unable to wear certain fabrics... anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by BethM, Jul 7, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm not sure if this is fibro related, or if it's just a peculiarity of mine. I cannot wear synthetic fibers. Rayon, acrylic, 100% polyester, etc, make my skin turn red and I begin to heat up and sweat. I can wear cotton/polyester blends, long as it's mostly cotton, and I can wear rayon skirts, but not tops. Also, and this is truly wierd, knobby silk fabric smells bad to me, like rotten fish. I can smell a rack of them at the store 2 racks away. yuck.

Problem is, my niece is getting married New Year's Eve, a big formal wedding, and Aunt Beth is expected to dress up for the occasion. All the pretty dressy things are made of the synthetics I cannot wear. No such thing as a dressy dress in cotton, that I can find, anyway. Silk is ok in small amounts, can't enclose my whole body in it as I feel like I'm cooking.

Help??? Any suggestions? I figure I better start looking now!

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. mrsfourpaws

mrsfourpaws New Member

Lord thank you Beth, i thought it was just me , but I
    also have this problem, but mine is worse, i can not sleep on syn. sheets, and all t-shirts have to be atleast 70% cotton
    or i itch under my arms so bad i get a rash, anyone else?
    Ethel
  3. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

Hi - My skin doesn't get red from synthetics, but I do feel uncomfortable in many synthetic fabrics. I don't like their feel, especially nylon. So I only wear 100% cotton fabrics, and occasionally silk. Like you, I've found that some silk fabrics, especially the knit silks from China and sometimes from other countries, have a very strong smell. Smooth or brushed silk is usually okay. I noticed this smell on knit silks beginning about five or six years ago. I have washed such silks a few times in an effort to get the smell out, but the smell did not come out. Since that experience, I never bought any silk product that smells when it's in the store. I wonder what chemical the manufacturer is putting on these silks. I'd heard some fabrics are sprayed with formaldehyde, but I think whatever is being put on some silks, especially knit silks from China, is different.
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

Cotton velvet, or velour maybe, why didn't I think of that?? I'll bet Coldwater Creek will have something in their winter catalog. whew. Thanks.

I'm so glad someone else notices the smell from some silks. I've asked friends and family and they look at me like I'm looney. Not looney, just a fibromite. sigh.

sweet dreams, all,
    Beth.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have the same problem. For that wedding, why not have a dress/gown made? There are some beautiful patterns and fabrics in the velveteen (which is all cotton), or you can have something in silk lined in a fine batiste (fine cotton, like they used to make infant clothes from). That is what I do when I have a special occasion.

Linen or silk are a good choice too, any of them can be lined so that what is touching your skin won't be irritating.

All that acrylic and chemical made fabrics make me itch and give me a sinus attack.

I used to make all my daughters and my own clothes, but my back won't let me anymore.
    I did many wedding gowns, and the whole wedding parties, and costumes for Madi Gras in New Orleans, when you say 'clothes' my antennas go up :)

I sure miss all my sewing and designing clothes and costumes.

You have time till January, so go find what you want made now, so you won't have to rush at the last minute.

Good luck and let us know what you do get.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I know exactly how you feel. I am very sensative to clothes too. Mine are mostly all cotton or silk. I can't even wear a pair of jeans in my own size due to this. I had to buy an evening gown for a cruise to the Bahama's we took and i went with one that had all silk lining inside. It worked quite well but it was just the evening dinner party thing. I think Shirl had a great idea though and with it being in january velvet would be apporpiate.
    best of luck and your not alone with this.
    Love,Joannie
  7. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

I never associated my fabric intolerance to FM! If it is not all cotton I roast in it. The more synthetic content the more I roast. Can't stand the way it feels next to my skin. Sheets and pillow cases MUST be all cotton. Can't sleep on anything else, will sweat and itch and don't even want to touch them. And yes, I can smell certain fabrics and hate the way they smell!! Again, thought I was just strange. Can smell the polyester fiber fill in a chair throw and do not like it. The smell of carpeting is adverse to me..... guess I could go on and on now that I am really thinking about it! lol I will burn an all natural incense to cover up the smells!

lonewolf

8. BethM

BethM New Member

Shirl, thanks, I hadn't thought of a cotton lining for a dress, or of having one made. I certainly couldn't create it myself... I admire your talents as a seamstress!

I have a friend who wears her clothing inside-out, because the seams irritate her skin. Far as I know she doesn't have FMS, so it's not just us!

The smell of some fabrics, new carpets, new cars, automobile tires, paint, all make me ill. Formaldehyde? Other chemicals? I dread replacing our carpets, which will have to happen in the next few years. We're thinking of sheet linoleum and throw rugs in natural fabrics to top the flooring. Didn't bother me when we had the flooring put in that we have now. It's so much fun being hypersensitive!

Beth.