"ULTRAMETABOLISM" by Dr. Hyman...suppose to cure CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Butterfly_of_grace, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

I saw this on the news today...this gentleman claims to have found a "cure" for CFS. Im not sure if I typed his name the right way Im going by my brain-fogged memory right now. Anyway, he claims he had CFS and it was ruining his life and he came up with this theory and has cured many of CFS.
    I was wondering if anyone heard of this? read this book? and if it helped them. There was a woman on the news who said she was getting sicker and sicker and Docs didnt know what was wrong with her. They eventually diagnosed her with CFS. Her mother sent her to this Doctor who wrote this book "Ultrametabolism" and now shes "cured". It has to do with genetics, proper whole foods and avoiding anything with additives. But to me this just sounds like another theory off the idea of eating well and eating natural foods and whole foods that we all have been hearing about for yrs.
    IN FACT, at my new job the chiroprator Im working for believes the bodys way of healing is not thru prescriptions and chemicals but whole foods and staying away from white flours (over processed wheat flours), sugars, pre-packaged foods etc. He holds seminars for the program "Body by God" which to me is the same theory this Doc I saw on TV was talking about. He talks about avoiding anything that is unnatural, etc. Im actually enjoying learning alot at this new job but I dont think its a fix-it - cure-all. I do believe you can feel somewhat better if you avoid the "bad stuff" but again I dont believe it to "cure and precent cancers" either. My step-dad was the healthiest man on the planet, at age 70 he still played tennis twice a week, played golf, worked full time as a lawyer, NEVER ate ANYTHING processed, had alot of faith in God and was a happy stree-free man. Why then did he die of Cancer? he had Lung cancer then went into a 5 yr remission only to have it in his bones and die a horrible death. SO I find it very hard to believe that these are all cure-alls (shhhh dont tell my new boss LOL...Ill lose my job if he knew I didnt believe his theory was a cure all live a long life with no disease thing)

Is there really truly a "CURE" for Fibro and CFS? or is this just another scam ya think?

We all know that eating healthier can make you "feel" better but I truly dont believe its a cure all. I believe certain things ARE genetic and certain things you cant help. Its the circle of life...who are we to play God and say that WE (meaning Doctors etc.) have come up with a theory to cure it all and fix it forever attitude. Alot of it is in Gods hands dont ya think? I mean we can do just so much to help ourselves by eating right, trying to keep the stress down, get rest and exercise every day...but its not going to stop cancer or illnesses.Im very skepticle and very reluctant to believe people like this Dr. becuase if it were "THAT SIMPLE" then we ALL would be back to 100% normal wouldnt we? or maybe Im wrong?! who knows....

Opinions appreciated. Thanks all <<<HUGS>>>
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  2. kbak

kbak Member

There are many people out there just waiting to cash in on our misery. Not that eating right isn't a good idea, it is. But it gets so old, the $19.95 cure.

kbak
  3. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

My understanding of cfs is that there is a genetic component(s) to cfs but that the specific gene(s) has to express iteself inorder to make the body develop cfs. What makes the gene express itself is related to the threshold of insults the body can take. This will vary in each of us according to different environmental & genetic differences.

THe good thing about how these differences play out is that some of us will be able to go into remission and or our bodies will heal themselves. How the healing takes place can be purposely discovered,occur by chance or result from a combination of these 2 things.

A person who has all their mercury fillings removed may go into remission whereas another person won't. The mercury may not be the cause but tipped the scale to create and allow further healing. Maybe for the one that didn't show improvement mercury was not an issue, or there is much more than mercury holding the body back. Stress alone can completely do a body in, or a very weakened immune system plagued by pathogens can prevent healing.

Another ex: Person A & B. Person A -is a female with cfs, eats a good diet and walks 2 miles 3x per week. This person has low estrogen, very low testosterone, enzyme and gastrointestinal difficiencies and is sensitive to many meds & supplements.
    Female B who has cfs has None of the above complications and can digest rocks and take any med or supplements presented.

Both women read that juicing, antivirals and a recently found herb from an obscure island cures cfs. If this were in fact true we would all know that both women might not acheive the goal at the same time or at all. Person A may have to spend 5 years of juicing, detoxing and hormone therapy just to be able to take the antiviral or the herb. Person B does it all and joins the working force in a month and swears by the cure.

If I read about a cure-all I too will question it. THere are so many differences in each of our bodies.

In regards to antivirals they can prevent relapses but are not cures for everything like HIV or herpes. Insulin for diabetics does not cure the diabetes. Will the cure erase any heart or brain damage done by this dd?

I remain hopeful and try to improve my lifestyle with as much natural stuff as possible. I certainly don't want to suffer more than I do and if something beneficial comes around I want to be in a state of health that allows my body to do well with it.

Thank you for your post. It helped me think which is a big accomplishment in itself.
    ruby
  4. ulala

ulala New Member

there are things that can put you into remission if you continue to follow them.

If you read the posts by matn she has put herself into remission by eating ony whole foods, mostly organic. She is very strict with her diet and if she falls off she feels sick again. She says she can now play tennis for four hours a day.

It's not a cure but you can get back to where you were if you can find what will put you in remission AND stick with it.
  5. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

a lot of people will try and convince us that we have more control over our health than we really do. As if there is something profoundly 'unnatural' about being sick and if we just straighten ourselves out we'll become well. Not true, in my opinion! Illness is a part of the 'human condition', a normal part of life really (no matter how much that scares us!) Noone *likes* to be sick, though, hence the huge market for diets, etc, to make it go away.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  6. Butterfly_of_grace

I have been thinking alot once again (too much as usual) after reading these posts and really thinking about things.
    Im so tired of people blaming "us" on something "we" did wrong for our poor health. Isnt that the case dont you think? The guilt factor...making you desperately search for the magic potion to cure what YOU(WE) have made happen.
    AS I type this Im sitting here, before work, which will once again be hours on my feet with no rest iun between, in AGONY, pooped from the insomnia and feeling like that darn truck came along and hit me wondering what I DID WRONG to feel SO BAD.

SHEESH...now wonder I live in such guilt LOL. Thanks for your responses.

Oh and whole foods are just non-processed foods like fresh fruits, veggys, whole grains etc without dyes, additives, white flours(because thats processed flour), sugars etc.

7. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I know I feel a lot 'better' when I eat whole foods, in the sense that I feel sort of lighter, fresher, & more 'vitaminized'. I think it's because being sick makes me very sensitive to what I eat... when in remission I could eat junk food and not notice a difference. However, there is big difference between feeling 'fresh-er' and actually having an improvement in my CFS. I have been on a gazillion diets to 'cure' CFS and not one has had any impact at all, ie. none has given me any more real energy.
  8. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Changing my diet did help some of my FM/CFS symptoms, but I smell a SCAM here..

- julie (is free!)

If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.

- Various
  9. Butterfly_of_grace

I agree with eating right and avoiding the additives and such if you can. I know if I "tried" hard enough I could. Ya htink I would knowing I feel crappy 100% of the time lately.

I also agree with Carla...RESULTS FIRST THEN THEY CAN HAVE THEIR MONEY.
  10. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Hi All,
    Mark Hyman M.D., gave a week long workshop on his research, and solutions for many conditions. Kripalu is in Lenox, MA. It is a Yoga type program center. All food is organic, there is a supporting community. You would pay a fee for the program, and a fee for the 5 nights of lodging, meals, Yoga, and use of all of the facility. All came in under $ 900. A good deal even without the program, which is priceless. www. kripalu.org
    I attended the Oct. 2006 program. There is another program in Jan 2007. I felt it was worth it... no question was left unanswered. He also had his nutritionist, Kathie Swift in the program also. It made a big difference. Good support...
    You have the option of making an appt. with Hyman, or one of his assoc. for a later date.
    I had my intake appt. this week ( 10/2) at Hyman's office. It was thorough, and informative. We did alot of targeted lab tests which will take some time to come back. I have been to all the "top guns" in CFIDS. I have learned from them all. The Hyman practice seems to take all prior testing and hypothesis to the next levels.

I have no pony in this race... I look forward to my next appt. to get the results...

dvdav
  11. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I saw him in the middle of the night on a PBS fundraiser. I was very impressed and made a note to get the book (which I have not yet done).

"ultrametabolism" -- meaning speeding up the metabolism, or one might say producing more energy on a cellular level, seems to me like something everyone with this DD could use. Many researcher believe that there may be a problem with the mitochondria in the cells in people with CFS. The mitochondria is where the energy comes from . . .

On a less technical level, every single one of us has one thing in common -- not enough energy.

True we've all heard of these "speed up the metabolism" diets to lose weight for years but in the case of CFS it seems like a great idea. What's new about his theories is that all the science is totally up to the minute. He's a really bright, knowledgable man. I am happy to hear he is involved with this yoga organization.

I would love to hear follow up reports from the person who is actually seeing him.

Best wishes

12. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Loise says, "On a less technical level, every single one of us has one thing in common -- not enough energy."

May I add to that - not enough oxygen?

To the question, is there a cure, I think the answer is 'it depends on the cause'.

There should be a cure for CFS caused by a persistent virus or bacteria, but if someone's fibro is caused by kidney damage then (short of a transplant) a lifetiome on guaifenesin mamy be the answer.

My diagnosis is that I have chronic fatigue with pain, not the same thing as CFS. And after each time that I get hyperbaric oxygen therapy I feel better, so my conclusion is that I don't get enough oxygen normally. Since oxygen kills viruses and bacteria (when it can come in contact with them), then I conclude that the cause of my chronic fatigue is an underlying infection.

13. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I am speculating but I think one of the reasons whole food diets may help is because they are less of a burden on our detox systems, freeing up glutathione (teh body's master antioxidant) to remove the toxins from stealth viruses or bacterial infections.

I think they also provide enzymes and other needed sustenance for our bodies.. more bioavailable nutrients..

But I thnk the detox thing might be important. Sherry Roger's book gave me this idea.

Anyhow, I saw the PBS special with HYman and it made sense to me.. although it seems pretty standard alt med stuff...

so David, I would be interested to see what progress you make with him, and I would be v. interested to learn what tests he orders.

Please keep us informed.
    best
    delia