Understanding the Bible...

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by jole, Sep 23, 2009.

1. jole

jole Member

First of all, thank you for volunteering to help me, Shirl, in my quest for understanding. My question is for you and anyone wanting to help.

I guess my problem is this: I know there are mysteries that I will never find the answers to about many things...that none of us will know on this earth; but what I can't seem to get is the fact that there are so many ways to interpret every single verse in the Bible, so how do we know if our interpretation is the right one?

Is it just that each of us "gets what we need" when we read? I think there's more to it than that, but I'm not sure what it is. I can take each verse literally and meditate on it, and learn a lot. But the next person can take the same verse and find something totally different. Especially with the Psalms. What am I missing here? (Does this make sense to anyone?) Am I trying too hard or not hard enough? I love reading the Bible but sometimes feel I get lost......thanks for your help........Jole

Edit: Wow! I can really tell I had a headache when I wrote this...lol...I didn't mean Psalms at all....I meant Proverbs!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2009]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You know I was always taught that when we pray, we are speaking to God, when we read His Word, He is speaking to us! I would say that is why many of us get different answers when we study the same Scriptures. There are times when I will study the same verse/chapter over and find a different answer each time. It is what I needed at that time from the Lord.

Threre are many mysteries in the Bible, that we are not to know in this world, or at this time in His timetable (which is different from ours), we are not ready to know them yet.

Another thing we have to understand is that there are times when our Lord says 'no', when we pray about something. That has always been a hard one for me! But when He says 'no', its always for our own good at that time. Many times we are not ready for what we are asking for just right then. It could also be bad for us in the longrun, and He knows this and we don't.

There is also a Scripture that says; 'All Scripture is of NO private interpertation', therefore we take licence with that. We know that the Spirit will interepet some Scriptures as He sees fit for each of us to understand in our way.

Do try asking the Holy Spirit to lead you in study, that way you are getting your information direct from the author! It always worked for me, and He did inspire the men who wrote the Bible to write as the Lord saw fit for it to be written for us.

You are not missing anything, you are a very good student! you chase down a scripture like a Pit Bull! you want to know, and when you want to know the Lord will allow you, as your heart is in it fully. Keep doing what you are doing.

As for the Psams, they are Songs of David and a few others to the Lord. They fanaciate me! I find so much wisdom in them than most anywhere else. Proverbs too, full of wisdom.

Personally, I think you are doing so well, I know the Lord will bless you for your wonderful efford. Most people do not take the Bible so seriously as you do.

Just keep in mind a lot is kept in secret till the right time, therefore we will not understand it all now. But we will someday, either at the time of the end of this age, or at the knee of Jesus!

I hope this helped a little for you. Its eary for me,but I saw your post and want to let you know I responded.

God's blessings on you, and keep studying, you will be teaching all of us soon!

Shalom, Shirl

P.S. You also might want to study one Book at a time, my favorite was the Book of James, but 1 st. John is another one that is just wonderful.

[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  3. jole

jole Member

Thank you so much for your reply! It gives me hope that I can learn more, and that I'm not taking the Bible wrong. Your words are beautiful!

I read the book "The Shack" and though I realize it's just one person's "view".....I feel I learned a lot from it, with regards to questions not answered by God, and why.....among other things. I really had to open myself up to that book, though, because it was not "my" vision of God...but I certainly got the point.

As for the Bible, it's sooo beautifully written, and yes, Psalms are wonderful, straight-forward, praises. Proverbs elude me at times...more often than not, it seems.

The first time through the Bible, I "read" it. This time through the Bible, I'm "listening" to it. This time I started with Acts, and feel I'm doing much better. It seems there is so much that can be related to today's world situation, along with everything else in life.

I love Romans 12...... it makes me feel I didn't fail with my life, although I wish I could do more now. Anyway, thank you Shirl! I appreciate your reply sooo much..............Jole
  4. spacee

spacee Member

Maybe it will help you.

In the greek which the New Testament was written, there are two different greek words used for "the Word of God". One is Logos. It means "the whole body of the Word of God". Or the Bible.

The other is Ramos (I hope I have the spelled correctly). It is when the "Word of God" from the Bible is speaks directly to your heart". That is where you get your direction and "hear" from God for a specific situation.

There have been many times when I have gotten my Bible and said, "God, I Must hear from You" and I wait and a verse comes to my mind and it is just what it needed to hear for correction, guidance, reassurance.

Ramos is when God "personalizes" the bible to our situation.

Hope that helps.

Spacee
  5. jole

jole Member

I'd never heard that before....thanks! It does make sense, and also answers my question. The Ramos...oh boy, there are times I can open the Bible to a random page, or even my meditation book, and it will be exactly what I seem to be needing at the time. So I definitely believe that God guides us. He is so loving.........

It's great to have you guys around to walk me through all this. Thanks again.........Jole