Umeboshi - Japanese pickled plums

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Robbie Swinnerton writes ““Japanese pickled plums have remarkable medicinal qualities. Their powerful acidity has a paradoxical alkalinizing effect on the body, neutralising fatigue, stimulating the digestion, and promoting the elimination of toxins. This is the Far Eastern equivalent to both aspirin and apple; not only is it a potent hangover remedy for mornings after; more than that, an umeboshi a day is regarded as the best preventive medicine available.”

There’s an article and recipes using Umeboshi on the Clearspring UK based website as published in “Food Integrity, The Journal of Food Quality” Winter 2001-2002. This article cannot be reproduced without the permission of the Author, so I have not C & P it here.
  2. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I hear they taste icky. :p
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A friend recommended umeboshi when I was sick with some virus. It came in a puree at the health food store. It's on the expensive side, and I don't know if it helped. I didn't notice any great benefits. Perhaps one has to take it for a long time, but that was too expensive.

I think you can buy the whole plums, it would probably be cheaper, and they are supposed to be very alkalinizing. They didn't have these at the health food store -- you'd probably have to go to a specialty Oriental foods store, or order them on-line.

Mary
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

in the UK either, though as always costs more than in the US.

Thanks for posting this info Stormyskye.

My son's father lived and worked in Tokyo for a few years. He loved the local food and was convinced he was healthier as a result of eating a Japanese version of the high protein/low carbs diet that his company's doctor had put him on 6 months before moving to Japan. He still buys and eats a lot of Japanese foods even though he is back in the UK.

I have not tried umeboshi myself so cannot comment on the taste or its effectiveness.

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2005]
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

I stopped at the "Whole Foods" store and saw these and thought they looked interesting. That was during my "eye proceedure" in city,so I can't go back right away and check them out again. It is nice to have information on what tey are used for.

I DID wonder,as they were expensive! Thanks everyone! Daneen