ultram(tramadol) versus ultram extended release

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I've been taking ultram(tramadol ) for my fibro pain since June of 08 .

I've been in more pain the past couple of weeks and seem to have more breakthough
    pain .

I like the tramadol and it does work for me but it seems that sometimes it either wears off to soon or it takes to long for the next dose to start working and or I have the breakthrough pain.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the ultram(tramadol) extended release and how it worked compared to the regular ultram.

Thanks, Susan
  2. spacee

spacee Member

It sounds like a very good idea. It is harder to get pain undercontrol once the med has worn off for a lot of people.

3. ourlife

ourlife New Member

I have just recently tried the extended release after being on the regular ultram (tramadol) for 6 months. I like it better, i can tell it doesn't wear off like the other. Although neither one of them gets rid of my pain completely but the extended release keeps it to where i can stand it without wearing off.

Hope it works well for you. Keep me posted.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I would say that anyone who takes short acting meds and finds that after a while it isn't as effective should definitely look into the longer acting meds. They can make a huge difference!

You can and may still need the shorter acting meds for breakthrough pain, but it is good to have something in your system consistently as mentioned so you don't experience the peaks and valleys that come with the shorter acting.

I was hesitatant at first to go to the longer (Oxycontin), but I am so glad I succumbed. Huge difference in pain control.
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

all for your replies. I am glad to see the positive responses. My next scheduled
    appt with my doctor is not until early June but I'm highly considering making one much sooner
    than that after reading these responses.

My doctor has been open to changes or suggestions from me but I do think I'll have to go
    in for an appt since I haven't seen him since in the fall.

Another question did you all have the same types of side effects with the extended release as with the regular tramadol? And how long does the extended release usually last? Thanks again[This Message was Edited on 03/26/2009]
  6. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

is prescribe for one time a day suppose to last 24 hours. I still need to take vicodin every 6 hours and i am on highest dose of that. I wish that all i needed to take was the ulram but i am still in so much pain. The ulram er is alot more expensive even paying my co-pay. Everyone is different so you just have to try and see what works for you! I started it because of the breakthrough pain with the regular and keeping up with all the pills throughout the day is a job itself. Good luck!
  7. italiano

italiano New Member

Everyone. it is just so comforting to know i am not alone in all this pain. Does anyone else get palpitations with it or tingling in head? I don't want to stop it because it has been the only thing that takes the edge off the pain. How long the the ER last? I see one of you takes lexapro and ultram. i just started regular ultram and am on lexapro so is that ok do you think without getting overload? has it affected anyone's sleep? I am learning so much with you all...it's been life saving.
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Talk with your doctor about taking ibuprofen in the afternoon. That helps me ... 600 mg. Also, see about taking Lyrica in the evening. That helps the pain and when you take the extended release in the AM, the Lyrica seems to help extend relief from pain.

I take the ER tab along with Neurontin 400 mg in AM and then the ibuprofen 600 mg in afternoon, and then the Lyrica in the PM before bed. This regimen has seemed to help me.

Don't know if we will ever be totally pain-free, but lessening the pain to a livable level should be the goal. Good luck with your regimen.
  9. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Anything I have tried for this DD has been eventually switched to extended release. I prefer the comfort of knowing my meds will last all day and I won't have to carry things with me when I go out.

Also breakthrough pain terrified me so I always tried to get things that had ER as an option. Ultram ER was much better for me then just Ultram. But as everyone else has mentioned, each person is different. Good luck to you!

10. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I take the Ultram 200 extended release, and 10mg of Lexapro and I am ok. I also take 75mg Lyrica 2 times a day and Topamax 25mg 2 times a day. My rhuemy told me that Lexapro and Ultram can cause seizures at higher doses, but not at this low of a dose.

Hope it works for you,
    soft hugs
  11. italiano

italiano New Member

thank you for that comment. i feel better knowing someone else out there is on the same meds. it gets scary in this world!