Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Evadyl, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody as any experience with the above therapy. I went to my doctor this morning (the only one in Ireland who deals with CFS). He has recently started this therapy at his practice and has seen some promising results.

He gave me some stuff to read about it before I make my decision whether to try it or not. Apparently it involves taking the blood from the body using a tube exposing it to ultra violet light and then returning it to the body. It was used years ago before the introduction of antibiotics.

At this stage I am willing to try anything but would like to hear of others experience with this treatment, good or bad.

Hope everyone is as good as possible today,

Take care

Love Evadyl x
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Evadyl:

I heard something about that a while back. I was intrigued by it. It sounded like a really innovative way to help the blood, and of course: fibro.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

nyrofan
  3. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Evadyl,

I had experience with this a few years ago. The protocol I had was called photophoresis. Besides having the blood exposed to ultraviolet radiation, it was also exposed to ozone. The main objective (if I remember correctly) was to reduce the pathogenic load in the body. Apparently, many people with AIDs were able to get remarkable results using this protocol.

I found the experience to be helpful, but only temporary. I could begin to feel immensely better while I was doing the 30-minute procedure, and sometimes for a day or two afterward. I did these weekly for a couple of months, but it didn’t seem to be addressing the root of my problem. My understanding was that AIDs patients had to use it daily to get their beneficial results.

When I found out how much Medicare was being charged for these treatments ($320), I stopped immediately. I’m not sure if Medicare still covers it, as it was considered experimental at the time. I had figured out by then that it was only giving me temporary relief, and I didn’t feel I had the right to have taxpayers foot this bill.

I found a medical supply company online that sold the very machine that was being used on me. I think I remember it running around $1,100. I seriously considered trying to get one for my own personal use, but decided against it at the time. Your bringing up this subject makes me realize however that I never totally dismissed the idea. I can see where using this daily could help in a way that once a week use couldn't.

As I read about the anti-viral protocols on this board, I can’t help wonder if this type of therapy (ultraviolet radiation, ozone) could be just as or more effective if done on a daily basis without some of the risks of doing the AV drugs. In the book “Flooding Your Body with Oxygen”, author Ed McCabe described this machine, and how a new generation of this could potentially revolutionize health care delivery. The new machine he described did the very same thing, but the patient was also hooked up to kidney dialysis at the same time. So instead of having to stop at 30 minutes to prevent a toxic overload, it could be done for much longer periods (hours) without the worry of overwhelming herxing reactions. Made a lot of sense to me.

What I did at the time was start using a product called OxyMune. It’s a small bottle (1 ounce) of a liquid that creates ozone in the body. One ounce lasts about a month. It usually sells for $20-30 online, but I was able to find a wholesale price of $10 / bottle. I and some friends of mine use it regularly and feel it is a very good, inexpensive supplement. I probably get as much, and possibly more benefit from this supplement than I did from the very expensive photophoresis.

I would say there is probably very good potential with this therapy. Whether it’s a good option would depend on your circumstances. How difficult is it to get to the location, how often would it need to be done, and of course, how much it would cost.

Best, Wayne[This Message was Edited on 04/23/2007]