Unbelievable Morgellons Disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, May 12, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This sounds like science fiction!!!!!

There is a infection popping up in S. Texas, CA and Florida called Morgellons. At the end of this article they say the only known connection is more than half the people have Lyme Disease!

This is a sickening illness infection so you might not want to read this.....

Doctors puzzled over bizarre infection surfacing in South Texas

Web Posted: 05/12/2006 10:51 AM CDT
    Deborah Knapp
    KENS 5 Eyewitness News

If diseases like AIDS and bird flu scare you, wait until you hear what's next. Doctors are trying to find out what is causing a bizarre and mysterious infection that's surfaced in South Texas.

Morgellons disease is not yet known to kill, but if you were to get it, you might wish you were dead, as the symptoms are horrible.

"These people will have like beads of sweat but it's black, black and tarry," said Ginger Savely, a nurse practioner in Austin who treats a majority of these patients.

Patients get lesions that never heal.

"Sometimes little black specks that come out of the lesions and sometimes little fibers," said Stephanie Bailey, Morgellons patient.

Web extra
    • Exclusive interview: Ginger Savely talks more on Morgellons
    Web extra
    • Morgellons Research Foundation

Patients say that's the worst symptom — strange fibers that pop out of your skin in different colors.

"He'd have attacks and fibers would come out of his hands and fingers, white, black and sometimes red. Very, very painful," said Lisa Wilson, whose son Travis had Morgellon's disease.

While all of this is going on, it feels like bugs are crawling under your skin. So far more than 100 cases of Morgellons disease have been reported in South Texas.

"It really has the makings of a horror movie in every way," Savely said.

While Savely sees this as a legitimate disease, there are many doctors who simply refuse to acknowledge it exists, because of the bizarre symptoms patients are diagnosed as delusional.

"Believe me, if I just randomly saw one of these patients in my office, I would think they were crazy too," Savely said. "But after you've heard the story of over 100 (patients) and they're all — down to the most minute detail — saying the exact same thing, that becomes quite impressive."

Travis Wilson developed Morgellons just over a year ago. He called his mother in to see a fiber coming out of a lesion.

"It looked like a piece of spaghetti was sticking out about a quarter to an eighth of an inch long and it was sticking out of his chest," Lisa Wilson said. "I tried to pull it as hard as I could out and I could not pull it out."

The Wilson's spent $14,000 after insurance last year on doctors and medicine.

"Most of them are antibiotics. He was on Tamadone for pain. Viltricide, this was an anti-parasitic. This was to try and protect his skin because of all the lesions and stuff," Lisa said.

However, nothing worked, and 23-year-old Travis could no longer take it.

"I knew he was going to kill himself, and there was nothing I could do to stop him," Lisa Wilson said.

Just two weeks ago, Travis took his life.

Stephanie Bailey developed the lesions four-and-a-half years ago.

"The lesions come up, and then these fuzzy things like spores come out," she said.

She also has the crawling sensation.

"You just want to get it out of you," Bailey said.

She has no idea what caused the disease, and nothing has worked to clear it up.

"They (doctors) told me I was just doing this to myself, that I was nuts. So basically I stopped going to doctors because I was afraid they were going to lock me up," Bailey said.

Harriett Bishop has battled Morgellons for 12 years. After a year on antibiotics, her hands have nearly cleared up. On the day, we visited her she only had one lesion and she extracted this fiber from it.

"You want to get these things out to relieve the pain, and that's why you pull and then you can see the fibers there, and the tentacles are there, and there are millions of them," Bishop said.

So far, pathologists have failed to find any infection in the fibers pulled from lesions.

"Clearly something is physically happening here," said Dr. Randy Wymore, a researcher at the Morgellons Research Foundation at Oklahoma State University's Center for Health Sciences.

Wymore examines the fibers, scabs and other samples from Morgellon's patients to try and find the disease's cause.

"These fibers don't look like common environmental fibers," he said.

The goal at OSU is to scientifically find out what is going on. Until then, patients and doctors struggle with this mysterious and bizarre infection. Thus far, the only treatment that has showed some success is an antibiotic.

"It sounds a little like a parasite, like a fungal infection, like a bacterial infection, but it never quite fits all the criteria of any known pathogen," Savely said

No one knows how Morgellans is contracted, but it does not appear to be contagious. The states with the highest number of cases are Texas, California and Florida.

The only connection found so far is that more than half of the Morgellons patients are also diagnosed with Lyme disease.

For more information on Morgellons, visit the research foundation's Web site at www.morgellons.org.

2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I did more research and shocking...look below...

According to the Morgellons Research Foundation:

Additional symptons include: An extremely high percentage of our members report the following: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Fibromyalgia (Myalgic Encephalopathy or ME), "brain fog" or cognitive decline, ADHD, mood disorders (primarily Bipolar Disorder and depression), joint swelling and pain, rapid visual and neurological decline, autoimmune disease, and hair loss. Many of these common additional symptoms appear to be related to inflammation.

So weird...
  3. Strawberry94

Strawberry94 New Member

I know PV lady, they have been talking about this since some time last year, can't remember when. It is just sounds so painful and heartbreaking for these people.
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I saw that about the Morgellons disease too. That`s about the strangest disease I have ever heard of. Good grief what next?

I am in Norh Dakota. In South Dakota Mumps is speading everywhere. I`m sure it will be here soon. I`ve got to check my boys shot record and see if they are covered. They had the shot when they were very young. I am most worried about my 15 year old. Mumps can go down to the testicle area on males. That`s exactly what happened to my brother when he was a teen. He never could have kids after that.
  5. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Wow! How interesting, gross and yet timely. It looks like a lot of people are starting to get this; many are worried about the after-effects of Hurricane Katrina.

However, some people have ideas about things that are helping them -- discovering they work by trial and error.

I'll post the article I found below, but check out the link if you want to read the user comments -- which are from people who have or know someone who have a Corembolla infection, a possible cause of Morgellon's.

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/59h812451976037.html

"Laboratory Evaluation of Endoscope Water Bottles

Tiny Bugs Wreak Havoc; Report of Collembola as Human Parasites Supports Recent Research Findings
    Posted on: 09/08/2005

NEEDHAM, Mass. -- Collembola, also known as springtails or snow fleas, are described in the authoritative "Biology of Springtails" by Hopkin as among the most widespread and abundant terrestrial arthropods on earth.

Collembola are referred to as the earliest fossil proof of insect life on the planet, and now, Collembola are being found in human hair and skin. Infestations appear to be communicable from particular environmental conditions or from one person to another, and there is no known cure once a person is infested. And worse yet, people desperate for medical help with this problem are seldom taken seriously.

A 1955 report to the medical literature, apparently overlooked or ignored, sheds new light on the problem as well as raises awareness of the National Pediculosis Association (NPA)’s efforts to alert the medical community and public health officials to the ability of Collembola to infest or colonize humans.

In 2004, the NPA reported Collembola in skin scrapings collected from 18 of 20 research participants in its study published in the Journal of the New York Entomological Society (http://www.headlice.org/news/2004/delusory.htm). Some Collembola experts disagreed with the NPA's research findings, insisting that it was impossible for Collembola to live in human skin.

Deborah Altschuler, lead author of the NPA paper, likens the scenario of Collembola and humans to the discovery of Helicobacter (H.) pylori otherwise hidden in the stomach lining, and the erroneous yet long held assumption that the stomach was a sterile environment and that peptic ulcers were caused by lifestyle choices. According to Kimball C. Atwood, MD, physicians scoffed when first faced with the notion of a bacterial basis for peptic ulcer disease.

Altschuler asserts that there is more of a scientific basis for Collembola in humans than the entomologist and physician's overwhelming acceptance of a psychiatric explanation (delusions of parasitosis) for people's sensations of biting, stinging and crawling in their skin.

The NPA says even the experts appear to have missed this 1955 Swedish Medical Journal report in which the well-respected entomologist, anthropologist and author, Felix Bryk, refers to the incidence of Collembola in humans as a plague, making mention of colleagues who during that time had also found Collembola as parasites in humans. Bryk said the Springtail Sira, (today's spelling is Seira), was a human parasite being confirmed for the first time in Sweden. All this prompted him to write a report to the medical literature in which he stated, “Until now, Collembolans or ‘springtails’ have played a miniscule role as parasitic insects on the human body from an entomological/medical standpoint. Rarely, if ever, are they mentioned in the scientific literature. However the appearance of a previously unknown Collembolan as an occasional parasite that for years caused depression in a patient and continues to do so … has now rightly gotten the attention of scientists.”

Source: NPA"
    [This Message was Edited on 05/13/2006]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for posting this. As scary as it is, we are better off knowing what lurks out there.

Love, Mikie
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

for the responses. My husband was horrified and kept asking if it was contageous
    I find it interesting many victims have Lymes, Fibro,CFS- basically lowered immune systems.
    I will take fibro any day over this.
    I wish they would do a 20/20 show on this.
    It is enough to give you nightmares.

Also, it is interesting about the meteorite with the same fibers.
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member