ULTRAM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeachWalkr, Sep 2, 2003.

1. BeachWalkr

BeachWalkr New Member

My doctor just put me on Ultram 50 mg and said I can take up to 8 x day for my pain.. does anyone have info on this med? Info will be greatly appreciated!

God bless & sleep well everyone.. :)
    Sue in FL
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Sue, welcome to the board. Can't help with Ultram, but just wanted to welcome you to the board.

Others here do take this med and will be glad to share their experience with you soon.

Again, welcome to the board.........

Shalom, Shirl
  3. BeachWalkr

BeachWalkr New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Shirl.. and thanks, also, to all other welcome "posters". I'm happy to have found y'all.. I sit here as long as my body allows and read and read all the posts.. very informative and lots of good ideas on how better to deal with my fibro etc. I was diagnosed way back 23 yrs ago and back then there wasn't much info.. in fact, it wasn't even called fibromyalgia.. my doctor called it muscular skeletal disease. Many physicians & my family thought it was "all in my head"! I knew it was real. Thank God we've come a long way since then.. I feel validated now. Here's to a brighter pain free future for all of us!! Sue
  4. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I take ultram, too. It works very well for me. My doctor told me it is not a narcotic, but it kind of is like that - but it's not addictive. Anyway, I had to switch to it from ibuprofin because of stomach problems. So far, I've been very happy with it.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2003]
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

Hi Sue,
    I had a doctor prescribe Ultram for me on the first visit ... when I wasn't really complaining about constant pain. When I did take it, I found that it took FOREVER to start working, but it did give me some relief. Ultracet works a little longer and a little faster for me.

I don't really like to take pain meds any more than I have to, so I can't speak to it being habit-forming or addictive. I'm sure others here can help you with that.

I was diagnosed with fibro "way back when" too -- in l982, when they called it fibrositis and didn't really know what to do with it. I guess things have improved ??!!

Jan ^v^

6. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

Hi, Sue. Welcome to the board. :)

My husband was prescribed Ultram just a couple of weeks ago for his shoulder. It's not a narcotic and is not addictive. Also has fewer side effects with long-term use. The 8x a day seems a bit much, but the 50 mg dose is lower, so that should be okay.

Cheryll
  7. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Beachwalker - I take Ultram 50 mg too, but doc said one every six hours. Also, if you take one tylenol 325 mg. with it - you will have Ultracet :)
    Also, Sue in FL[This Message was Edited on 09/03/2003]
  8. starstella

starstella New Member

of course, everyone has different responses to medication. IMO, ultram can be very effective and is not classified as a controlled substance which makes getting prescriptions easier. the maximum dose is 400 mg as day (eight 50 mg tabs). your are not supposed to take any more frequently than every 4 hours. I wonder if your doc meant you could take up to eight pills a day (two tabs 4 times a day).
    it does take up to two hours to get maximum effect from the ultram. it can also keep you awake at night if you take it close to bedtime (until you get used to it). ultram combined with tylenol (acetaminophen) is ultracet.
    i have also read that some people get the best results with ultram if it is used on a regular basis (those who suffer from chronic muscular pain).
  9. BeachWalkr

BeachWalkr New Member

Hi Sue.. thanks for the added info on tylenol & ultracet. Where in FL are you? I'm in Satellite Beach. Sue
  10. BeachWalkr

BeachWalkr New Member

My doc just said I could take 1 or 2 pills at once but no more than 8 a day.. I'll probably have to take it regularly for a while because I'm in such pain around my ribs, middle chest & back area. The ultram I took today didn't touch the pain. I hope when I get a few more in my system I'll get some relief.
    Thank you for posting.. I appreciate the info! :) Sue
  11. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I'm in Dunedin - next to Clearwater :)
  12. achy

achy New Member

Hey..I'm in Fla too! Pensacola now, but I used to live in dunedin..went to dunedin jr high and high school!!

As far as the ultram...It beats tylenol and that's about the best I can say for it. I take it on my good days just so I don't take my oxycodone too often. The ultram works best if you take it regularly so the same doseage stays in your system, It's earier to maintain pain relief than to wait until your really hurting and then take someting.
    Ultracet is ultram wiht acetaminophen..supposed to work better, but the daily dose of acet. is bad for your gut. What i do is take my ultram about 8:00PM, and take a tylenol arthritis strength siht it. It helps the pain overnight so I sleep better. Bus as posted before, do not take more that 8 tablets a day...it raises the seizure threshold. AND there are new studies coming out that say it CAN be addictive. Ultram is supposed to mimic a opiod in the brain. so, think about it..if your brain thinks your taking an opiod, and they are addictive....But who knows.

If it works for you that;s great!
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  13. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

8 pills a day is the maximum. It's suppose to be as effective as a narcotic without some of the side effects. I also take 2 Bextra a day. This drug is in the same catagory as Vioxx, Celebrex and Mobic. These meds hold me, but if I do any activity, I pay with more pain.
  14. BeachWalkr

BeachWalkr New Member

Wow there are several of us here in the sunshine state! I moved here from IN 5 yrs ago and can honestly say I don't miss the north at all.. especially cold weather & SNOW!

I'm in Satellite Beach just below Cocoa Beach. I live right on A1A across the street from the ocean. Love it here!

I'm trying 2 or 3 ultram a day to start.. to see if I can get some relief that way and not just load up on them at first. So far it's helping some.. at least I can tell I'm taking pain med. Also, I found that heat applied to my ribs helps a ton! My daughter bought me one of those spa things for the tub and I use the hottest water I can stand and stay in the tub as long as I can. I always feel great when I first get out of the spa thing, but within an hour or so it's right back to the same old same old. Sorta like hot shower relief.. fleeting!

I'm going to try adding the tylenol with the ultram like many of you have suggested. Thanks!!!
    Sue
  15. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

My MD gave me Ultram a while back, and the first night I took it i felt great. I took it in the morning on my way to work, and after sitting at my desk for a little while I got so dizzy and nauseated. I actually ended up vomiting! It was terrible. So i haven't taken it since. I wish you luck with it!
    Nay