Unable to wake up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Jan 7, 2009.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

This has just started happening to me since I got home for winter break, but I'm finding myself UNABLE to get up in the morning, and I can't figure out why.

At school, all I have to do is set an alarm, and as long as I keep my alarm clock across the room, as soon as I actually get up to turn it off, I'm awake and don't have any trouble staying that way.

Now, since I've gotten home, I'll set my alarm but I CAN'T WAKE UP. I'll keep turning it off for an hour or more, so sometimes I'm getting 11 hours of sleep, which is really, really unhealthy.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's because I usually get under 8 hours of sleep at school, and never seem to have a problem with it. I've noticed that I feel worse if I get more than 8.5 or so hours of sleep at night, and I haven't gotten less than 10 since I got here.

I'm also not taking any medication for sleep. I've had pretty bad insomnia since I got sick, and I used to take lunesta, but I didn't like it much, and when I was put on serax and found that it put me right to sleep, I didn't need the lunesta anymore. I eventually got off serax and the dosage of lamictal I was on was enough, but due to lack of communication between doctors, my dosage got lowered again, so I'm getting migraines (what the lamictal's for) and having a hard time sleeping some nights (rarely get to sleep before 1, sometimes not until 4 or 5am).

I just can't figure out why I can't wake up in the morning. I've tried setting the alarm so I only get 9 hours of sleep but it doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You may be sleep deprived and are catching up on sleep. Although I do not know if your body really does that. Is it really unhealthy to sleep that long?

Maybe someone can answer this.

When I went off Trazodone for sleep, I found I was sleeping more. However, if I take a very low dose, 25 mg., I sleep less and do not get that hangover feeling when waking up. I still sleep too much but feel this dosage is giving me the sleep that I need.

Good luck.