Unexplained tonsil infection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Jun 25, 2008.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Sorry for so many posts here today!

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. This is the 3rd time I have had a tonsil infection. My doctor doesn't know what it is. My tonsils will become extremely swollen and become covered in white spots. Last night was the worst it has ever been. I almost had more white than tonsil visible. Since then the spots have decreased in number but they're still there. My tonsils are still extremely swollen.

The other two times I have gone to the doctor about it, they have done a strep test and both times it has been negative. They have no idea what it is, but they prescribe me a Z-pack (antibiotic for those of you who wouldn't know) and it goes away.

Is it caused by the CFS? I didn't start getting it until I began having problems of CFS. Before that when it was just the FM it never happened.

I'm so scared they're going to tell me to have a tonsillectomy.
  2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

your poor tonsils are trying to filter toxins and other nasty things that may come from CFS , and they are being overloaded.

Just my uneducated ( medical - wise ) guess !

3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

the only thing that I can come up with. It hasn't proven to be contagious so far and antibiotics take care of it.
  4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Have you had a mono test? White spots on the tonsils with a negative strep is a strong indicator of mono.

I would call the dr. and ask him to run the blood test for mono (but not the quick one - not as reliable).

Feel better.

5. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I went to the doctor. It wasn't strep and it wasn't mono. She said that she has seen this as a viral illness going around.

However, she did note that it was strange that I wasn't running a fever with it like everyone else, which makes me wonder if it is still connected to the CFS.
  6. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Ha-Ha! Only kidding! :)

I say that 'cause you are describing my throat! I don't understand it either. It comes as fast as it goes. When it flares up, I feel like crap all over, and I can't swallow or anything.

I have noticed that when I become overly stressed or tired it seems to flare up more.

I should see my Dr. about it, but on my days off he is so far away for me to drive, (I feel too lazy, I hate to say that)...so I just deal with it.

A few people at my hospital that I work at did say I should have them removed, but I guess that it is a really tough surgery to recover from as an adult if you have FM, so of course I have not looked into that, either. :(

Take care, and I hope that you feel better!

Tropical Girl
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]