Ultram?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by solargirl451, Dec 5, 2002.

1. solargirl451

solargirl451 New Member

Hello!
    Anyone out there being prescribed Ultram for their pain? If so, how much and how frequently? Also, anyone out there on anything stronger? Just wondering, because my doc is giving me a hard time about taking one Ultram a day for the pain I have. He said that it was a "poor" choice and can become addicting. Any thoughts on this?
  2. solargirl451

solargirl451 New Member

Hello!
    Anyone out there being prescribed Ultram for their pain? If so, how much and how frequently? Also, anyone out there on anything stronger? Just wondering, because my doc is giving me a hard time about taking one Ultram a day for the pain I have. He said that it was a "poor" choice and can become addicting. Any thoughts on this?
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hi and welcome to the board!!!!!
    Why don't you click on the "search messages" and type in "Ultram" because we have discussed this med. at length as MANY of us take/have taken it. One a day is nearly useless IMHO as I took two four times a day before I started the Oxy. Read about addictions and chronic pain, too. Your doc is practicing midievil medicine......BUT,
    WELCOME! Nice to meet you and I hope you'll stick around!!
    Love,
    Kady
  4. solargirl451

solargirl451 New Member

Thanks for such a warm welcome, I really appreciate it! I have been receiving the e-mailings from Immune Support for quite sometime now, but never felt the need to post a message until this evening after returning from my internist's office. The sad thing is, that my rheumatologist also feels the same. I probably shouldn't say this but, I go to the Cleveland Clinic and all the computers are networked so the docs can read each others progress notes on their patients. So both are reading each others notes concerning my complaints of pain. I feel sad and betrayed. My doc agreed to refill my Ultram for one more month along with one more refill of my Robaxin 750mg, (mild muscle relaxant) and then he prescribed Trazadone 50mg for me to take at bedtime. I have never been on Trazadone before, so I hope it helps me. I have usually taken Benadryl or Melatonin I will get the prescription filled tommorrow and try it. I will do as you said and search and read past postings on Ultram. Thank you much! ~~Cynthia~~
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  5. selma

selma New Member

I take ultram 2 3x a day.=300mg & ttook x-tylenol 1000mg
    3x a day too. My liver panel came back high so cut down on tylenol but have more pain taking 1 3x a day.
    Soo don't know if Ultram works or not.
    Bring info that you find to Dr..
    Love, Selma
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I also take Ultram. At first I was also only taking one a day and it was awful. You will do much better when you have it in your system around the clock. I take 50 mg 4 times a day. Sometimes I need a little something more, but I can usually get by with heat at those times. This crazy winter storm and all the cold weather is really getting to me though!

I would suggest that it is time for you to look for another doctor. You can go to the top of the page and click on Doctor Referral. It will bring you to a list of things bulleted at the top of the page. The last one is Co-Cure Good Doc list. Click on there and go to your state. I'm pretty sure there are several in the Cleveland area.

Barbara
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Solargirl, just stopped to welcome you to the board. I don't take ULtram, but you will meet a lot of others that do.

Again, a big welcome to you!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. sheri

sheri New Member

I was pescribed ultracet last July for fractured wrist pain, that is part ultram and tylenol, mostly tylenol. My md. said the pain clinics send her patients for ultracet. she prescribed one or two ever six hours, I usually take one in the evening. I have heard they are addictive also.
    They do help the costochondritis and the miriad of other twinges, pains, etc...I do know(according to md's) that it is non-narcotic..I wonder about the amount of tylenol and liver also. Just had liver profile checked and it was ok, but things change fast, so I don't take as much as prescribed, actually, I could take two at a time, but as long as I can hold out at one,I hope to do just that.
    I haven't looked up ultram, but think I will. blessings, sheri
  9. rlh1961

rlh1961 New Member

HI--My doctor has had me on Ultram for 4 months. I can take up to 4 per day. I usually take 2 however. I've not been told by any of my docs that Ultram is addictive. I have Fibro with osteoarthritis and a host of other problems. I take 3,000 mg (10 per day spaced over morning/noon/supper/bedtime) of Neurontin per day to help with pain. Also, 300 mg of Effexor for depression & to help with pain. I hope this helps in some way.
  10. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi-

I'm taking Ultracet. Helps with the pain when aspirin or Ibuprofin wont't do much for me.

It can make me itchy and constipated if I take 2 at a time a lot. It really helps when the pain levels get so out of hand that I wonder how I'll make it.

And it does give me a little bit of a 'drugged' feeling when I take it, but at least the pain diminishes.

I'm trying not to take too many over tiime, because of potential liver problems associated with pain meds, etc. but I do what I have to do for pain.

Paul
  11. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I also take Ultracet. I was taking Ultram, but it didn't help very much. So my doctor prescribed Ultracet. I take it on an as-needed basis. I never heard it was addicting. I don't take more than 2 a day, if at all. Since it's part Tylenol, you would have to periodically have your liver checked. Good luck!

Annette2
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I read your profile and noticed your musical preferences. My husband and I also like those artists - we have a Nick Drake album - I don't know anyone who has his stuff. Nice to meet you.

Annette2
  13. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have been taking Trazadone for a few years now. I take it at bedtime to help me sleep. It helps a lot! At first I would wake up drowsy, but that wore off after a while and now I don't notice any side effects. Hope it works for you!

Annette2
  14. maleficent4310

maleficent4310 New Member

I have tried so many now that did not help, I was so glad to get the Ultram (I use the genaric for the price though). I am told to take them 50 mg every 4-6 hrs for the pain, but knowing that it can be habit forming, I only take it on really bad days, or as I need it. Here latly I seem to need it all the time though. I am not sure if my dosage is strong enough for me. There are so many pain relievers out there right now, and many of them can be habit forming. If I were you, I would try some others first to see if they work for you. Everyone is different, so you really need to try them for yourself and see how they do you. Good luck in the search for some kind of relief. Welcome to the board!
    Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2002]
  15. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I take Ultram 50 mgs. Three times daily.
    I also take Vicodin for break through pain--

Medications are not addicting. 1% of patients in chronic pain become addicted---these ARE addictive personalities. Medications can cause physical dependence, that is easily dealt with by cutting back for a short period of time, and then the dose will be effective again, or changing meds. Someone in chronic, pain should not be witheld medications due to a fear of addiction. The stats do not warrant this.
    I would find a Doc who is willing to manage your pain.
    Karen
  16. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi-

I read your post as I was scanning Ultracet posts. and just saw it there... :) I hope I don't miss other posts because I don't always check these boards daily.

Nick Drake is great, isn't he? Do you have the one with Pink Moon on it? Or Fruit Tree?

He put out 3 or 4 albums before he died at around age 23 or so from an overdose or ? of pills at his mothers house.
    A is a treasure that most people have never heard of.

Take care :)-- and may I make a suggestion? Go out and get Donovan "Sutras". New material released a few years ago. Good listening for FM and CFS'ers and for the whole family!

Paul

Paul
  17. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I love it! I take 50mg 4 times a day, sometimes less if it's a good day. It took about 2-3 weeks for it to build up in my system, so I took 1/2 of 350mg Soma to get me through(which I still take occasionally for my flare-ups). Originally I was taking Tramadol (this is the generic). I found that this contributed to my headaches. Once I made the switch to Ultram, I have been better. I still have headaches, but not so severe, and it really helps with my body pain. As far as it being addictive, I've not heard nor read that anywhere. I guess everything can be addicting if used improperly.

Hope this helps! Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2002]