Ultram/Tramadol Any one who takes this everyday.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Aug 31, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

First of all, I'm new to the board. Have had FMS about 6 years but didn't get dx'd until 1.5 years ago. I have a very difficult time with depression along with the FMS. I am currently taking Lexapro and Desipramine with "just getting by" results. THen my doctor added Ultram, which is a pain med, but it seems to elevate my mood. Not in the sense that I am "high"....it just makes me feel normal ! I still have some really bad flares but when I feel good ....it's great! Wondering if anyone else has had this experience ? Anyone know any long term effects from taking it? Any info/stories would be helpful !!! Thank you
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Welcome!:) I take it every day and I did notice a slight mood elevation with it. Every little bit helps,huh?
    I believe Ultram is considered safe for long term use and is not a strong narcotic.
  3. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

It's wonderful to feel better. You are right every little bit helps. Eventually they add up to more relief then you ever thought possible.
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

HI!

I've been taking Ultram/Tramadol every day for about 6 years now. I still remember the 1st time I took it. My doc told me to plan a day with nothing to do, especially not driving, and see how I reacted to it.

Anyways - I spent that day with my Grandmother, God rest her soul. She was 90 years old then and she decided she was going to teach me how to make vegatable soup before she died.

I hurt so bad that day I decided to take 2 Ultram. I figured I wasn't going anywhere and it was such a little pill - what could it do?

I was high as a kite for HOURS! We had the best day tho. I got the giggles and couldn't stop. Every time I tried to stand up straight I'd tip over to the side. My Grandmother had so much fun laughing at me she was doubled over in her wheelchair.

God only knows how the soup got made. My grandmother had Alzheimers and I barely knew my own name that afternoon. My Mom came home and by that time the medication had worn off and when she said it was the best veggie soup she ever had me and my grandmother went into another giggle fit!

All these years later, I'm up to 2tab 4x a day and I use breakthrough meds when that's not enough.

~Michele

ps - if you take too much you'll get super itchy!

5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Hi,

Welcome to the board. Isn't it nice to have a place to come and ask questions and actually get good answeres.

I take Ultracet everday. When I first started taking it, I also had a good feeling. Not exactly a high, but a happy loving feeling.

Now I just feel better. It is the best for me and my pain. I usually take about 4 to 5 a day. I am only allowed to take 6 a day. I believe it is the tylenol in it that keeps me from taking more.

Again, welcome to the board, you will find it so helpful.

Jo
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

I take two 50 mg tabs every six hours. Don't often need all eight tabs in 24 hour period .... lately
    two in the am and two in the pm.

I love it. I have been taking it 1 1/2 years now.
    You are exactly right, every little bit helps. The big lift from tramadol settles down some what ... and eventually becomes a medium sized lift. It makes me feel
    better, not just pain, but overall.

I started out with ultracet. I like ultram/tramadol better. I prefer not to take tylenol as it
    never really worked for me as a pain reliever. Turns out
    the straight tramadol had a more lifting effect on me.

It doesn't stop the break through pain that I
    sometimes get .... especially during the winter, but it does make my day to day life better. It is a permanant rx
    for my CFS/FM treatment.

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2005]
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I like it.
    At first I did'nt think it was helping much with the fibro pain. So I tested myself and did'nt take any for a day(in the beginning) I hurt soooooooo much more without it! Surprized me~
    Yes,.
    I get a 'drank a pot of coffee feeling" from taking 2 at a time. I use to NEED to nap everyday but I'm finding it hard since being on Ultams cause It makes me feel sleepless. I try and lay down but I feel restless.
    Can't close my eyes or my thoughts.
    I told my Rheumy this and he said its because it works on a certain area of the brain and stimulates.
    ???? not sure what part of the brain?? I did'nt think I had any left!!LOL
    This fogginess sometimes is horrible!

Overall,... Ultram has helped me.
    I started it in Jan. this yr.
    I'm allowed up to 6 a day. I take half that.
    Hope this helps :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  8. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I take 2 a day and do get that "normal" feeling for an hour or 2, which isn't long, but when you feel this poorly any relief is welcomed. It used to last longer but guess I'm getting immune. Dr. said I could take up to 8 a day, but I hope to have childen some day and worry about the withdrawal that would be involved in getting off that many.
    I also notice a drop in mood,increase in anxiety, and increased heart rate when it's wearing off, but I keep taking it for that brief amount of relief. I'm glad you posted this because my dr. said he hadn't had others respond like I had.
  9. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Thank you to everyone who replied! I did a bit of research and ultram does effect seratonin reuptake...so now wonder we all feel a bit better when taking it!

I'm new to posting messages and I was really happy today to receive everyones thoughts.