Uncomfortable News

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JP, Apr 25, 2003.

1. JP

JP New Member

Just need to post tonight...

I saw my doctor today to address/face the issue of work/career. I have been her patient for over 11 years now. I have been home for 16 months. I needed a bit of a reality check. She gave me the feedback. I didn't like what was said. She basically said that my body won't allow me to work, which I already knew on many levels. Work has always been my *drug of choice* in crude terms. The more I had on my plate, the more distracted I was from my chronic pain. I had a tearful afternoon.

Thank you for being here.
    Jan
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry to hear how you feel. There are just times in our lives that we need to step back for awhile.

I hate the though of the things I can't do anymore, its something that is always dogging my footsteps.

But, you know there are more things in life that does not require us to be so tremendously active all the time.

This was a hard lesson for me to learn, and I can see you are not going to take this easy either.

Just let the news sink in, and then start making plans as to what you can do! You will be suprised at how much life has to offer even if we can't do it all at one time anymore.

Take care, and have a goodnights sleep.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I know tonite you are grieving the loss of your life as it was. The best medicine in my book is replacing the void. Find those things which make you happy and you are able to do, to pursue. There are plenty of venues that can bring not only distraction from pain, but a profound sense of pride and value.

Perhaps looking at this as a door closing, but a new door opening full of opportunities. You now have the chance to accomplish many things that you could not in the work world. You have time now to increase commitment to relationships around you; to try those things you never had time for before.

I think probably before you spoke with her, you knew this, you just needed validation. One aspect of your life is now permanently changed; but work is not enduring; everyone losses it sooner or later, but now you have the possibilities of discovering, or doing those things that were always put off.

I am sorry, I know how hard this realization is, and we must go through the grieving process at the loss of our self. We can invent a new self though, with purpose, happiness, and new endeavors.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers,
    Soft hugs,
    LL
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry. The day we finally face that fact is so hard. On the other hand, it means we have finally stopped living in denial and are ready to face the challenge of healing. Mark this day because down the road, you will see it as a positive turning point.

You no longer need to expend so much energy (denial is a LOT of work). That energy can be used for researching, reading, trying new treatments, and healing your body, mind, and soul.

Remember, we are not what we do. We are each valued individuals and nowhere are we more valued than here and in God's eyes.

Please try to keep these thoughts in your mind as you go forward.

Love, Mikie
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

I mourned and greived at the loss of my go go girl life but after a few months I got tired of that and the pragmatic side of me took over and I looked around and am now learning to make the very most of what I have. Every time I go to the grocery store I almost always find someone to help and I cannot tell you how good this 5 min encounter makes me feel. Befor I was running thru grabbing stuff I didnt see the people in the store as anything but obsticles in my hurried way. This is just a silly little example of how differently I am not conducting my search for joy and pleasure each day but after the initial adjustment, acceptance period you will find a way to be that is meaningful. It is a journey of discovery of inner self. Dont be afraid, it doesnt hurt and can feel sooooo good.
  6. JP

JP New Member

for your kind words. I am moved by these generous words of support. I feel blessed to have a place like this that helps me feel more connected to the world; a place to give and receive love and support. It makes such a difference.

thank you again and again...jan
  7. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Must fill,
    I to was on the look for a job ,My pain pill"s have been making me fill ,Great , but ,Once againe the med"s got screwed up !!!! forgot to take antideppresaint"s (spelling not Good !!!! anyway scared me away from all pill"s for a few day's , Thing are getting back to nomal, But No moor job hunting ,My Dr also said , Working is not a good Ideal
    So I'v decided to be thankfull to God for what I do have , A loving family ,
    I also loved working !!!!! but time change"s all, hope I made you fill better,, take care
    cindy G