage unless really bad flare. well,

my pharmacy sent me tramadol this time instead. i have had a headache every day this month and could not figure out why i was getting so many headaches. also, i would have to take the whole 50mg tramadol to get the same pain relief as a 1/2 ultram. the tramadol cannot be split, the ultram can.

BACK TO ULTRAM and make sure next time they do not switch on me!!!!!!!!!! kind of makes me mad.

warm regards, fibolady
  13. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I cannot stand the pain I have without Ultram!!! Darvocet, Vicodin, Percocet or Oxcodone do not TOUCH the pain like this does....FOR ME! Now, I've given it to my husband who got absolutely no relief and a lot of my patients have no results. I went to my PCP today and I asked him about this....he said that it isn't known why some can tolerate this med and why many can't or why it is a lifesaver to some and like a placebo to others. I have NEVER felt this relief from any other med. I tried to stop it awhile back because I was tired of taking meds. WHAT A MISTAKE!...I was DYING with pain at work yesterday and at the very end of my rope, so I took two and BAMMMMM! it hit my system after 10 minutes and I was relieved and got a little buzz to boot! Prior to this little vacation from meds, I was taking two Ultram 3 or 4 times a day (Doc's order), Soma 3 times a day prn, Mobic 2 times a day, Vicodin as needed and my pain was controlled. I tolerated the effects just fine. At first the Ultram kept me up if I took it at bedtime, but not now. It helps me sleep now by relieving the leg pain and the restless legs, believe it or not! I'm so glad to be back on it! I haven't tried the Ultracet or the generic.....I just found out there WAS a generic today! I feel pretty good at this moment!!! Thank you Lord!
    Be well,
    Kady
  14. nje

nje New Member

I HAD TO CALL MY RHEUMY YESTERDAY AND TELL HIM I NEEDED A STRONGER PAIN-KILLER,SO HE CALLED ME IN 50MG.ULTRAM I TOOK 3YESTERDAY AND I`VE ALSO TAKEN 3 TODAY,SO FAR,NO SIDE EFFECTS,IT KILLS THE PAIN,AND I LOVE IT. I HOPE I DON`T BUILD UP A TOLERANCE TO IT LIKE I DID WITH THE WYGESIC THAT HE HAD ME ON,WHICH YOU COULD ONLY GET IN GENERIC, AND LET ME TELL YOU, DON`T EVER,EVER LET THOSE DRUGGIST OR ANYONE TELL YOU THERES NO DIFFERENCE IN GENERIC OR BRAND NAME DRUGS ESPECIALLY PAIN KILLERS,BECAUSE THERE IS A BIGGGGG DIFFERENCE IN THEM. I ALWAYS GET BRAND IN EVERYTHING I TAKE BECAUSE IF I DIDN`T IT WOULD BE LIKE TAKING AN ASPIRIN. TRUST ME,TRY ULTRAM,ITS THE BEST111!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. selma

selma New Member

I didn't know why the Ultracet worked and when I changed to Ultram and they gave me Tramadol instead it didn't work even tho I increased the dose to 100mg twice a day.

Need to speak to pharmacist? Got those headaches tooo!!!

Tanks again Folks*******

Love, Selma
  16. teach6

teach6 New Member

I take Ultram, 50 mg., 4 times a day. I have not been bothered with side effects at all. However my pharmacy switched me from Ultram to the generic the last time. I'm going to mention it to my doc.

It's interesting because I also take Florinef, which has always been filled with the name brand at the same pharmacy, but when I spoke with my mail-in pharmacy they told me they would fill it with the generic.

At this point I'm just glad to get them filled. I had an insurance mix-up this week and couldn't get my rx's for several days. I finally begged for enough Florinef to get me through to today, after being told everything was going to be taken care of yesterday.

Barbara
  17. ldramjet

ldramjet New Member

For me, ultram or ultracet doesn't do anything for my fibro/cfs. Sometimes it even makes me jittery and it tends to mess with my sleep - but my chemistry is definitely not the norm.

LoriR
  18. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I was given Ultram by my Rheumy and found that they really didn't have much of an impact at all on my pain. Now, I'm taking taking 20 mg. of Oxycontin and Percoset for breakthrough pain. That combination is working better for me, although I'm going to discuss with my doctor the next time I see him to see if he feels that I should try 40 mg. of Oxycontin because I seem to need the Percoset more than I think I should. We'll see if he feels the same way.

Re: Norflex ... I was Rx'd that and for me it was HELL in a bottle! It is a muscle relaxant, but for me it had the opposite effect. My muscles became MUCH tenser and I began having EXCRUCIATING muscle spasms ... mostly in my legs, although other sites included my abdomen, wrists, fingers and feet. I got so bad that the doctor finally put me on Baclofen for 2 mos. to try to get my muscles to "relax" (as in how they were pre-Norflex).

I have heard that some people have had good results with Norflex ... I sure wish I was one of them. The muscle relaxant that seems to work the best for me, so far, is Skelaxin ... figures, since that's a $45 copay on my Rx plan.

Hope it works well for you ...

Shiloh

19. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I take Ultram 50mg only when I can't get any relief from Aleve. The Ultram seems to work.

Arlene
  20. SaraD

SaraD New Member

were both give to me at a medical rehab doctor's office, he handed me a bagful of both and said, here play with them and call me back with what dosages you want me to prescribe. Well, I have not touched either one. I hate taking anything really. It's hard enough with the things I have to deal with but adding side effects from other drugs on top of that is not my cup of tea. I still have them all in the draw 4 months later. I don't know why but just simple ibuprofen usually helps take the edge off of my pain (mainly neck/headaches) anyway.
    Sarad