Under Weight ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Dec 9, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I've heard some of talking about being overweight. I have the exact opposite problem as I find it difficult to eat much of the time and am too exhausted to do so. Anyone in the same boat ???? Thanks your FM Bud, Laura
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am 5 ft 6in and weigh 117 lbs. I used to weigh that much when I was younger and it looked OK, but now that I am in my late 40's, I think it makes me look old and scrawny. I have been able to put back on a few lbs over the past month or so but until I'm off the candida diet, I think it's impossible for me to gain any more. I would like to gain back at least 10 lbs. 130 looks pretty good on me at this age.

I know there are many others like us on the board. Jolielulu talks about being too thin and I remember more but can't think of who they are. My twin sis "twinofdar" has this issue too. She weighs the same as me but last summer she was so thin, we were really worried!!

When I turned 40 I gained 30 lbs. I thought I'd never be thin again, so it's kind of funny that I'm trying to gain weight now!
  3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I'm 5'6" and right now about 98 lbs. I've weighed between 100-104 for the past few years but have lost weight at times and have been as low as 96lbs.

My problems with eating are the same as yours. I'm too tired to put food in my mouth, or not hungry because of pain or sometimes when I'm stressed the weight just comes off (which seems to be a lot lately).

My husband is always on me about gaining weight but somehow I just can't seem to keep it on. So in the meantime I'll just keep eating those extra snacks (chocolate preferably) and keep trying LOL

Sincerely
    JL
  4. meeee74

meeee74 New Member

I am 5' 9" and 133lbs. Lost 15 lbs when I tried Paxil back in October. Loss of appetite caused it. Stopped taking SSRIs and still can't seem to get weight back on. wanna get back to 140 aat least. Long, hard road... My appetite is better... lots, but portions still aren't the best size. But I'm trying and know the frustration. HUGS!!!

Erica
  5. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Well, I'd been avoiding it for months as I've had a terrible past few months. I'm 5' 4" and am about 110 lbs. I need to get some weight on, as I feel if I do get sick with something, I'll be toast. I have tried the high fat foods, but of coarse that doen't help if I can't eat. I've really had to push myself, and practically live on gravol. I find anything greasy really turns me off. I'm going to try something new. I've always fully cooked all our meals from scratch to save money, but this week when I go to Grocery store, I'll get alot of open & eat foods. Or heat & eat. Thanks for your replys, Laura
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I too find it almost impossible to eat when I'm in a severe CFIDS state. I'm exhausted to the point where I just don't have it in me to eat. I've gone underweight many times throughout this illness.

Strangely, I began a medication last winter that put weight on me (Doxepin) INSTANTLY.......and without any added food. When it didn't help me sleep, I went off......BUT THE ADDED WEIGHT STAYED ON.

So now, even though I don't eat much, for some reason I still have this added weight.....very bizarre and driving me crazy!

For a year I've wanted to put some weight on and now I'm dying to get my belly back to normal.....it's making my body all out of proportion and all clothes uncomfortable.

So, even though I have this unnatural fat around my belly, I do know what you're saying about being too sick to eat and keep the weight up.

scapper
  7. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I'm not underweight right now, but at 5'5" i've been about 105-110. Right now I'm thin at about 120. Usual weight for me should be around 135.

Everytime I get a crash, my weight drops. I can't get out of bed, I live alone, how do I eat? Sometimes my friends will help (bless their little hearts they're so great!) but it's not enough to keep the pounds from melting off.

I am okay with being at 120, but I am still losing weight due to the millions of things making me sick right now. I don't know how thin I'm going to get this time. Maybe southern food will help keep my weight up lol (I'm visiting my boyfriend in Virginia next week for the whole holiday season!) Honestly with me, I'm not too concerned.

Whatever happened to meals on wheels?
  8. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

I was underweight until my diagnosis this past spring. I gained appx 20ish lbs since then. I think its meds and decreased activity, I just cant push myself like I did because of reprocussion. I read an article yesterday that said most ppl experience a weight gain of 30lbs avg after diagnosis. What I have found though through my own personal experience of weight gain is that I feel worse :(
    I have got to get some back off!
  9. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I'm right at the low end of the BMI scale. I attribute a lot of it to being too tired or pained to care so much about food, and when I do, I just want something simple. I think the constant stress keeps me on the small side also.

My sister has trouble gaining weight, and she's seen a nutritionist. Her advice was to add in Carnation Instant Breakfasts to her diet, 2-3 times a day if possible. The Carnation ones have the most fat/calories/protein compared with the Ensures, and other supplement drinks. You can use a blender to mix in ice cream with them, to make them taste better, and add more calories.
  10. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I'm 5' 6" and fluctuate between 123 and 130. When I get depressed, my appetite is the first to go. Also if I don't exercise, I lose muscle mass quickly.
  11. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I'm 5'4" and weighed 110 lbs until I got my puppy! Now I weigh 114 lbs. (fully clothed and wearing shoes). For me I think it's depression and fatigue. Nausea and no appetite. I eat because I know I have to, not because I'm hungry. I try to make sure I get at least a can of V8 juice and an apple down each day. I'm 56, and 110 lbs doesn't look as good at 56 as it did in my 20's.

The puppy keeps me busy, so I have had a slight appetite increase. Still can't eat dinner though, just too ehausted and nausiated. Some days all I can manage is breakfast (cereal).
    Mini
  12. Doober

Doober New Member

At 6'3" I have always been somewhere about 225 to 235 lbs. My last weight in at the doctors was 200 lbs a week ago. One of the reasons is I don't eat as much as I used to. Now a days I usually just eat once daily with the exceptions of those few days when I eat 2 meals because I am in the mood. My jaws get tired when I chew and after I am done eating my whole mouth and jaws feel like they are vibrating, so just feel uncomfortable. Another reason is that Topamax is one of those meds that also promote weight loss to the body as a side affect.
  13. scrappyjrt

scrappyjrt New Member

I have been losing steadily from Ulcerative Colitis. I got a new RX 2 months ago for chronic pain called Lyrica. The main side effect is weight gain! I don't have real good eating habits,I just eat what I can tolerate. But I have gained 10 lbs! I don't even know why,but I did! Could it be possible this can help?
  14. brajermat

brajermat New Member

I have always been underweight too and everyone said after I had kids that would change, well I've had 3 and am skinnier than ever! 5'3" and 92 lbs. My depression doesn't help at all, when I feel bad I could care less about eating. I know people can't understand and say I am lucky, but I certainly don't feel lucky. I know if I could eat more maybe I would have a little more energy. Sorry I'm just ranting I really don't have any advice, just thought I would let you know you're not alone.
  15. abcanada

abcanada New Member

It does make me feel better to know I'm not alone. I appreciate all of your comments. There are definately times when I feel disgustingly thin. Just have to keep working at it I guess. I'd taken Prednisone for short intervals and immediately gained(mostly in the face looking funny & out of proportion). You can't win I guess. Take care, Laura
  16. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I thought about this as well so thanks for the post abcanada.

when I was at my worse I was down to 45kg (99lbs)

I was eating but I couldn't process it, everything made me really really sick, and exhausted.

I went on an elimanation diet, I now dont have dairy, anything with soy in it, and limit wheat and sugar.

sounds like a lot to take out but I have actually been able to gain weight Im now 56kg (123lbs) a very normal weight for me, and I no longer get sick from eating. Over all it has made me feel much much better

evol
  17. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I lost 90lbs in a very short time, about 3 months, and everyone thought I had the Big C.
    But after a dozen tests, of all kinds, they said it was the FMS, there is a subset, who lose weight as oppose to thoes who gain it and can't lose it.

I have a couple of Sisters who are that way, can't lose weight, and it's not because they eat a lot.
    I think it's a Hormonal problem, with the FMS, and I do remember reading about it in Dr. Devin Starlanyl's book.

I have a hard time eating anything, I get nauseated from most foods, and with IBS, it doesn't take much to make that flare, so I avoid the foods that "Bite Me Back", lol.

I was always skinny when I was growing up, and in my early years, then for about 7years I was overweight. I think that is when the FMS Symptoms really set in.

Cheers,
    sharonk
  18. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I’m skating right on the edge here. Like mollystwin, I gained weight in my 40s. I put on 25 lbs. in about 2 years. Then my weight stabilized, but I could not lose. After several years, I gave away most of my normal sized clothes.

Then the weight started going off and I am back to (or slightly below) normal weight. Since most of my clothes are now too big for me, it make me look even thinner than I really am.

One of the problems with quick eating is that it is often not healthful eating. I sometimes buy those microwave dinners when they are on sale. I do get the low fat ones, but they are often high in sodium. They also run 200 - 300 calories. That is hardly a meal for someone trying to lose weight, let alone maintain or gain weight. I at least have some fruit along with them and sometime add some extra frozen veggies.

There is a new fruit juice called Naked that has various nutritional additives (vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber), but it is expensive.

Some fairly quick, not too expensive, healthful food ideas:

Day 1: Cook a large piece of meat (chicken, turkey breast, etc). Microwave a sweet potato or potato. Peel the potato, if necessary, after it is cooked (it’s easier). Heat up a frozen veggie.
    Day 2: cut up remaining meat and saute with frozen veggies. Put over brown rice or whole grain pasta. Freeze what is left over. (I freeze just the meat/veggie mixture & cook the rice or pasta as I need it.)

Day 1: Cook a large pan of tortilla filling. Fill one tortilla & eat. Put lid on pan & put in refrigerator.
    Day 2: Fill the rest of the tortillas. Eat one. Wrap the rest in plastic wrap and freeze.

On days when you are working on preparing one meal, you can get the other meal out of the freezer.

Cook some frozen tortellini and frozen vegetable in low fat, low sodium broth.

Cook veggie spirals pasta. Heat tomato bisque soup with milk. Combine & top with grated parmesan cheese.

Cook cereal in milk instead of water. Add dried, frozen or fresh fruit.

Add fruit (and milk) to high fiber, no sugar added, prepared cereal.

Stir a beaten egg into chicken broth.

Combine beef broth and tomato/veggie juice. Heat and drink.
  19. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hi,
    This weight problem is enough to drive one over the bend along with all the other crap we have to deal with.

Mine goes up and down,while I was on the med Remeron,it was going up but not because of what I was eating it was the pill.

Now I am off it and it took awhile but the weight is dropping,a lot.My husband keeps after me,but he doesnt understand that with this DD.,you do not feel like eating.

Take Care!!
    Jordane